Travel on Green card

fpfinally

Registered Users (C)
Might sound like a dumb question. But want to make sure.

I am travelling to India this saturday. Apart from the green card and the passport, are there any other documents I need to carry?

I got my passport stamped earlier this week. I am going to travel to India next week. As expected I will not be getting the plastic card before I leave for India. So what documents do I need to carry other than my passport.

fermat007 said:
I got my passport stamped earlier this week. I am going to travel to India next week. As expected I will not be getting the plastic card before I leave for India. So what documents do I need to carry other than my passport.

Offically, none. I asked my lawyer this question last week. When you return they will probably look up your A# and your fine. The stamp is as good as a plastic card for entry. If you want to feel better, you could always carry the courtesy copy of your approval notice. I plan to.

i travelled to canada and back earlier this week w. Stamped passport (8/2 stamp) and there were absolutely no issues.

on arrival in canada, the officer asked if we had green cards and i showed her the stamps, stating cards will arrive in a few months. she seemed to have seen enough of these and had no further questions other than the usual where would we stay and for how long etc.

on boarding the plane in vancouver where US immigration check is done, the officer looked up the stamp, entered the A number in to his computer and glanced at whatever came back and grumpily said "welcome home". i think they are instructed to say these words to all PR and citizens though he didnt seem like he meant it at all :) the whole thing took less than 2 minute total
for both of us.

Other than GC + passport, you don't need any further documents.

Wac-ed_in_CA,

It is usually complusory/customary for the immigration officers to 'welcome' you back. Most times they are good about it, not sure if it matters whether you are a citizen or just a PR, but I guess I would be more relieved that I don't have to go through the uncertainty that I have had in all my entries so far, whether they will allow me in the country or not. No idea where that fear comes from but it has always been part and parcel of my entry process.

fpfinally said:
Might sound like a dumb question. But want to make sure.

I am travelling to India this saturday. Apart from the green card and the passport, are there any other documents I need to carry?

The book: "Green Card for Dummies".

Oh well Take your Tickets !!!!! Just Kidding Maaan.

You have enuf documents with you for reentry into US (if you want to).

Good Luck and Wish You a Happy and Safe Journey

I kinda like pralay's suggestion even if it is a tad unkind... :D
All the best for your trip tomorrow, fpfinally.

Just kidding about the "dummy" though. Missed your approval - belated Congratulations! Have fun!

i went to india 2 weeks ago with just the stamp in my passport. i carried nothing else. smooth return through frankfurt and into SFO.

Thanks For the response. Although some of them were funny ;)

Green card for Dummies.. I liked that

Thanks niladri30