Travel on AP-URGENT PLS PLS REPLY!!!

Jeetu_recruiter

Registered Users (C)
Due to serious condition of my relative we have to make a sudden travel plan to India. I would really appreciate experiences of all who have been in similar situation and travelled.

We both have I485 pending and have AP(valid till March 2006) and EAD. I am on H1B status and my wife is on H1B status too but both our visa stamps have expired but we both have H1B approval notices valid till April 2006 and Sept 2007 respectively. We would like to enter using AP.I have the following queries

1. What documents do we need to carry or will they ask while entering
2. Does the officer keep AP with him or stamps it and gives it back to us. Does he stamp the passport also. We just have to present one AP copy right?
3. Besides AP and passport do we have to show anything else
4. Do we have to carry original I485 receipt notices also.
5. I have heard that we need to get transit visa for our stopover destination if we are using AP is that true.
6. Do we carry any other document like employment letter and paystubs etc.
7. I am a little nervous, do we have to keep anything else in mind while travelling.
8. Do we carry our H1B petitions also?
9. Can the officer ask any questions related to our job or other.
10. Can they deny entry if we have valid AP and passport.

Jeetu_recruiter said:
Due to serious condition of my relative we have to make a sudden travel plan to India. I would really appreciate experiences of all who have been in similar situation and travelled.

We both have I485 pending and have AP(valid till March 2006) and EAD. I am on H1B status and my wife is on H1B status too but both our visa stamps have expired but we both have H1B approval notices valid till April 2006 and Sept 2007 respectively. We would like to enter using AP.I have the following queries

1. What documents do we need to carry or will they ask while entering
AP only (to be on the safe side: I-485 receipt notice, current paycheck)
2. Does the officer keep AP with him or stamps it and gives it back to us. Does he stamp the passport also. We just have to present one AP copy right?

He will stamp the AP and passport and return it. One copy is fine but why not take all copies, in case your wallet is stolen, you will still have the extra AP copies.

3. Besides AP and passport do we have to show anything else
4. Do we have to carry original I485 receipt notices also.

Copy is fine.

5. I have heard that we need to get transit visa for our stopover destination if we are using AP is that true.

Depends on the country. I travelled thru Amsterdam, Kuwait and Paris without transit visas.

6. Do we carry any other document like employment letter and paystubs etc.

Can't hurt to carry.

7. I am a little nervous, do we have to keep anything else in mind while travelling.
No need to be nervous- it is not your fault that your I-485 is not adjudicated in 6 months as directed by President Bush.

8. Do we carry our H1B petitions also?

Can't hurt to carry.

9. Can the officer ask any questions related to our job or other.

he can ask anything - you just have to be polite and truthful.

10. Can they deny entry if we have valid AP and passport.

No. Even if your I-485 is denied while you are away, they will let you in to start the appeal process.

thanks for the quick replies, appreciate it

while leaving US if they ask old I94 then which ones should we handover the white one which is expired or the one attached to our H1B approval notices.

I should handover all of them(I-94). Both the white one and also the one with H1B approval notice.

I did last time when I went to India.

thank you guys for the quick response also my wife's passport is in her maiden name and AP document is in married name, will that cause any problems at POE?