Travel on AP - Questions

imramesh

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
My wife is planning to travel on AP next month (08/25/03).She may stay in India for 3 months.
Our 485 receipt date is 04/11/2003.

* First of all is there any problem in traveling on AP at this time (my 485 receipt date 04/11/03) ?

* Is it okay to stay for such a long time outside the country and come back on AP ?
Is there any limit on duration of stay ?

* Once she gets back on AP, do we have to update the INS with the new I-94 since
I-485 is pending ?

Can some one answer my above questions?

Thanks in advance for your time and interest.

Ramesh

Thanks a lot AnotherGCApplic.

Can you or some one answer the following question(s) too.

* What is the typical question that will be asked when entering back on AP ?

* what should be a typical answer (spouse's) ?

* What are all the documents does she have to carry with her apart from AP ?

Thanks again

Ramesh

Question asked..!
* Is GC employment based or Who is sponsoring your GC etc
* Relevant Answer
* Pls ask her to carry I485 Receipt Notice, in addition to all other GC Related documents[just in case]
Hope this helps

imramesh:

Typically, they won't ask any questions while returning on AP. However, they could possibly ask questions relating to why you visited India, where are you returning from, how long you stayed there, where you live in the US, who's the primary GC applicant, what's the title and for which company you work, etc. It could be anything related to your application.

Make sure that she carries a valid passport, original AP document, original EAD, copy of the 485 Receipt Notice, copies of any existing or previous visas (H4, etc.). These are all 'just-in-case' documents. Typically, they will simply stamp the AP and let you go. Yes, they will issue a fresh I-94. Make sure that she returns before the AP expires. Hope that helps.

our experience.....

imramesh,

Posting our experience, which comes with the standard disclaimer that experiences may differ based on many factors like POE, so this is just that...OUR experience.

My spouse returned after 7-1/2 months stay outside on this weekend. One has to return before the expiry date printed on the AP that's it. So it is suggested that plan to enter at least one week before expiry of AP to provide room for other problems that might crop up like cancelled/delayed flight.

- POE was Philadelphia.

- Documents carried were
*** Passport (validity at least 6 months from the date you enter US)
*** ORIGINAL AP's (all copies). Make enough copies to give to airlines etc. if need be. The originals are to be given only at the POE.
*** Copies of I-485 receipt notice, of the travelling applicant, and if he/she is a derivative it is suggested that they carry a copy of I-485 of the primary applicant. Now many say to carry the I-485 ORIGINAL receipt notice, but since our's was with the lawyer and the lawyer informed us (through email) that copies are enough a print-out of that email was carried along. Just to prove a point that we did make an effort to get the originals. If you can muscle out the originals from your lawyer, get it.
*** EAD and SSN cards
*** Other docs that one may carry, though many may feel it is unnecessary, are copies of marriage certificate if derivative applicant.
*** Some proof that you left US shores only after the AP's were approved. These would be either bording pass while you left or paystubs from employer in US. Now this was suggested to us by my company's para-legal.

Questions asked:

Is your employer sponsoring your residency?
How long have you been outside US?

Other questions that might be asked
Why were you away for so long?

Was not even fingerprinted (now that was surprising) !!! and was issued an I-94 valid for an year.

Hope this answers many of your questions. Even I was very nervous about this whole AP entry, until last week, but now am confident that if you have all papers in order, nothing to worry.

Again stating above is from our experience.

sgi

The only pain in the neck thing is that those sick idiots working in the immigration office at the POE would take a long time to verify the AP. That is the only place those psycho Govt. workers can show their power. So if you have a connecting flight, you should make sure that you have at least 5-6 hours or more gap.

Thanks a lot AnotherGCApplic.

Can you or some one answer the following question(s) too.

* What is the typical question that will be asked when entering back on AP ?

* what should be a typical answer (spouse's) ?

* What are all the documents does she have to carry with her apart from AP ?

Thanks again

Ramesh

Can someone use 2 AP.

My wife is planing to visit india from october to march.
And her AP would expire on Feb 5th 2004. H4 would be expired.

So when she left she had valid AP on hand
When she returns she would have new AP on hand. which was applied before october?

Or this could cause problems?

Thanks

Re: Can someone use 2 AP.

Originally posted by Sanjaypatel9

When she returns she would have new AP on hand. which was applied before october?

Or this could cause problems?

Thanks

There should be no problem if AP has not expired while leaving US and also when returning back.

AP is needed at POE while entering into US, nobody cares for your AP while leaving US !

Hope this helps !!

Please do your research and consult your attorney before your wife leaves US.

From what I understand is that the AP used to enter US should have been approved before the applicant leaves US. Also, AP can be applied only when the person is in US.