Travel:I94 surrender

manusai

Registered Users (C)
Travel:I94 surrender
Guys please help!!!

I will be traveling to India next week. My H1 visa in the passport is expired. I have a valid extension. Planning to get my visa stamped in India.

Question:

I have an old I94 in the passport and a new I94 which came with the approval notice. Which I94 card should I surrender when I travel?

Has anybody got his visa stamped in India. Do you need the new I94 (Which came with the approval notice) to get the visa stamped?

Thanks in Advance.

New I94 replaces the old one. It also invalidates the previously issued form. You should submit your new I94 to prove that you are not overstaying in the US. Theoretically, they may not request I94 in the Consulate because it's supposed to be surrended when you leave the US. However, I'd recommend you check with a Consulate as to what documents to bring. They wanted a copy of my application in Canada and I didn't have it. Fortunately, they were courtous enough to schedule an appointment for the next day so that my lawyer could fax the copy.

Then again, I've never been to a Consulate in India.

Thanks

Thanks Pysar and Maverick1976.

Maverick1976,

Did you get your h1 stamped in India? Any suggestions from your experience?

Thanks again.

manusai,

I submitted both of them. I got my visa satmped in Delhi - India. You do not need I-94 for visa stamping. But you do need approval notice. It is a very smooth process. I have done it twice. Each time I used Drop Box. I took emplyment letter, approval notice, Income tax returns, recent pay stubs, recent bank notices with me.

Noknurd

I traveled to india last month.
I had my F1 - I-94 from back in 2000, then in 2001 I got my H1 approval and hence another I-94
when I left US last month, I surrendered my new I-94 (the one with H1 approval notice)
At the mumbai consulate, the consul asked me just one question (have you been working for the same employer since you graduated) and I got my VISA

goodluck