Travel during citizenship process

grad94

Hello all,

Here is my situation. I plan to apply for for naturalization shortly (N-400). I will also have to make short international trips of about 2 weeks during each month. If I assume that the process takes about 4 months, that is about 2 months out of the country.

I am a LPR for 10+ years. At the time of filing, in the past 5 years, I will have traveled outside the country for a total of about 70 days. The longest time outside in a single trip is about 35 days. I have also resided in my residence for about 3 years at the time of filing N-400.

Given these, is it ok for me to make the short trips mentioned above during the citizenship process. I will time it such a way that I will be here for the finger printing, interview and oath.

thanks for your time.

It is perfectly OK to travel the way you described. Make sure someone home is checking your mail and notifies you of any appointments.

I think you should be fine, but to be safe take a letter from your employer to the interview stating you travel often for work.

Hello all,

Here is my situation. I plan to apply for for naturalization shortly (N-400). I will also have to make short international trips of about 2 weeks during each month. If I assume that the process takes about 4 months, that is about 2 months out of the country.

I am a LPR for 10+ years. At the time of filing, in the past 5 years, I will have traveled outside the country for a total of about 70 days. The longest time outside in a single trip is about 35 days. I have also resided in my residence for about 3 years at the time of filing N-400.

Given these, is it ok for me to make the short trips mentioned above during the citizenship process. I will time it such a way that I will be here for the finger printing, interview and oath.

thanks for your time.

Most likely this kind of travel will be OK, but to get a more definitive response you'd have to give us more details about the purpose of these trips abroad that you are planning to take.

By the way, your estimate of the entire process taking 4 months is a bit too optimistic. You should plan for it to take something like 6 months.