Travel Doc to China for child born in US?

Jhon Li

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Perhaps this is the side line. Don't think other website to post.
I have an 1 year old son. He was born in US. We have a hard time to raise him here. We want to send him to China. Checking the Chinese embassy website, I notice that if both parents are Chinese and neither of them are US citizen or have green card, we can consider apply "Travel Document" (Lu-Xing-Zheng) instead of "Visa" to China for my son.
Both my wife and I filed 485 in 2001, have not got approved for either of us. I think we can apply for "Travel Document" for my son to China.
I don't know what the difference exactly is between "Travel Document" & "Visa" to China and which way is the preferred one to go for my son.
Any experienced opinion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jhong

Getting the "Travel Document" is better. Anyway, Chinese Consulate won't issue your child a visa or a Chinese passport. "Travel Document" is used like a passport, it is cheaper than a visa and is good for a long period.

Travel document is better than visa since travel document authorize your son to stay in China for much longer period than Visa does since your son is a US citizen.

In addition, do not forget to apply a U.S. passport for your son before you leave. Also, please double check the expiration date of your AP, passport and/or H-1B visa for your easy return to the States.

---Compaqdb

Re:

Yes, Travel document is better. That means China concider your son is still a chinese citizen. And apply a US passport for your son. Use Travel document to get into China and US passport to get back to US for your son.

Good Luck!

:)

Do I have to take my son to the Consulate?

Thank you for all the reponding.
I live in NJ. I am wondering if I have to take my son to see the consulate and apply for the travel document. He is small. If I can avoid taking him with me to see the consulate, that will be great.

Jhong

No, I do not think you have to take your son to the consulate. You can check their website and call them if necessary.

Yeah check with their website

But telephone calls maybe hard to get answered.
Anyway, no, you don't have to take your son to the consulate. you just have to mail the required staff to them or you can go there in person to get faster, safer service with more cost.

just in case you need this => http://www.china-embassy.org/visapassport/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator: