Travel before and after stamping

hope999

Registered Users (C)
My case got approved on Aug 11 and I will do stamping next week. I also plan to travel out of US next month.

Could someone tell me what I need to prepare for the stamping and how that impacts my travel? I know I will hand in my AP, EAD etc, can I just using the stamped passport to come back US or I have to wait for the physical card?

Thanks.

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

My understanding having I-551 stamp on passport is evidence of Permanent Residence of United States of America. and you can travel using valid PP + valid stamp expire date without any issue. (avoid to show any AP/EAD to reenter). ( as smart person keep copy of ur EVL+Tax returns+Bank info and copy of all img doc with u to support as needed or any trouble u face while u are not present here to prove)

Read more
Responsibilities and restrictions of GC Holder

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/permres.htm

Good LUck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi princejungle,
I am wondering if you only need the permanent resident card and also form I-551.Are they two different documents.so if you want to travel do u have to have both or just one.Please share with us.
Thanx

The following paragraph is from officeal USCIS web site

"a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission."

Some more explaination from official site

"What is a Permanent Resident Card?

A Permanent Resident Card, commonly known as a Green Card, is evidence of your status as a lawful permanent resident with a right to live and work permanently in the United States. It also is evidence of your registration in accordance with United States immigration laws. The Permanent Resident Card is also called Form I-551"

The Permanent Resident Card is also called Form I-551

"You should renew your permanent resident card if you are a permanent resident who was issued a Form I-551 valid for ten years, and that card is either expired or will expire within the next six months."

More:
http://cobrands.business.findlaw.co...ntie/208F4BEB-6A04-43A3-9E2024C989B93555.html

"QUESTION:

I entered the U.S. as a permanent resident two months ago, but have still not received my green card. I'd like to take a trip back to Pakistan to see my family -- what can I do to make sure I'm allowed back in?

ANSWER:

I'm hearing a lot from people waiting months and months for their green cards -- I guess putting some plastic over a photo is harder than it sounds! In any case, your lack of an actual green card shouldn't stop you from traveling. When you entered the U.S. as a permanent resident, you should have been given a stamp in your passport to show your new status. (Double-check your passport to make sure, but they're unlikely to have forgotten -- go to your nearest INS office with your passport and paperwork if you can't find the stamp.) That stamp has an expiration date on it, usually within six months. As long as the expiration date hasn't passed, and won't pass while you're away, you are free to travel.

Here are a double of other useful precautions to take: Check the expiration date on your passport itself. If your passport will expire while you're away, get a new one -- but carry both the old and new one with you, since the old one has your permanent residence stamp. Also, leave a copy of your passport and permanent residence stamp with someone who will be in the U.S. while you're away, in case your passport gets stolen or lost. (If it is, you'll need to go to the nearest U.S. consulate. Having a fax of your permanent residence stamp will help enormously).

One last thing to remember: You shouldn't stay outside the U.S. for more than six months, or do anything else to indicate that you really intend to live outside the United States. People can lose their permanent residence by "abandoning" it.

Does it help?

Good LUck

Hi I just got my PP stamped at west palm beach as I asked this question to the immigration officer
per her u r PERMANANT RESIDENT ALIAN and can leav and enter the USA and go where ever u want to so long the other country allows u to enter there country and this stamp is as gud as green card
so anwer to ur question is that one can leave and come back to USA as long u have stamped ur passport :)