travel as asylee with blue cover passport

54belgo

Registered Users (C)
Question: a person from Africa got asylum in the U.S.and he is waiting for his green card. He has to travel to pick up his son in a neighboring country in Africa. (he is not returning to HIS country of origin) He has a refugee passport (the one from the United nations, with the blue cover). Will he be able to re-enter without hassle? he will be returning with his son who has a visa available at the embassy in that neighboring country. Does he need any kind of other permission? It might just be that this blue passport is called some I-XXX and I don't know about it. is it the I 131 people are talking about? thanks for input.

54belgo,

It seems the first time for me to hear that the refugee travle document issued by the United Nations.If you got asylum status from the U.S.INS,it should be issued by "United States Department of Justice", which is got through the so-called I131 petition.It is also with blue cover.For my experience,there is no problem to reenter the US border.I think the first thing is to clarify what kind of document you have.By the way,would you tell me how long it takes for your son to get the US visa after the approval of your petition?

Thank you for the info, Colomb. I have to correct the thing about the passport: it is issued by the U.S. Immigration Services, and I think that inside it is said that it is issued in accordance with some Geneva convention on refugees or something like that. So this is the I-131 right?
As far as timing is concerned, my friend applied with the petition in June 2001 (you have a limit of 2 years after you are granted asylum to get your immediate family "in"-kids I mean, not your parents). He got notification of a receipt from the INS in Agust 2001. In January 2002, the petition was granted. And in June 2002, there was notification that the visa center had received the file and was transmitting it to the Embassy in Africa. After that, he contacted the embassy in Africa to make sure that everything was there and now he is gathering funds to prepare for the trip and organizing the trip at the other end. It went pretty fast. But this was for Africa, I don't know if things are different for other countries. And of course, I am not a lawyer....

54belgo,

So I think there should be no problem for your friend to travel abroad and return.This is definately the Refugee Travel Document issued by petition of I131.I have the experience in traveling to Canada and my friend succeeded in traveling to Europe.But before leaving,your friend should check the RTD's validy as there are different regulations for each country regarding validity upon visiting.

Regarding the timing procedure of family reunification,I hereby thank you so much for your valuable information.As there are some delayed cases occurred,which means there is no news yet even if after the approval for one year,so I'm very concerned about it.

Thank you.

Don't be afraid

Guys, don't be afraid about travelling with RTD, I have travelled with it and know a lot of people who have travelled around the wold without a single problem, The case exposed in this forum in Canada is an isolated problem, not the general rule, and probably it can happen with any other passport.

To travel and come back is a RIGHT that we have, the attitude that you must have when facing an INS officer, or any other through the world should be the same as that of a GC holder, we have the same RIGHTS(Except travelling to the home country).

Don't be afraid, when the IO through the world see you guys scared, they take advantage of the situation. We are NOT doing something illegal.

I'm quite sure that the case of RAsylee's brother in the border with a firm attitude, can be succesfully solved.

Travel with confidence, is your RIGHT.

Re: Don't be afraid

Originally posted by cookiemonster
Guys, don't be afraid about travelling with RTD, I have travelled with it and know a lot of people who have travelled around the wold without a single problem, The case exposed in this forum in Canada is an isolated problem, not the general rule, and probably it can happen with any other passport.

To travel and come back is a RIGHT that we have, the attitude that you must have when facing an INS officer, or any other through the world should be the same as that of a GC holder, we have the same RIGHTS(Except travelling to the home country).

Don't be afraid, when the IO through the world see you guys scared, they take advantage of the situation. We are NOT doing something illegal.

I'm quite sure that the case of RAsylee's brother in the border with a firm attitude, can be succesfully solved.

Travel with confidence, is your RIGHT.

RIGHT!!!EXACTLY!

GC through asylum ... Must I use RTD or may I use my NP (still valid) to return to US

I received my GC (AS6 for me and AS7 for my wife).
My old NP is still valid (issued before assylum granted). Do I still have to use a RTD to travel and return to the US or may I just use my NP.
Will there be a problem at port of entering with this?
Thanks

Note: I am not traveling to my COP. :) :)