Travel after receipt notice -H1 or Adv Parole?

delmar

Registered Users (C)
I receieved my green card approval notice today via email(AOS approval -notice sent welcoming the new permanent resident). I am planning international business travel on Monday 9/30. I do not have time to make an infopass appointment to get my passport stamped prior to departure. I have both a valid H1B and approved advance parole documents. I have never used the advance parole -always the H1B. I travel internationally very frequently and have never had any issues. My question now is - what is the proper way to travel now ? I believe that all visas are cancelled when a GC is issued. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

The H-1B is dead. But you can use Advance Parole to re-enter the country if your GC was approved recently but you don't have the card yet. I know people have used AP one month after getting the GC approval emails; I am not sure how much longer you can stretch it.

However, be prepared for some lengthy processing when you re-enter at the airport. They will take you into the secondary inspection room to analyze your documents and do the formalities that need to be done for somebody entering as a permanent resident for the first time (temporary I-551 stamping, etc.).

The H-1B is dead. But you can use Advance Parole to re-enter the country if your GC was approved recently but you don't have the card yet. I know people have used AP one month after getting the GC approval emails; I am not sure how much longer you can stretch it.

However, be prepared for some lengthy processing when you re-enter at the airport. They will take you into the secondary inspection room to analyze your documents and do the formalities that need to be done for somebody entering as a permanent resident for the first time (temporary I-551 stamping, etc.).

Any thoughts on what documents to bring - ie print out of approval email, I-140 approval notice, I-485 reciept notice, etc..?

Any thoughts on what documents to bring - ie print out of approval email, I-140 approval notice, I-485 reciept notice, etc..?
Bring the I-485 receipt, but don't bring or say anything about the GC approval email. Until you get the card or paper approval notice, you don't really know if your GC approval has gone through all the final steps and been circulated through all of their systems. At the port of entry, don't claim that you have an approved GC without having a card or official papers to back it up.

Just show your passport and AP, and don't show or say anything else unless asked. If they see in the computer that your GC has been approved, they'll have you complete the additional processing. If not, they'll stamp your AP and let you move on, then you'll go home and either see the GC in the mail or continue waiting for it.

And don't worry about it. Many people got their GC approved this summer while outside the US on vacation, and came back without a problem. It might even be possible to come back using the H-1B, but I don't know of anybody who actually tried that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stamping

Without appoinment and You can walk in to Local office for stamping.My friends got it.