Travel after interview

kevinc

Hi all:

I finished my citizenship interview at end of May, 2005, but the FBI name check is still pending, so I have to wait for the oath letter. I wonder if I can travel abroad for a while now, do I need come back every six months ? do I need stay for more than 6 months per year?

Thanks a lot!

-Kevin

travel with expired green card

I am waiting my oath schedule as well. But my green card is expiring. On INS web site, it mentioned "If you have applied for naturalization more than six months prior to your card’s expiration you do not need to apply to renew your Green Card.". Is that mean I can travel with an expired green card? or I also need to get approval.

jasmine_ma said:
On INS web site, it mentioned "If you have applied for naturalization more than six months prior to your card’s expiration you do not need to apply to renew your Green Card.". Is that mean I can travel with an expired green card? or I also need to get approval.

Where does it say this?
Do you have a link?

jasmine_ma said:
I am waiting my oath schedule as well. But my green card is expiring. On INS web site, it mentioned "If you have applied for naturalization more than six months prior to your card’s expiration you do not need to apply to renew your Green Card.". Is that mean I can travel with an expired green card? or I also need to get approval.

You can perhaps go get your passport stamped at the least...

You need an unexpired green card to travel. If you travel with an expired green card, USCIS inspector may give a hrad time at the POE. If you have to travel, then file I-90 and they will affix a sticker on the back of your expired green card to give you 1 more year's validity. That green card is fine for travelling. But filing I-90 will cost you about $200.

At the oath ceremony, you will return both expired and unexpired green cards.