TRAVEL after I-485 approval !

eb1doc

Registered Users (C)
Hi Query for my labmate!
He has his I-140 approved now (EB1-OR)
and planning to go to Britain for meeting next month.
He is scared ....as his I-485 is near approval and what if get approved ???
He has valid H1B stamped till May 2006.
Can he travel with that risk.
what if his I-485 gets approved 2-3 days before time and/or during his trip(7 days)!
Does H1B become invalid on I-485 approval?
Honkman & others can you please throw some light!!!

eb1doc said:
Hi Query for my labmate!
He has his I-140 approved now (EB1-OR)
and planning to go to Britain for meeting next month.
He is scared ....as his I-485 is near approval and what if get approved ???
He has valid H1B stamped till May 2006.
Can he travel with that risk.
what if his I-485 gets approved 2-3 days before time and/or during his trip(7 days)!
Does H1B become invalid on I-485 approval?
Honkman & others can you please throw some light!!!

This is fromanother webpage. I hope it helps your labmate:

"Given the unpredictability of processing times, it is possible for the I-485 to be approved while one is traveling abroad. Therefore, although H-1/H-4 and L-1/L-2 holders can travel without advance parole, it is best not to do so. This is particularly true for individuals who do not have valid visas in their passports. If the I-485 is approved while an individual is abroad, s/he is no longer eligible for nonimmigrant (temporary) status. The best situation is for the individual to have advance parole, which makes travel possible, and to explain the fact of approval at the Port of Entry. The worst situation is if an individual does not have advance parole and plans to obtain an H or L visa at the consulate for reentry. If the I-485 is approved while this person is abroad, s/he is not eligible for the H or L visa at the consulate. Without other documentation permitting travel, one would not be allowed to board the plane without a travel document or valid visa stamp in the passport."

By reading this I would say, the best thing (lowest risk) would be to skip the meeting and wait for the approval.