Travel abroad while N-400 pending and when to hand-in Green Card?

sheppard1977

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have searched this forum for an answer and could not find it easily. I am therefore maybe posting the following questions again. Thanks for bearing with me, but I have to know the following.

I am a green card holder and filed for my N-400 in Anchorage, Alaska (Nebraska Service Center). It is 9/12/2008 and I just came back from my fingerprint appointment. The next step is the interview I believe. Here are my questions:

1. I will be celebrating Thanksgiving in Mexico this year (end of November 2008) and therefore I will be out of the country for a while. It might be so that I will have my interview around that date (what do you think?), but more importantly: when do I need to hand-in my Green Card? Because I cannot travel abroad without my Green Card!

2. How easy is it to reschedule my interview if it appears to be planned on or around the date I am traveling? Will this interfere with my chances of successfully become a US citizen?

Thanks!

1. I will be celebrating Thanksgiving in Mexico this year (end of November 2008) and therefore I will be out of the country for a while. It might be so that I will have my interview around that date (what do you think?), but more importantly: when do I need to hand-in my Green Card? Because I cannot travel abroad without my Green Card!
You only surrender your GC at the oath, so don't worry about traveling unless it interferes with your continual residency requirement.
2. How easy is it to reschedule my interview if it appears to be planned on or around the date I am traveling? Will this interfere with my chances of successfully become a US citizen?

Thanks!
You can reschedule your interview if you happen to be out of the country and it has no effect on your chances of becoming a US citizen(unless of course the travels interferes with your continuous residency requirement).

I am in a similar situation as sheppard1977. I will be outside the country around the time I expect to get my IL/ Interview.
Now, I am arranging for someone to check my mail during the time I am out so that I know if my interview is scheduled while I am away. My question is how do I reschedule the interview? Can I do it over some website or do I have to call in or can I send a letter in mail?

You'll have to send oath letter back with a letter requesting oath to be rescheduled and for what reason.