Travel abroad during N 400 filing

at123

Registered Users (C)
Can a person travel out of country after filing for N 400?. will it impact the filing process in any way.

assuming that the person is able to come back in US during the FP and for interview etc.

request feedback. Thxs

AT

No problem - travel does not affect N400. As long as you don't MOVE abroad. You might need to update your foreign travel list on the N400 form at the interview tough.

Use common sense - if you're short on days of physical presence I would better postpone travel dates. If you have a very stable situation (clear ties to the US and residence in district) I guess you could be even abroad the whole N400 process.

USCIS has lost multiple cases in the past in court on what constitutes residency. But you don't want to push it and go trough the court system.

abroad travel is no problem at all, as long as you can receive the FP and interview letters and make the appointments. As Dago said, it should be business or casual travel, not starting work or residence abroad.
At the interview, ask the IO to update the list of travel dates (you can bring an updated printout of that one N-400 page)

oh, I almost forgot ...

there are companies out there who can receive the mail for you. They even convert the paper mail into e-mail. They open the mail, scan the content, send you an e-mail and - if you wish - forward the physical mail to you. It's about $10/mo to $30/mo, depending on the level of service you want.

And no - I don't own such a company and neither do I have shares in any of these companies :cool: