Travel Abroad After Filing Citizenship Application

Narasimha Rao

Is there any problem with leaving the country for an extended period (4-5 months) after filing for citizenship? My green card expires as well in 8 months, but I believe I don\'t have to renew my green card if I apply for citizenship earlier than 6 months prior to expiration.

Is it safe to travel under these circumstances?

No Problem

You can travel safely as long as your green card did not expire. Even if it did, I suggest you go and renew it immediately. It does not matter if you applied for US citizenship or not, what matters is the validity of your status. So keep it valid.

What about 6 month residency???
A total of 6 months outside the US within 5 years is allowed.
Say you have 180 days to the date you apply for citizenship. Then after you apply you apply for Cisizenship, can you travel more?
:confused:

Narasimha Rao said:
Is there any problem with leaving the country for an extended period (4-5 months) after filing for citizenship? My green card expires as well in 8 months, but I believe I don\'t have to renew my green card if I apply for citizenship earlier than 6 months prior to expiration.

Is it safe to travel under these circumstances?
Couple of things to keep in mind regarding travel:
(1) You need to be in US for fingerprinting whenever you get notice.
(2) You will have to fullfill the requirements, 30 months physical presence and no trips abroad more than 6 mos,, not only at time of filing n-400 but ALL THE WAY up to Oath (Atleast in the interview they would check this...)
(3) Someone need to be in US and checking mails for you to let your know about your FP, interview notice etc.. because if you miss anything on first attempt than that would delay your case.