transition to EAD

Ryanlin

Registered Users (C)
Currently, I am holding H1-B visa (my wife is H-4 status) and my company just filed H1-B renewal application for me. My self-sponsored I-140 (in EB1-EA) has been approved and our I-485's are pending. My wife just got a job offer and plans to use her EAD to work soon. So, here are my questions:

(1) I am under the impression that the moment she starts to use EAD to work, my H1-B and her H-4 statuses are no longer valid. Is this true?

(2) Is it safe to abandon my H-1B (and her H-4) after the approval of I-140? Are there cases where people failed to get green card even I-140 is approved?

(3) Do I need to notify my company that my H1-B is no longer valid (Is this true?)? Do I need to let them make a copy of my EAD now?

(4) What happens to my company-sponsored green card application, which is still in the Labor Certificate stage? Can it still go on as a backup option?

(5) Do I have to use Advance Parole to travel overseas from now on?

Thank you all so much,
-Brian

Originally posted by Ryanlin

I have exactly the same situation as yours. The followings are my own knowledge I received from different sources:

(1) I am under the impression that the moment she starts to use EAD to work, my H1-B and her H-4 statuses are no longer valid. Is this true?

Using spouse's EAD will not invalidate your H1B status. However if you use your EAD, it will invalidate the non-immgration status of both you and your spouse.

(2) Is it safe to abandon my H-1B (and her H-4) after the approval of I-140? Are there cases where people failed to get green card even I-140 is approved?
It is also my question. Recently I attened a workshop on "Green Cards issues" where I asked the same question to the attorneys (group of three). They answered that they don't have such evidence of denial of 485 for EB-EA approved cases if FBI investigation is clean.

(3) Do I need to notify my company that my H1-B is no longer valid (Is this true?)? Do I need to let them make a copy of my EAD now?
Yes
(4) What happens to my company-sponsored green card application, which is still in the Labor Certificate stage? Can it still go on as a backup option?
Not sure

(5) Do I have to use Advance Parole to travel overseas from now on?
No. You can maintain your H1B. However using either EAD or AP. will invalidate your H1B.

Using your AP does not invalidate your H1B status but using the EAD does. I had a similar issue last year when my wife started to use her EAD and I was intending to continue use H1B for work and travel. However, when we came back from overseas the immigration officer indicated that since my wife was a dependent she could not travel on AP and me on my valid visa - hence we were both asked to use our AP. I posted on this site and also checked with the lawyer and the answer was the same. Using AP only does not invalidate the H1B status.

thanks

thanks a lot, $$01011964 and Sydney!! The info you provided is very helpful in making my decisions.

-Brian