Transit visas and travel relate discussions

bikebaba said:
My Friend and his wife both have valid H-1/H-4 visas. So you mean to say that even Air france does not need transit Visas? Thanks a lot for the information.

-Shiv
The key thing that the visa be stamped in the passport. In most cases people have valid approval to stay in the US. Some cases, they might not have the visa *stamp* in the passport.

What about Amsterdam transit visa requirement

Do we require transit visa for Amsterdam (H1/H4 expired but Have approval notice)?

What is their email address where I can confirm this?

While returning back (After GC approval) do we require another transit visa?

CP-QUERY said:
Do we require transit visa for Amsterdam (H1/H4 expired but Have approval notice)?

What is their email address where I can confirm this?

While returning back (After GC approval) do we require another transit visa?
If you call the consulate, they will almost say yes. Those are their rules. But in reality it is not implemented.

Whereas, UK, France it is implemented.

Thanks! Alren

I just got to the Netherland Consulate of Chicago site.
There is an "Visa Inquiry" link ( http://www.cgchicago.org/visainquiry.asp ) were I entered my visa status as "other, not listed" and the response I received was :
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Visa Inquiry Result
March 11, 2003
Inquiry date: June 2, 2004
Citizen of: India
Status in US: unlisted status
Resident of: Missouri (East)
Travel document: passport issued by authorities of India
Duration of stay: less than 12 hours
Purpose of stay: airport transit
First country: Netherlands
Second country: Other
Main destination: other

Based on the above mentioned information the following has been concluded:

an airport transit visa is not required.
Please note that each traveller needs to hold a valid passport and a return/onward airline ticket. In addition to that, visitors to the Netherlands need to present proof of sufficient funds and medical insurance upon arrival. Travellers should not present a danger to public order or national security.

For more information:
Contact the assigned diplomatic or consular mission

I got the same thing. Also, I got the same reply from the consulate.

Thanks,
Dilbert

CP-QUERY said:
I just got to the Netherland Consulate of Chicago site.
There is an "Visa Inquiry" link ( http://www.cgchicago.org/visainquiry.asp ) were I entered my visa status as "other, not listed" and the response I received was :

Visa Inquiry Result
March 11, 2003
Inquiry date: June 2, 2004
Citizen of: India
Status in US: unlisted status
Resident of: Missouri (East)
Travel document: passport issued by authorities of India
Duration of stay: less than 12 hours
Purpose of stay: airport transit
First country: Netherlands
Second country: Other
Main destination: other

Based on the above mentioned information the following has been concluded:

an airport transit visa is not required.
Please note that each traveller needs to hold a valid passport and a return/onward airline ticket. In addition to that, visitors to the Netherlands need to present proof of sufficient funds and medical insurance upon arrival. Travellers should not present a danger to public order or national security.

For more information:
Contact the assigned diplomatic or consular mission

transit visa thru UK ?

I have a H-1 visa stamped in my passport which is valid till july 2006.
I will be going to India in very new future for counselor processing.
I am assuming that at this point my H-1 visa will be cancelled and a immigrant visa issued.

Do I still need a transit visa for UK while coming back.
(I think I am okay while going to India)

Do the UK authorities want a green card in hand ?
OR whatever the US embassy does for CP in the passport is good enough.

Thanks

enigma261 said:
I have a H-1 visa stamped in my passport which is valid till july 2006.
I will be going to India in very new future for counselor processing.
I am assuming that at this point my H-1 visa will be cancelled and a immigrant visa issued.

Do I still need a transit visa for UK while coming back.
(I think I am okay while going to India)

Do the UK authorities want a green card in hand ?
OR whatever the US embassy does for CP in the passport is good enough.

Thanks
There are confilicting views about this on this forum.

Some people think it is not and some otherwise. Better sheck with the UK consulate.

Paris requires Transist Visas?

What about requirement of transit visa at paris, If the H1 is expired and we have approval notice and travelling to India?

Also after getting GC approval at Mumbai?

It is my understanding that France considers your CP approval as a visa to enter US and hence transit visa is not reqd. on return.

France only needs valid approval to enter US.

France too requires transit visa :(

I did go to the France Embassy website of Chicago
http://www.consulfrance-chicago.org/main_visas_eng.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exception #2

You do NOT need an airport transit visa if, in addition to a valid passport of Burkina Faso, Cameroon, India, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Senegal or Syria, you also have a valid U.S. visa glued in your passport which will guarantee your re-admission in the U.S. upon return from your trip (note that it only applies to actual US Visas, not to the I-20, I-94 or advanced parole or any other attachment).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think if H1 is expired we need one transit visa to visit India
and 1 transit visa (not required if same transit visa is applicable?) return from India, as per them seperate attachment is not considered as actual visa.

I believe France, considers your CP approval as a guarantee for re-admission in US. So while coming back it might not be reqd.

UK transit visa

I talked to someone at UK consulate in chicago.
She said that I should not be needing a transit visa while coming back
after counselor processing. BUT, she did not sound very confident.

I have also faxed them the query and will carry the reply with me
while travelling.

enigma261 said:
I talked to someone at UK consulate in chicago.
She said that I should not be needing a transit visa while coming back
after counselor processing. BUT, she did not sound very confident.

I have also faxed them the query and will carry the reply with me
while travelling.
Good one more for this theory .. ;)

Good luck to you.

travel agents

Hi guys,

If we can compile a list of travel agents in this thread (name, websites etc), that will be great. We can then have a comprehensive list for people to refer to. I am not sure about whether we can list the travel agents' phone #s due to privacy reasons. I am sure it will help a lot of folks who need to buy tickets.

Maybe some excel spreadsheet that can be downloaded by someone, add his/ her list of travel agents and upload again??

Once it has some entries, we can even add a copy to the stuff alren has already created.

Looking forward to your inputs,
Dilbert.

Dilbert,
Your idea is not bad do we really need to list them and put them in this valuable thread as far as I think the agent name and location is always fixed but the prices changes from person to person (travel agents in the same travel agency) and season to season. I bet you can never get the same price.

I am sure price varies from person to person. But atleast there will be a few different agents to try and shop around. Just my 2 cents.

Dilbert
vm1214 said:
Dilbert,
Your idea is not bad do we really need to list them and put them in this valuable thread as far as I think the agent name and location is always fixed but the prices changes from person to person (travel agents in the same travel agency) and season to season. I bet you can never get the same price.

On the transit visa to come back:
You don't need it after getting the Immigrant visa in a separate envelope. transit Visa only required if the current visa stamped in the passport is expired and you have the approval notice.

For the travel agents:
The best bet is close to your departure place. The travel agents for the remote areas generally don't give the best deals. So try desi travel agents in your area. They give good prices if you short 2 or 3 and haggle the prices.

Use this website to find the desi stuff close to your city. Try calling everyone and find the best deal.

http://www.eknazar.com/

Good luck folks!
Keep posting your experiences and keep updating the CP Tracker.

:)

using the transit visa

Hi guys,

Recently my friend went to India and came back. He is a green card holder but he told me his observation - He changed planes at frankfurt to go to india from the US. He said that while going to India, at frankfurt airport, there was no checking of visa status or checking to see if ppl had transit visas. However, while coming back, his visa status in the US etc were checked. My qn is: when and how do they check the transit visa on the PP? Anyone with any experience using the transit visa.

Thanks,
Dilbert

It mostly depends on the airline you are flying. For e.g. if you are flying Delta via. Paris, and you do not have a valid US visa or a Schengen Transit Visa, they will not allow you to check-in.

Again in India, it is the airline which will do the checking and see if you are allowed to travel to country where the flight is going and allow/deny check-in. Of course, the wise-a** of the immi. official will look at all of your items.