Transit visas and travel relate discussions

dilbert30

Registered Users (C)
all,

At the outset, I want to state that this is a thread i would like to keep going on the sidelines and not interfere with the focus of the threads in this group. i am starting this for folks to plan / exhange details regarding the process of obtaining transit visas while traveling to India for CP interviews.

seniors, If there would be a better place to post this thread, please let me know.

Here is my situation.

My H1-B expires at the end of this month and I have an approval for extension for the next three years.

1) I am deciding if I have to travel thro germany, paris, England or amsterdam (Netherlands). There are a few months still for me but i want to get things rolling.

I believe England Germany and Paris require visa for a person in my situation. Not sure of Amsterdam,

Anyone in the same position?

Has anyone tried to obtain transit visas from any of these consulates? Specifically, has anyone sent their original PP and visa approval?

Thanks,
Dilbert

Last edited by a moderator:
Transit Visas

Dilbert,

If you are planning to fly to Chennai, try Kuwait Airways. Kuwait doesn't require a transit visa and has direct flights from NY. Hope this information helps.

Thanks,
DA

dilbert30 said:
all,

At the outset, I want to state that this is a thread i would like to keep going on the sidelines and not interfere with the focus of the threads in this group. i am starting this for folks to plan / exhange details regarding the process of obtaining transit visas while traveling to India for CP interviews.

seniors, If there would be a better place to post this thread, please let me know.

Here is my situation.

My H1-B expires at the end of this month and I have an approval for extension for the next three years.

1) I am deciding if I have to travel thro germany, paris, England or amsterdam (Netherlands). There are a few months still for me but i want to get things rolling.

I believe England Germany and Paris require visa for a person in my situation. Not sure of Amsterdam,

Anyone in the same position?

Has anyone tried to obtain transit visas from any of these consulates? Specifically, has anyone sent their original PP and visa approval?

Thanks,
Dilbert

I will be flying into mumbai. Thanks for the information.

Dilbert

jalabalajings said:
Dilbert,

If you are planning to fly to Chennai, try Kuwait Airways. Kuwait doesn't require a transit visa and has direct flights from NY. Hope this information helps.

Thanks,
DA

Transit Visa

Hi Dilbert,

I’m not sure whether Austrian flies to Mumbai but it does go to Delhi and I’ve my family booked on Austrian. My wife’s H4 Visa has expired and I’d written to the Austrian Embassy who clearly stated that – “As long as you are not going to leave the International Transit Area you will not need a visa”. So if Austrian Airlines fits into your travel plans then transit visa via Vienna should not be a concern!

Rjain.

Rjain2 said:
Hi Dilbert,

I’m not sure whether Austrian flies to Mumbai but it does go to Delhi and I’ve my family booked on Austrian. My wife’s H4 Visa has expired and I’d written to the Austrian Embassy who clearly stated that – “As long as you are not going to leave the International Transit Area you will not need a visa”. So if Austrian Airlines fits into your travel plans then transit visa via Vienna should not be a concern!

Rjain.
Austrain does not fly to BOM.

Hi,
I thought I might get some relevant info regarding my situation here. I have an H1-B visa, which is valid until Nov 2005, but the H1 visa stamped on my passport has expired on Dec 2003.
I have to travel to India via UK at a short notice, and I have learnt that Indians now require an airside transit visa if they are traveling via UK. I checked the website of the British consulate in US, and it states that people who hold a valid US visa are exempt from the transit visa requirement.
Now, in my case I have a valid US visa, which I am going to get stamped on my passport during this trip to India. I am wondering if I can somehow manage to travel without the transit visa. As it is I don't have enough time to get the visa.
Any suggestions from folks who have been through similar situations would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,

I am pretty much sure that you need a air side transit visa unless you prefer airlines doesn't travel through UK (some of the other EUROPIAN countries requires as well). I am not sure how the process works, you will be asked for transit visa while issuing a boarding pass in your case. Again, this is based on my friend's experience.

spkumar123

MA_Labor said:
Hi,
I thought I might get some relevant info regarding my situation here. I have an H1-B visa, which is valid until Nov 2005, but the H1 visa stamped on my passport has expired on Dec 2003.
I have to travel to India via UK at a short notice, and I have learnt that Indians now require an airside transit visa if they are traveling via UK. I checked the website of the British consulate in US, and it states that people who hold a valid US visa are exempt from the transit visa requirement.
Now, in my case I have a valid US visa, which I am going to get stamped on my passport during this trip to India. I am wondering if I can somehow manage to travel without the transit visa. As it is I don't have enough time to get the visa.

{Based on what you said, you do not have a valid US Visa. What you
have is an H1 Approval Notice. When they say visa in these cases they
are explicitly referring to the VISA stamp in the passport. So, you will
need a transit visa while going back to India. Once you get the stamp
in India you would not need a transit visa for your return trip}
Any suggestions from folks who have been through similar situations would be appreciated.
Thanks!

{my response}

Raju

MA_Labor said:
Hi,
Thanks!
If you are travelling via UK, you will need the UK transit visa in your case.

Transit Visa for flying to chicago?

Hi Everyone,

I would be traveling to Chicago by Flight AI127 operated by Air India through Frankfurt (Germany). It's a direct flight. Would i require a transit visa? I have been issued an Immigrant Visa by the Mumbai consulate for traveling to the US, and I am a Family based immigrant. thanx in advance :)

way2usa said:
Hi Everyone,

I would be traveling to Chicago by Flight AI127 operated by Air India through Frankfurt (Germany). It's a direct flight. Would i require a transit visa? I have been issued an Immigrant Visa by the Mumbai consulate for traveling to the US, and I am a Family based immigrant. thanx in advance :)

You have your Immigrant visa with you. You would not need a transit
visa for your journey through Germany.

Raju

UK transit visa

Hey everyone,
I am travelling via Air India direct flight from Chicago to Mumbai with a stopover in London. I just got my transit visa. Its required for all H-1B holders - you will need it on your return journey coz' they cancel your H-1B visa without prejudice after approving your case and UK does not accept green card "papers" only.
You can apply and pay for the visa online
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/other_show.asp?SarticleType=25&Other_ID=313
Print out your application and the receipt. The website gives a list of required documents. You can send them by mail or apply in person at one of the consulates. I did it in person, coz I did not want to run the risk of stuff getting lost or delayed in the mail at this crucial juncture. The website says only one photo - BUT they ask for 2 photos. If you go to the consulate, they will give visa same evening. I think only NY consulate requires appointment.

amdomd,

I have sent my documents with one photo by Fedex, I don't know how it will work..!!
I took an appointment also in worse case I have to personally go there.
My travel date is on 8th June and I sent the papers to them on May 22nd.

They are still processing..!!!

Marais

I think you should call the consulate and find out about the status. Normally they send it back in a few days. Maybe yours is delayed coz of Memorial day long weekend. Still you should call since you sent your documents and passport and you are travelling soon on the 8th.
Sending only one photo should not be a problem coz there were a lot of people that day who brought only one photo as per the website and they got their visas.
Best of luck.

amdomd

Do you think that I'll require a transit visa for Germany? I have an Immigrant visa and traveling by Air India through Frankfurt? thanks :)

amdomd,

Thank you for your response..!!
I did call them, it is very hard to get them on phone. They are still processing and what they said is if I dont get in two days and told me to call them again..!!

It's pain..!! Their website says 10 working days are required for them to process..!!

Transit Visa - Italy.

Hi,

My friend had a death in her family and wants to go to india today. we are considering either thru Air france or Delta thru Italy. Does he need to take a transit visa for any of these countries.

thanks for all the information.

-Shiv

Last edited by a moderator:
bikebaba said:
Hi,

My friend had a death in her family and wants to go to india today. we are considering either thru Air france or Delta thru Italy. Does he need to take a transit visa for any of these countries.

thanks for all the information.

-Shiv
Shiv,

If you do not have a US valid visa on the Passport, you will need a transit visa for AF/Delta thru France. Delta/Alitalia through Italy will not require you one.

Transit Visa

My Friend and his wife both have valid H-1/H-4 visas. So you mean to say that even Air france does not need transit Visas? Thanks a lot for the information.

-Shiv