Transit Visa Questions.

OmGV

Registered Users (C)
My wife and kid would be travelling to India. Ticket is not confirmed yet, she would be travelling within the next 10 days, due to emergent reasons.

Is transit visa required to travel via London or Frankfurt with AP?
If so, would it possible to get that visa quickly via fax?
She has valid visa stamp, through Feb 29, 2004. So, worst case, she would need tansit visa only while coming back? [She would be coming in first week of March using AP]
Any input appreciated. TIA.

Originally posted by OmGV
My wife and kid would be travelling to India. Ticket is not confirmed yet, she would be travelling within the next 10 days, due to emergent reasons.

Is transit visa required to travel via London or Frankfurt with AP?
If so, would it possible to get that visa quickly via fax?
She has valid visa stamp, through Feb 29, 2004. So, worst case, she would need tansit visa only while coming back? [She would be coming in first week of March using AP]
Any input appreciated. TIA.

TDAT visa is required for AP users if transiting through London ( I think frankfurt has similar stipulation). Either you can mail your passport using Fedex this approach takes around 15 days. If you are near NYC, you can go to the British Embassy and get the transit visa the same day. Even if a visa is faxed, how can that be a original visa ? Who will consider a photocopy of a visa as a valid document ?

Re: Re: Transit Visa Questions.

Originally posted by gc_majburi
TDAT visa is required for AP users if transiting through London ( I think frankfurt has similar stipulation). Either you can mail your passport using Fedex this approach takes around 15 days. If you are near NYC, you can go to the British Embassy and get the transit visa the same day. Even if a visa is faxed, how can that be a original visa ? Who will consider a photocopy of a visa as a valid document ?

I remember reading somewhere in this forum, that they got their transit visa documents faxed, maybe they sent their documents by FAX.

So, as she has valid visa through Feb 29. Maybe she can get the transit visa in Chennai for Frankfurt for coming back?

Hi OmGV,

Where are traveling from and which airlines? If you are going on AirIndia(via paris) you dont need a transit visa. Iam 100% sure about this. If you are going thru london you need visa.

Thanks

Originally posted by APBOY
Hi OmGV,

Where are traveling from and which airlines? If you are going on AirIndia(via paris) you dont need a transit visa. Iam 100% sure about this. If you are going thru london you need visa.

Thanks

Thanx for the info. My Wife and daughter travelling via frankfurt by Lufthansa. Any ideas?

As per my knowledge you dont need transit visa. The best way to check is with the airlines.

Thanks,

OmGv,
You don't need transit visa for Frankfurt if you have a confirmed onward ticket to India. In other words, if you are just having a connection and are not required to go out of the airport then you don't need a visa.

I went to India in December via Frankfurt and came back last week via the same route. I was on AP and no questions were asked about the transit visa. It is better to carry extra copies of the AP because sometimes the airlines might need one.

I travelled in Jan thru Frankfurt and the German Consulate wanted a transit visa. No use of asking an airlines regarding this. Always contact the Consulate of the country you are flying thru for info. The airline will take the responsibility to send you back to the origin. But what is the use of such a fly......

mdu123

Originally posted by mdu123
I travelled in Jan thru Frankfurt and the German Consulate wanted a transit visa. No use of asking an airlines regarding this. Always contact the Consulate of the country you are flying thru for info. The airline will take the responsibility to send you back to the origin. But what is the use of such a fly......

mdu123

The German Consulate, when called said that a transit visa is not required.
Did you fly with Lufthansa? Did you use AP?
Did they ask for the transit visa in Frankfurt and if so, when did they ask for? Thanks much.

If you live in a metro city in India I would say don't think about getting a transit visa from here, rather than stay in India a day longer and get it done from there the same day by going personally as your family has a valid visa stamped while going.

You can get it here also the same day personally, I got for my wife in Aug 2003 in Atlanta, she was travelling through Frankfurt, call the consulate instead of calling the airlines and also send them the email and if you get a response in the email, take a print out and give it to your family.

It all depends on individual officer how he/she takes this transit visa thing, In Atlanta I have seen a person was not allowed to board the flight through Frankfurt because he didn't have transit visa stamped.

Also I wrote to Prime Minister ABVajpayee to talk to leaders of other nations to get rid of this Transit visa for Indians, if possible I would say if more people write, it might help.

Yeah I did fly with my AP thru Frankfurt. I called the German Consulate in Boston, they said we need a transit if we dont have a valid visa stamped in the passport. I flew by Gulf Air. But anyway as I wrote earlier, airlines does not count. It was not because I flew by Gulf Air they asked for a visa, they din't even ask about the airlines I am flying in.

I would really suggest to get the transit, so that your wife can have the peace of mind during the fly. Just my thoughts.

mdu123