Transit visa on AP - Frankfurt, Germany

InLabor4TooLong

Registered Users (C)
I was above to book my air tickets to India when realized that I will be using AP (Advance parole) document for re-entry. Also, that I might need transit visa in Frankfurt.

1. Travel agent mentioned that I will need visa and that I should be able to obtain one either in India or here in USA.
2. I checked German embassy website and it clearly mentioned about valid visa on passport. No mention on AP document
3. I called German embassy in Atlanta and spoke to 2 of their representatives. One listened to me and collected all details. Then, she was not sure and forwarded called to Visa section. 2nd representative didn’t even listen to my question properly and mentioned that I won’t need a visa. I know they must be getting lot of calls on this one. She also mentioned that information was available on their website. I was not able to find it yet.

http://www.germany.info/relaunch/info/missions/consulates/atlanta/atlanta.html

Please let me know if you have any input on this. I am ready to buy tickets and plan to travel in early December.

Thanks in advance

It denpends on what you have asked

I am going to India soon and asked the same question as I was travelling using AP and my H1 stamp in passport expired. I actually believed a friend of mine that she got the reply from German consulate that she do not need transit visa. She did not mention about her return in her email. She just mentioned that she is going to India.

For AP you need to get the transit visa.
Here is the question that I asked and the answer I got from German consulate.

Question send to rk-visa-100@bost.auswaertiges-amt.de
I am an Indian Citizen living and working in US. I am traveling in Nov, 2006. I do have a valid H1 but I do not have the visa stamp in my passport. But, I have a valid Advance Parole, which will allow me to re-enter in US. My flight from India to Frankfurt will arrive at 7.45AM and I have the connecting flight from Frankfurt to US at 1.10 PM on the same day. I will stay in the airport for 3.5 hours. Do I need to get a transit visa? Please let me know. I appreciate your quick response.

Reply from consulate
Good morning,
After a legal stay in the US Indian nationals do not require a transit visa for Germany, when returning to their home country. However, you will need a transit visa for your return trip to the US. You can apply for the transit visa during your stay in India.
Best regards
Sarah Feinberg

I know some of my friends travelled without transit visa and they never asked. But why take the risk.. I just got mine in 4 days.

Happy trip to India :)

These rules are published on the airline site (I know that Delta and NWA have it). Delta - click on Planning & Reservation > Plan Flight > International Travel Information > Visa & Passport Information.

Here are the details for you:

/ 01NOV06 / 2221 UTC
National INDIA (IN) /Residence U.S.A. (US)
Transit GERMANY (DE) /Destination INDIA (IN)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

GERMANY (DE)

Visa not required provided:
- holding residence permit allowing unrestricted return; and
- transiting only through Frankfurt, Munich or Hamburg; and
- continuing to a third country by same or first connecting
aircraft within 24 hours (Note: Hamburg transit area open
only between 04:30 and 23:30); and
- arriving from and departing to a non-Schengen State (see:
TIRGL/SCHS ); and
- not leaving the transit lounge; and
- holding ticket with confirmed reservation; and
- all travel documents required for next destination.
Transit through any other airports will require a (transit)
visa.

Transit without visa not available if making more than one
intermediate stop in Germany.

This TWOV facility also applies for the return travel provided
it is one journey and return travel has been commenced on or
prior to the expiry date of the residence permit.

/ 01NOV06 / 2225 UTC
National INDIA (IN) /Residence U.S.A. (US)
Transit GERMANY (DE) /Destination U.S.A. (US)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

GERMANY (DE)

Visa not required provided:
- holding residence permit allowing unrestricted return; and
- transiting only through Frankfurt, Munich or Hamburg; and
- continuing to a third country by same or first connecting
aircraft within 24 hours (Note: Hamburg transit area open
only between 04:30 and 23:30); and
- arriving from and departing to a non-Schengen State (see:
TIRGL/SCHS ); and
- not leaving the transit lounge; and
- holding ticket with confirmed reservation; and
- all travel documents required for next destination.
Transit through any other airports will require a (transit)
visa.

Transit without visa not available if making more than one
intermediate stop in Germany.

This TWOV facility also applies for the return travel provided
it is one journey and return travel has been commenced on or
prior to the expiry date of the residence permit.

And remember that the airline boarding you on a flight to Germany is responsible for making sure you can transit through Germany. There is no immigration officer who checks for all this. So the reality of things is that if the airline agent who gives you the boarding pass here in the US is convinced that you meet the exceptions outlined for transit visa, you will not need it.

Amsterdam is the best place to connect!! Its pretty hassle free!

texancanadian said:
FYI: If any of you have Canadian PR the transit visa reqt is waived for all European countries.

what are the courntries you are allowed to enter (not the transit visa) for tourism if you have Canadian PR card and US green card? Thanks for the information.

Thank you for your inputs.

aakupachha,

May I know where you applied for your transit visa? I believe it was here in US before leaving to India?

Can you mail your documents or do you need to go in person? Because, German website quotes that we need to be present in person.

Thanks

aakupachha said:
I know some of my friends travelled without transit visa and they never asked. But why take the risk.. I just got mine in 4 days.

We traveled to India last december via Franfurt. During that time our H1Bvisa was expired on passport. We took transit visa from German Consulate, Chicago. We just posted the documents and we have received the passports with transit visa with in 5 business days. There is no need to go in person.

Note: Funny thing is no body has asked us to show the transit visa in Frankfurt in both ways.

As i said earlier, only the airline checks for this.
India bound is the main concern - since you may not have a re-entry permit.
Out US bound - there should be no problem, since you are coming to the US with some kind of a re-entry permit anyway!

mysticbeach said:
We traveled to India last december via Franfurt. During that time our H1Bvisa was expired on passport. We took transit visa from German Consulate, Chicago. We just posted the documents and we have received the passports with transit visa with in 5 business days. There is no need to go in person.

Note: Funny thing is no body has asked us to show the transit visa in Frankfurt in both ways.

Use Direct Non Stop Flight

Folks:

Why go through the hassle of TRANSIT VISA? Please use the DIRECT NON STOP FLIGHTS.

Starting November 1st, 2006 Delta Started Non-Stop Direct Flight from New York to Bombay.
American Airlines and Continental Airlines have Non-Stop Direct Flight from Chicago to Delhi.

Unless you want to spend time in European countries (Germany, France, UK) for shooping or visiting friends or relatives.

Thanks !

It depends on how close you live to the consulate

I live in Ariozona and I mailed my application. When I enter the ZIP in German consulate website, I was directed to LA consulate. http://www.germanconsulate.org/losangeles

You will find a number on the website (whichever is closer to you). When you call that number they will guide you if have to apply in person or if you can mail your application. The phone message will list all the copies/original/ntorized copies that you need to send to the consulate.

Good luck,

aakupachha.

Thank you all for your input.

I bought my tickets today. I will be mailing all documents for transit visa stamping to Atlanta in next couple of days.

Travel scenario : you are flying direct to your international destination - which means you do not leave Frankfurt airport and step on German soil for any reason. It does not matter if you are changing planes or airport gates, as long as you do not take a domestic German flight (originating in Frankfurt and terminating in another German city).

For the above travel scenario, Indian passport holders DO NOT need a transit visa.

I have travelled via Frankfurt several times on AP and have had no issues at all. As you exit the aircraft and proceed to the transit waiting area, the airline staff simply hands you a plastic card with the word "Transit" written on it. As you enter the transit waiting area, make sure you hold your passport and this plastic "Transit" card in your hand - German airport authorities stand at the entry gate simply to ensure that all transit passengers have these two in hand.

Sometimes they will ask to see your boarding card and passport. This is simply to compare that the names on boarding card and passport are the same. This is a post 9-11 security feature rather than an immigration check. You will see the same random checks at any major US airport also (Chicago, LAX, Newark, JFK)

Also see the post by "mysticbeach" above.

Hope this helps .........

Cheers !!

Update

German Consulate returned my transit visa application stating that I will not need one.

===============================

The Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Atlanta would like to inform you about the following regulations concerning airport trnasit visa for travelers with Indian or Turkish passports through German airports:

If traveler holds

a) a resident title of a member state of the European Union or a member state of the European Economic Area (EEA, i.e.Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or

b) a resident permit of Andorra, Japan, Canada, Monaco, San Marino, Switzerland or the USA (including Advance parole and I-551 Stamp)

an airport Transit visa is - NOT - required.

There is also no airport transit visa for Frankfurt/Main required after a legal stay in the USA, Canada or Switzerland when returning to the country whose citizenship you hold.

Sincerely,

signed by visa officer

===============================

Via Amsterdam, transit visa not required

Hi,

I'm also travelling to India in Dec via Amsterdam in NWA. I called the Netherlands consulate and they said i do not require any transit visa as long as i do not go out of airport and my next flight is international. They also said i should have a ticket (they said E-ticket is fine, no need of paper ticket).

Thanks,
Jupitar

Transit visa - amsterdam

Hi Jupiter,

I am also planning to travel to India in January in Northwest airlines via Amsterdam, and my h1 has already expired. I have the AP documents. Just wanted to know if you had to take the transit visa and what are the documents you had to carry in addition to EAD, AP and passport.

Appreciate if you could share your experiences.
Thanks in advance.

transit visa - Frankfurt

I just came back from India trip by Lufthansa airline via Frankfurt. I traveled on AP which is valid till May 2007 without any problem and never needed a transit visa. Just make sure that you carries the latest AP documents and thats enough at least in my case.

India, EB3, VSC
PD Dec 2001
140, 485 filed together in Dec 2004.
140 approved Jan 2005.
Changed job once in May of 2006.
Applying 3rd extension of EAD, AP next week and so far life is good.

We are booking a flight to India via Amsterdam where we will have to do a forced overnight stopover in Amsterdam. Will we need a visa for that purpose if we need to sleep in a hotel for the night. I have GC and my wife has Advance parole.
Harvinder

I believe you do need a Visa!

harvinder said:
We are booking a flight to India via Amsterdam where we will have to do a forced overnight stopover in Amsterdam. Will we need a visa for that purpose if we need to sleep in a hotel for the night. I have GC and my wife has Advance parole.
Harvinder

I believe both you and your wife need a short-term stay visa for Holland. A transit visa does not apply in your case as you ARE leaving the airport, going through immigration/customs to stay in a hotel outside the airport.

This rule I think applies to all european airports/countries. If you are leaving the airport, even for a few hours, you need to have a valid visa to exit the airport. A GC is not sufficient to enter any european country. A US Passport would have been a different matter.

Your best bet is to check the web-site of Dutch consulate in the US and/or give them a call to confirm. I'm pretty sure you need a visa.

Good luck!

I have few question on airport transit visa

I believe both you and your wife need a short-term stay visa for Holland. A transit visa does not apply in your case as you ARE leaving the airport, going through immigration/customs to stay in a hotel outside the airport.

This rule I think applies to all european airports/countries. If you are leaving the airport, even for a few hours, you need to have a valid visa to exit the airport. A GC is not sufficient to enter any european country. A US Passport would have been a different matter.

Your best bet is to check the web-site of Dutch consulate in the US and/or give them a call to confirm. I'm pretty sure you need a visa.

Good luck!

I am an Indian Citizen now on AP. Traveling to St Petersburg(Russia) for a vacation. Travelling via frankfurt and return via Munich. I was told by German embassy,DC that I need a visa. I have few questions on the application form. Did any one filled up or applied for the airport transit visa? Could you send me an e-mail... aa191996@yahoo.com

Thanks