transit visa issue

RM2002

Registered Users (C)
Do you need to get a transit visa from concerned country if you are traveling to India on luftansa/KLM or emirates airlines? Appreciate your input

Yes you need one..But not if you are permanent resident of US.
Please confirm it with your airline and the consulate of the concerned country.

Wrong info

You do need a visa unless you plan to stop over. But as long as you are just passing through i.e waiting for a connection you do not need any visa.

transit visa

I used air india twice and never needed one and my wife used KLM in 2001 and she didnt use it either. but lately I am seeying people posting like you need transit visa etc. we do not intend to stay there. in such situation I think we dont need transit visa. But I will confirm with the airlines/consulate before booking ticket. If there is an issue I will fly maharaj

Transit visa

You will need transit visa for some countries if you do not have a US visa stamped in your passport. Which means if you are travelling on H1 status to get stamped in your home country or if you are travelling on AP or 551 stamp you will need a transit visa. Please check the rules for the country that you will be transiting through.

May be helpful

" I travelled India via Swiss Air in april 2001 and while coming back i had 8 hrs waiting time at Zurich. I asked Immigration Officer to go out for 4-5 hrs and he just stamped in passport ( No transit visa just stamp with Location and date) and while coming back in Airport just showed H-1 visa, Boarding Pass and stamp. no questions asked."

Last edited by a moderator:
telecom guy is right

You need a transit visa if your visa has expired. If you have revalidated your visa, you have no issue. This is only for stopover, if you need to go out, you need a transit visa.

GodhelpGC or someone know about transit visa

can you write clearly what you are saying. Let us say "If I am flying KLM or Emirates and I am not getting out of airport do I need a transit visa?
Thanks

No you do not need transit visa

In case if you stay inside the airport you do need a transit visa. However if your stopover is very long / unplanned due to some unforseen delay the local officials over there will stamp your passport and let you go out. In any case you do not need a transit visa.

Sorry typo.

Please read it as
In case if you stay inside the airport you do NOT need a transit visa

You do not need transit visa ..

One week back we came from India thru Emirates.. My visa expired in passport so I returned back using Advance Parole.
while going NWK - Frankfurt - Hyderabd
return Hyderabd - London - NWK

we didn't go out of ariport. we just changed to connection flight in the above stops. None of the above places asked for transit visa. so Transit visa is not required if you are travelling thru emirates.