Transit Visa in Amsterdam

WaitinginQ

Registered Users (C)
Gurus, This may not be the right forum for this question. But here it is anyway.
A friend of mine is on his second term of H1 visa and his first term H1B visa & I-94 are expired, but he has the approval notice of the second term. Now he is going to India by NWA through Amsterdam. Does he need a transit visa in Amsterdam as he does not have a valid visa in his passport?
Anyone with similiar experience or knoweledge, please advice.

TIA

I am not sure but I believe that almost all European countries now require transit visas for citizens of certain countries.

Check this Delta Air Lines web site. This is a live link to a TIMATIC database that airlines use to determine what kind of documentation you are required to have to be able to enter/transit through a specific country.

My personal experience (been to Amsterdam two weeks ago) is that arriving from the US you are dumped into airport transit area. Nobody checks your passport/visa there. You can continue to your next flight without being bothered by anyone. Please use caution though, as I am a citizen of one of EU member states, however I connected to a non-Schengen area there.

I am pasting a result for a citizen of India holding US GC and transiting through AMS below.

National INDIA (IN) /Residence U.S.A. (US)
Transit NETHERLANDS (NL) /Destination INDIA (IN)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

NETHERLANDS (NL)

Visa not required provided:
- holding official Residence Permit guaranteeing unconditional
right to return to the issuing country; and
- continuing by same or first available aircraft to a third
country; and
- arriving and departing from/to a non-Schengen country (see
TIRGL/SCHS ); and
- holding confirmed onward reservation and all documents
required for next destination; and
- not leaving the airport transit area.

Non-compliance with transit regulations may result in
deportation of passenger and/or costs for transporting carrier.

Please check with the Consulate.
It Looks like recently any travel from India to US via Frankfurt requires a Transit Visa irrespective of Valid H1 etc.

Disclaimer: Not a lawyer . All postings are personal opinions

WaitinginQ said:
Gurus, This may not be the right forum for this question. But here it is anyway.
A friend of mine is on his second term of H1 visa and his first term H1B visa & I-94 are expired, but he has the approval notice of the second term. Now he is going to India by NWA through Amsterdam. Does he need a transit visa in Amsterdam as he does not have a valid visa in his passport?
Anyone with similiar experience or knoweledge, please advice.

TIA

If he is coming back on H1 he does not need transit visa.

http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/visainquiry.asp

Visa Inquiry Result
March 11, 2003
Inquiry date: February 18, 2005
Citizen of: India
Status in US: unlisted status
Resident of: Ohio
Travel document: US Re-entry Permit
Duration of stay: less than 24 hours
Purpose of stay: airport transit
First country: Netherlands
Second country: Other
Main destination: other

Based on the above mentioned information the following has been concluded:

an airport transit visa is not required.
Please note that each traveller needs to hold a valid passport and a return/onward airline ticket. In addition to that, visitors to the Netherlands need to present proof of sufficient funds and medical insurance upon arrival. Travellers should not present a danger to public order or national security.

am in Advance Payroll visa now as my H1 stamping is over in Dec'2004.
I will be travilling to India by KLM through amsterdom, Netherlands.
I have called the Consulate in Atlanta and they told me the Airport Transit visa not required..
My questions : Has anyone on Advance Parole visa has travelled by KLM without Airport Transit visa ???

No need of transit Visa for Amstredam when you are travelling on AP.

I travelled on AP two weeks back.
No need to have transit visa for amstredam while travelling on AP.

Thank You very much for the information.
I called the Consulate today and they also mentioned that no need for any Airport transit visa for Indian Citizens