Transit Visa for Paris,France

June04

Registered Users (C)
Do i require transit visa if i m travelling through Paris, using Air India flight ?

I am on h1 and have valid status till 2009 , but do not have stamp in the passport.

Quick help is appreciated. Need to book the ticket asap.

June04 said:
Do i require transit visa if i m travelling through Paris, using Air India flight ?

I am on h1 and have valid status till 2009 , but do not have stamp in the passport.

Quick help is appreciated. Need to book the ticket asap.
To go to your home country you will not a transit visa even if you do not have valid visa.

My guess is you don't...

If you did not have valid H1B (or had an AP) you would definitely need a transit visa for Paris (even though in most cases it is never checked or stamped). Since you have a valid H1B approval document, I would think that it should be sufficient for you to go through transit. This is my opinion only.

On the return, I assume you "will" get the appropriate H1B visa on your passport that will allow you to enter the US and definitely allow you free transit via Paris on that valid H1B stamp.

Good luck!

baby_mde,
Thanks for a quick reply. I m looking at this site.
http://www.consulfrance-washington.org/article.php3?id_article=383
Please look at the one of the question

Q : I am an Indian citizen. I will fly from Newark to Mumbay through Paris. I will stay within the airplane during the 2 hours stop. The US visa stamped in my passport is no more valid. I do not have a green card.

A : If you do not have a valid US visa stamped in your passport (look at the "expiration date") or a green card, you do need an airport transit visa even if you stay in the airplane.

baby_mde,
Thanks for a quick reply. I m looking at this site.
http://www.consulfrance-washington.org/article.php3?id_article=383
Please look at the one of the question

Q : I am an Indian citizen. I will fly from Newark to Mumbay through Paris. I will stay within the airplane during the 2 hours stop. The US visa stamped in my passport is no more valid. I do not have a green card.

A : If you do not have a valid US visa stamped in your passport (look at the "expiration date") or a green card, you do need an airport transit visa even if you stay in the airplane.

on the same page it says

(*) exception : no airport transit visa is required from the citizen of Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Colombia, Cuba, Gambia, Guinea, India, Ivory Coast, Mali, Senegal, Syria, if they have a valid US visa stamped in their passport (see the expiration date printed on the US visa), when travelling.

I think the messags is fairly clear...

on the same page it says

(*) exception : no airport transit visa is required from the citizen of Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Colombia, Cuba, Gambia, Guinea, India, Ivory Coast, Mali, Senegal, Syria, if they have a valid US visa stamped in their passport (see the expiration date printed on the US visa), when travelling.

IF you have a valid H1-B visa "STAMPED" on your passport (a mere receipt is insufficient) or if you have an American GC, then you do NOT need a transit visa.

If you have an AP, no valid H1-B visa on the passport (receipt is not sufficient) then to fly to India you do not need a transit visa (only if you are flying one-way to India). But if you are planning to retun to the US (from vacation, etc.) then you have to have a transit visa.

Ironically, they don't check or stamp it everytime you travel through Charles De Gaulle, but it's not worth the risk, esp. on coming back to the US.

Hope this helps!

According to the consulate

you require a visa even if you don't leave the plane or the boarding area in Paris if you do not have a valid US visa stamped in your passport (GC etc also, but for your situation).

We found this out when we were going India last year to get our extended H1bs stamped in Mumbai. They check for this requirement during checkin here in the US.

IF you have a valid H1-B visa "STAMPED" on your passport (a mere receipt is insufficient) or if you have an American GC, then you do NOT need a transit visa.

If you have an AP, no valid H1-B visa on the passport (receipt is not sufficient) then to fly to India you do not need a transit visa (only if you are flying one-way to India). But if you are planning to retun to the US (from vacation, etc.) then you have to have a transit visa.

Ironically, they don't check or stamp it everytime you travel through Charles De Gaulle, but it's not worth the risk, esp. on coming back to the US.

Hope this helps!

Hi , I have had same issue and had to get transist visa . It is very clear
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE GC OR DO NOT HAVE ANY US VISA STAMPED IN YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOUR PHOTO , YOU NEED TO GET TRANSIST VISA .
I was travelling through AP and went to France consulate and got TR. Visa .
Normally they do not come into plane to check visa (mine case they asked me when I was coming to US) ,if they do not find then they will let you stay for one day over there and get visa . To not take any chance I strongly advice you to get Tr. Visa . Make sure you plan ahead with France consulate . they take only by appointment and they have very small office
in NY so they are will not let you go inside ahead of time . They take you only at time of appointment . Make sure Tr. Visa covers both to and from date if you are coming on same route . If you can take then take nonstop flight from NY to BOM that will reduce lots of headache .

Thanks
shailesh

It is time for us to teach a lesson to these idiotic countries by taking a non-stop flight from USA to India or by flying through Asian countries which do not require transit visas!

When you are flying on Air India out of Newark to Mumbai VIA Paris without changing Aircraft at paris in this situation you do not require transit visa
Right

I just went through this frkn Paris Connection with expired H1 Stamp

I'm sorry but here is the rule I found out last week with air-france flight through Paris. They lost it, 3 people, 2 day stay in Paris was canceled. Who lost ?

If you're going your own country, many people are not required transit visa but required visa for return connection.
But case is different for certain countries including India, Even if you stay in Air Plane.
I changed flight through Germany since they're better but it didn't work either. eventually, after dealing for 3 weeks, Delta changed my flight through NY.

You can easily get transit visa to go to India but not for return since your stamp has expired. Email me for further question.
BUT GOOD THING IS I GOT H1 STAMP EASILY.
good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but here is the rule I found out last week with air-france flight through Paris. They lost it, 3 people, 2 day stay in Paris was canceled. Who lost ?

If you're going your own country, many people are not required transit visa but required visa for return connection.
But case is different for certain countries including India, Even if you stay in Air Plane.
I changed flight through Germany since they're better but it didn't work either. eventually, after dealing for 3 weeks, Delta changed my flight through NY.

You can easily get transit visa to go to India but not for return since your stamp has expired. Email me for further question.
BUT GOOD THING IS I GOT H1 STAMP EASILY.
good luck
Could you elaborate this?
you stayed in Paris to get transit visa while coming back to US right?

God Bless You ,

I have been reading lots of your input regarding retrogression and I do have lots of respect about your knowledge . I this case I had a same experience ,I was travelling through Paris to Ahemedabad and did not have valid H1 on my passport and had a AP . I searched my answer in this forum and found we need airport transist visa if you do not GC or valid visa stamp . When I went to France consulate and ask if I need visa then they said Yes , when I was going no one came to check VIsa but while coming back they carefully check my passport and check TR. Visa and dates everything . Other bad part is France consulate and immigration officers are little rude (they think they are the best in world ) so not to spoil great back home trip it will be a good idea to get visa .Getting Visa from France consulate is another headache but since we are struggling with immigration this one more small front which you need to fight .

Thanks
Shailesh

God Bless You ,

I have been reading lots of your input regarding retrogression and I do have lots of respect about your knowledge . I this case I had a same experience ,I was travelling through Paris to Ahemedabad and did not have valid H1 on my passport and had a AP . I searched my answer in this forum and found we need airport transist visa if you do not GC or valid visa stamp . When I went to France consulate and ask if I need visa then they said Yes , when I was going no one came to check VIsa but while coming back they carefully check my passport and check TR. Visa and dates everything . Other bad part is France consulate and immigration officers are little rude (they think they are the best in world ) so not to spoil great back home trip it will be a good idea to get visa .Getting Visa from France consulate is another headache but since we are struggling with immigration this one more small front which you need to fight .

Thanks
Shailesh

Thank You!
I changed my trip to direct flight from JFK to Bombay instead of via Paris -- Direct flight service is starting from Aug 1st.In future we will have this flight from EWR too.

can't wait for CO

Continental is supposed to start their direct, non-stop EWR to BOM flight on Oct 30 - that will be convenient for us!

Thank You!
I changed my trip to direct flight from JFK to Bombay instead of via Paris -- Direct flight service is starting from Aug 1st.In future we will have this flight from EWR too.