Transfer or not transfer – this is the question?

izmailovo

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys

We moved to California for a “similar job” a month ago (thus, AC21 satisfied), and I have updated our address with INS – mail from NSC comes with no hitch. But we are outside of the NSC jurisdiction.

1- Should I write to them with my new offer latter and ask them to transfer case to CSC? Things are a bit faster in CSC…
2- Should I personally appear at Los Angeles INS office and ask them to transfer the case to this district office? I’ve heard
3- Should I wait for them to finish processing the case in NSC and send whateve correspondnce (2nd FP, RFE, etc) to my address in CA?
4- Is transfer dangerous – e.g. it may cause a significant delay, they may loose the case, DOES THE PRIORITY DATE HOLD in case of transfer?

Any one with a similar experience? This should be pretty common scenario
For reference my

LIN-02-146xxxxx
ND 03/29/02

How did you update your address with BCIS, did you send any information through your lawyer or AR11 was sufficient.

Please let me know, I'm on the same boat.

Thanks

Originally posted by izmailovo
Hi Guys

We moved to California for a “similar job” a month ago (thus, AC21 satisfied), and I have updated our address with INS – mail from NSC comes with no hitch. But we are outside of the NSC jurisdiction.

1- Should I write to them with my new offer latter and ask them to transfer case to CSC? Things are a bit faster in CSC…
2- Should I personally appear at Los Angeles INS office and ask them to transfer the case to this district office? I’ve heard
3- Should I wait for them to finish processing the case in NSC and send whateve correspondnce (2nd FP, RFE, etc) to my address in CA?
4- Is transfer dangerous – e.g. it may cause a significant delay, they may loose the case, DOES THE PRIORITY DATE HOLD in case of transfer?

Any one with a similar experience? This should be pretty common scenario
For reference my

LIN-02-146xxxxx
ND 03/29/02

Transfer to a different Service Center is not your option. It is done by BCIS, if necessary. Based on postings in this forums, NSC does not ordinarily transfer I-485 cases in these situations (other than occassional transfer to a local office).

K.S.

more on transfer

About change of address: I just call the 1-800 information number to ask the question of what to do since we moved. They changed my and my wife's address over the phone. After that, they said that the system automatically generates AR11 to be sent to your new address.

Still the questioin remains: do I need to do anything, or can I do anything until my case is taken out of the shelf in Nebraska?

e.g. Can I ask them to transfer the case to CA- it worked when my friends visited local office and asked to do it.

Thanks for the information.

I just spoke to my attorney, she said that she has sent a formal notification to BCIS for the change of address. On top of that I had also sent AR11.

Now for your question about transfer, I heard from some friends that this delays the process. Also, when I was moving to new address my attorney mentioned that if I was moving to a location under another service center then she would've asked BCIS to transfer my case to the new service center and this could cause some delay in processing.

I guess inferring from her response my feeling is that your attorney should request for transfer to the applicable service center. Please contact your attorney for the right advise. I think he should suggest putting up a transfer request, because if BCIS should do this automatically based on realization that you're moved to new location they can take their own sweet time. This would cause unnecessary delays.

Moreover now you're in California which is going leaps and bounds ahead of NSC, this could actually speed up your process.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Please use above information at your risk, I'm not an attorney or immigration expert. Above are just my thoughts.