transfer from H-1B to F-1 via Canada

samarth001

Hi,

I am currently in USA on H-1B visa. I am planning to attend full time graduate program in Fall semester and want to transfer my status from H-1B to F-1. I left my job this week and I am temporarily out of status. I consulted the international office at my university and they advised me to go to home country to get the F-1 visa stamped to avoid any problems. I am wondering if I can go to Vancouver, Canada embassy to get my F-1 stamped as that is easier than going to India. Do you see any issues with it? Please let me know if there are any potential complications. I really appreciate your help.

Also, can you indicate the process and timelines of getting Canada visitor visa and how long will I have to stay in Canada?

Regards,

Sam

From what I have heard - may not be accurate - Getting your visa stamping done any place other than your home country is sometimes risky. If the foreign embassy refuses to stamp the visa on your passport they may also revoke your existing US visa. In which case you may get stranded in Canada and have to travel to your home country (from Canada) for the stamping.