Traffic violation N-445 citizenship oath ceremony?

mi_chen2003

Registered Users (C)
10 days before my citizenship oath ceremony, I got a traffic ticket with "VC 21453A red/stop vehicular." the fine is $456 and if I attend the traffic school the fine is $510.

On the N-445 Notice from immigration office, I must answer "yes" to the question 4 whether I have any traffic violation. will that affect my Oath ceremony?

* 3 hours ago
* - 4 days left to answer.

Additional Details
Thanks David, I heard they most likely will postpone the ceremony if the ticket is uppaid at the time of ceremony.. any best advise?

Bobsmyth, Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I don't need to go to the court, just the traffic violation for not stopping on the red light for left turn.

However I am planing to go to the court on Monday to reduce the fine, I am worried about the $500 limit.

Do you happen to know if they would let me get my citizenship if I paid the fine with the receipt?

Bobsmyth, Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I don't need to go to the court, just the traffic violation for not stopping on the red light for left turn.

However I am planing to go to the court on Monday to reduce the fine, I am worried about the $500 limit.

Do you happen to know if they would let me get my citizenship if I paid the fine with the receipt?

Yes, just show proof of payment at the oath..you'll be fine. Good luck!

Thanks again. Here is what I found on the web.

by Wade Prater: If an alien is convicted of a crime or has been cited, she must disclose such incident pior to naturalization. An officer will review the nature of the conviction or infraction. Some aliens will be allowed to proceed to naturalize despite infraction, i.e, traffice ticket indicating fine was paid(alien should take proof). If DHS feels that the new crime impedes (good moral character) naturalization, theyh will pull person out of ceremony schedule and will do motion to reopen to rescind naturaliztion approvel.

I am planning to take the chance and paid the fine and attend traffic school to dimiss the ticket.

Thanks again. Here is what I found on the web.

by Wade Prater: If an alien is convicted of a crime or has been cited, she must disclose such incident pior to naturalization. An officer will review the nature of the conviction or infraction. Some aliens will be allowed to proceed to naturalize despite infraction, i.e, traffice ticket indicating fine was paid(alien should take proof). If DHS feels that the new crime impedes (good moral character) naturalization, theyh will pull person out of ceremony schedule and will do motion to reopen to rescind naturaliztion approvel.

I am planning to take the chance and paid the fine and attend traffic school to dimiss the ticket.

A red light ticket isn't something that would you get pulled from oath. What the article is referring to is more serious tickets such as DUI with injuries.

Actually Wade Prater is some kind of immigration officer(I guess), he is in LA area and was responding to the N445 question 4.

I hope to find anyone have been through this can post their experiance.

I am also wondering if I attend traffic school, will the violation get dimissed the same day the court receive my certification of finished the school?

I am also wondering if I attend traffic school, will the violation get dimissed the same day the court receive my certification of finished the school?

Traffic school may have been a requirement in your case. If so, the charge remains on your DMV record.

no, the traffic school is not required. It is optional. I just think if I can show the immigration officer the proof that I already finished the school and paid the fine. woiuld that help?

I specifically brought this subject up in my interview and IO said if there is any arrest due to it I should be reported and he said for example DUI or accedent cause any bodily injury or death etc.If you read the paper they send out before interview to remind applicant about required documents to take for interview says something briefly about traffic tickets and if you don't have it or did not receive it let me know and will find mine and will email it to you.Honestly if that note does not include the nature of the ticket you have received, I would not even bring it up and refer to that note for covering the base.Remember once you bring up something even unnessecery, may have unnesecery consequences or delay.But I would make sure to pay it and get it out of the way before oath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete6644, that's not correct. You are talking about the citizenship interview.
I am talking about the N445 ceremony notice after the citizenship interview.

On the back of the N445, question #4 ask if you have done anything wro9ng include traffic violation which I have to answer Yes due to the traffic ticket.

I don't remember my N-445 since there was oath 2 days later.You might be right but if did not mention exclusively traffic ticket what I said earlier could apply to it.

Actually Wade Prater is some kind of immigration officer(I guess), he is in LA area and was responding to the N445 question 4.

I hope to find anyone have been through this can post their experiance.

Are the IOs allowed to provide legal advice off their job? It leaves
no ambuilty