traffic tickets

Although people on this board (some more (JoeF) than others) suggest to mention it. But personally I know three people who have gone through the interview process did not mention it and did not had any issue during the interview. As per them, it is unnecessary confusing (and some times misleading) to the officer looking into your application.

My thoughts

If you checked the Part 10 box 15, 16, 17 just for a simple traffic ticket which you may alreadyhave described in your N400 about the nature of the violation, INS however most likely will look at your case from a different angle and ask you about more evidences, thus dela your application. You give yourself a hard time.

To JoeF, I don't think the people at the INS customer information line mislead and people. If that is true, INS is certainly doing something wrong. Do you have any support evidence about your "Hmm, never believe anything the people at the customer misinformation line tell you.
These people are not trained in the law (otherwise, they would be lawyers and not answer the phone), they are not CIS employees (this is outsourced), and they have a history of giving misleading, wrong and sometimes even dangerous "advice".

No need to disclose traffic violations on N-400

You do not really need to disclose the traffic violation tickets in your N-400 if you have paid all the tickets. It will only make your N-400 more complicated and maybe more work for your interviewing officer. Only if they ask you in the inteview (which I seriously doubt it) you should then disclose about the traffic tickets and that you have paid all tickets and take any receipts if you have one. Keep in mind that keeping your N-400 as simple and straight might save you lot of trouble - just don't lie anything on it!

The prior N-400 explicitely excluded traffic tickets. The current version does not do that. If one had traffic tickets the correct answer in section 10 is 'Yes', the applicant received a citation. The applicant should avoid to change this answer to 'No' because of his interpretation of what is important and what is not. It is true that minor traffic tickets are not a problem. My guess is that the question was changed in the past because the USCIS wants to decide itself what is important and what is not. The applicant is just supposed to answer the questions truthfully. Nowhere in the Natz guide it says that a speeding ticket does not have to be mentioned and that only DUI has to be noted. The guide does not tell you if 10 tickets in the last year would be a problem, and that 5 would be 'ok' .... so my advice would be : Leave the interpretation of your answers to the adjudicating officer. And if one did not realize that the tickets have to be mentioned, it will not hurt them - if the true background is really harmless in the eyes of the USCIS. One would give the adjudication officer however the opportunity to say that one 'lied' on his application. My understanding though is that the USCIS are not a bunch of bad guys that want you to jump over hurdles and through loops for their entertainment. However if your application has some issues, a ticket 'lie' would not be very helpful.

JoeF has by the way many years of experience dealing with these issues. So he is talking about his experience and impressions he collected from being involved in the matters of immigration and naturalization in particular. So I would chill a bit and forget about 'supporting evidence' .... this is not a court of law but an informal place to exchange experience and opinions. Whatever you hear here you can't 'take to the bank' and you still have to make your homework. I would understand JoeF's comment about the USCIS customer service in a way that one should be careful about following their advice without confirming with other sources if possible. Some people may have had bad experience with that ... that's all.

Before I found this forum I called them (USCIS) about the photo requirements. The guide showed a 3/4 view (still does) and the photographer said I would have to take a front shot. The USCIS told me I have to follow the guide and take the picture in a side view like it is shown .... but on a separat publication I found later that the USCIS indeed changed their requirements last year.

Alex