Traffic citations - Speeding tickets

OK OC I get it. So for 15 No & 16 Yes. These are all related to speeding Ticket and nothing else. How about the answers.

Why: Traffic Violation / Speeding / ????

Outcome: Fine Paid / ?????

Some of you think that these are really simple stupid questions. I know. But I would rather ask them here than wait for long long time. As far as INS is concerned nothing is stupid.

pdev11 said:
OK OC I get it. So for 15 No & 16 Yes. These are all related to speeding Ticket and nothing else. How about the answers.

Why: Traffic Violation / Speeding / ????

Outcome: Fine Paid / ?????

Some of you think that these are really simple stupid questions. I know. But I would rather ask them here than wait for long long time. As far as INS is concerned nothing is stupid.

Why: Traffic Violation / Speeding / <city name / date>
Outcome: Fine Paid / <date>

that is what i put on a new n400 form and i brought it with me to the interview.

better play safe than sorry.

what is a "citation"

Well I have an equally stupid question to follow:)

What is a citation? I recevied a small piece of paper -warning for a blown headlamp and was asked to rectify and show it at the local police office. After I showed the rectified head lamp the lady signed OK on the sheet of the paper I had and took it and said you are good to go.

After reading the N-400 form I got my driving record and there are no enteries in it. So my question is was I "cited"? If so I will need proof of dispostion of the matter, right?
thanks for answering..

brb2 said:
Well I have an equally stupid question to follow:)

What is a citation? I recevied a small piece of paper -warning for a blown headlamp and was asked to rectify and show it at the local police office. After I showed the rectified head lamp the lady signed OK on the sheet of the paper I had and took it and said you are good to go.

After reading the N-400 form I got my driving record and there are no enteries in it. So my question is was I "cited"? If so I will need proof of dispostion of the matter, right?
thanks for answering..

who gave you the "small piece of paper"?
and how did you get the "small piece of paper"?

i am thinking this kind of sitations are similar to the "parking ticket".

was your driver license on that small piece of paper?

if not, the warning is not for the driver, the warning is for the owner of the car to pay the fine.

I was pulled over by a copy and then I waited in my car and the cop came and gave me and said it is a warning to get the headlight fixed but it won't go in my record so the insurance people can't jack up my rate. He wrote my name and stuff on that. I can't recall if my license number was on the paper the size of a parking fine. In this case there was no fine and no court attendance - just to attend to the defect and show at the local police office.

ocworker said:
who gave you the "small piece of paper"?
and how did you get the "small piece of paper"?

i am thinking this kind of sitations are similar to the "parking ticket".

was your driver license on that small piece of paper?

if not, the warning is not for the driver, the warning is for the owner of the car to pay the fine.

brb2 said:
I was pulled over by a copy and then I waited in my car and the cop came and gave me and said it is a warning to get the headlight fixed but it won't go in my record so the insurance people can't jack up my rate. He wrote my name and stuff on that. I can't recall if my license number was on the paper the size of a parking fine. In this case there was no fine and no court attendance - just to attend to the defect and show at the local police office.

in this case, i am not too sure. if you want to diclose it, that is fine. since i have not seen others mentioning about "warning" from a law enforcement officer, so i can't really say it for sure.

i found this

19. What does a "Warning" mean on a motor vehicle citation?

There is no fine associated with a warning, however, should you receive three separate warnings within one year, the Registry of Motor Vehicles has the option of suspending your driver's license.

link: http://www.napd.us/faq.html

JoeF said:
The last citation I got says "citation" right on it and has a citation #. If it doesn't say that or something similar, it's not a citation.

i would believe he does not have that "small piece of paper" anymore.

if i were him, i would report it. if they found out it was not a citation, it would not do any harm.

better to be safe than sorry.

thanks Ocworker and JoeF.
My reluctance to mention it on the N-400 stems from the lethargy to go to the police station and try to dig up the details of the warning ticket. But I guess it is better to do get the details, than feel sorry for the lapse later on.

Questions for Mr. JohnnyCash

Dear Mr. Johhny Cash

Your posts show that you are a very knowledgeful attorney regarding immigration matters. I have some very important questions for you and it would be great if you could answer them for me.

On N-400 application, I checked the box "YES" to the "have you been arrested, cited, charged" question, and listed my arrest including the court outcome of my arrest. I have spoken to an immigration attorney and was told that I do not need to worry about that arrest since it was more than 5 years ago and I was not convicted, I was found not guilty. I went to the interview more than a year ago and the officer asked me questions about my arrest and I answered all his questions truthfully, he said that he doesn't think the arrest should be a problem. During the interview, the traffic tickets did not come up. The officer may have asked me if my arrest was the only major problem with the police, and I have answered him that I did not think of it as being a problem since I was found not guilty.

Now that I am reading up on this forum, that I learned that I was also supposed to list minor traffic violations on my application as well. I did not know and understand this because I was so much concentrating on my disclosing my arrest. It has been over a year since my interview and I am stuck in the name check process like many others here. I have just requested my driving records from DMV and it shows that I have had many tickets in the past 16 years. So I was gettting about 2 tickets per year. Here is the breakdown of my tickets

17 Tickets for speeding tickets (Some were Paid, some were Adjudication Witheld)
6 Tickets for failing to obey traffic sign (Some were Paid, some were Adjudication Witheld)
4 Tickets for Not Wearing Seatbelt
1 Ticket for Expired Tag
1 Ticket for driving while license was suspended
(due to too many points) this was more than 5 years ago (Adjudication Witheld)
1 Driver's License Suspension for failure to pay traffic penalty on time ( 6 months ago)

All the traffic tickets were taken care of on time. I either paid them or went to traffic school or went to court and pleaded no contest. I also noticed in my driving record (which I had no knowledge of this) that my driver license was suspended for a few days 6 months ago, because I paid a traffic ticket a couple days late. But this was after my interview. Although in the past 15 years, I had a lot of tickets, I had no accidents that I was cited for.

Since you are a lawyer, please advise me what I need to do right now. What are my options now? What should I do? Should I inform USCIS of my traffic tickets, if so how? I was thinking of going to the local office and asking to speak with an adjudication officer or someone that can take my paperwork from me and put it in my application. I do not intend on giving them a copy of my driving record from DMV. However, without saying anything specifically about tickets, I was thinking of making a brief cover page and say that these are the documents that has been requested from me for that specific question on my application. Even though they have not requested anything from me lately. And underneath the cover page, I was thinking of giving them a copy with my arrest record, and court record showing no conviction (which they should already have in file) and another page in there in the middle with one or two sentences on it saying that I had some minor traffic violations in the past which were taken care of by being paid or adjudication witheld. So this would go in my file, and I would be officially informing them of my tickets without bringing too much attention to the details and number of my tickets. Or I could just mail these in. How should I go about doing this? What is your advice on this matter? How should I handle it as best?

Also regarding the oath ceremony, I know that the form N-445 (Notice of Oath Ceremony) has a question that reads like this. Since your interview "Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined, or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?" Now that I got my driving record from DMV I just found out that my driver license was suspended 6 months ago (after interview) for failing to pay traffic fine on time, I was a few days late. I had no knowledge of this since after I paid the traffic ticket, they must have just automatically reinstated my license. I assume this because I checked with DMV recently and they said my license is valid. So I did not have to do anything more than paying the traffic ticket itself to reinstate my license. I did not pay any extra penalties or fees to reinstate my license. I would not even have known about this license suspension if I did not request my driving record from DMV. Do I need to disclose that my driver license was suspended for failing to pay traffic ticket on time on N-445 or to the officer that I am going to hand in N-445? It is my interpretation that Driver License suspension is not an "arrest, citation, charge, indictment, conviction, fine, or imprisonment"

However, I know I am going to have disclose any tickets after my interview on N-445 form or to the officer that I am going to hand my N-445 form.

Question: If I do not inform them of tickets that I received before my interview, and I get naturalized later, can they denaturalize me and deport me if they find out about my tickets later? What kind of legal consequences can I face? I am exploring what the best legal option is for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speeding Ticket.

hi ocworker,

I have another question for you. I got a speeding ticket in 1999 in a different state. Nobody seem to have any record of it. Should i mention it and say to the best of my knowledge or ignore it. So what should i do now? :confused:

Thank You.

Suzy977 said:
I paid the tickets by mail. Both of them, no court appearance, I thought is a waste of time since the cop is "always right".
Now, DMV says "violation corrected", my logical conclusion is that: First the police or court gave them the info about the initial violation, and after I paid the ticket they also informed DMV.
CIS should be at least out of their mind not to accept the DMV report, it's no way in the world DMV will mark it as "Violation Corrected" if somebody (most likely the court) doesn't tell them that I paid it.
And another thing, I've heard the other day someone saying: "Yes but DMV has records only for the last 3 or 5 years"...I believe if you have an outstanding warrant it will stay in your DMV record for as long as you live :confused: ...they don't just erase it after 3 or 5 years, right?
Am I making sense? I'd like to hear others opinion, and unlike some guys in this forum I won't get mad and start calling you names if you think differently ;) I'm here to learn and to understand things, and if once in a while I can help, I'll be more than happy to do it :)

What is specified in the DMV record for each citation?
(Does it mention where, when and outcome?) I had one speeding ticket and one minor accident due to hitting the car infront of me on a rainy day. I also paid the fee by Mail in one case and the other I just went to a court and paid it.

Thanks.
Bhil60

Last edited by a moderator: