Tracking time spent outside US while a PR

MGI

Registered Users (C)
Curious as to who is responsible for tracking time spent outside the US after you get PR. This obviously affects residency requirements for citizenship down the road and also the need for a re-rentry permit if you stay more than 1 year.

The question is how BCIS determines the date you left the country - There is nothing noted in your Passport when you leave the US. There is also no I94 that you surrender. So how does BCIS get that information? To the best of my knowledge the airline did not note my A# either to send to BCIS. Coming back they do stamp the arrival date at POE.

Is it our responsibility to save Boarding passes, iterinaries etc.? What if you left by car?

There is a way to tell by the entry and exit stamps on your passport from other countries, I guess. If there is one.

That is one way I guess...but you know how those entry/exit stamps are - they can be illegible at times.

Bottomline...whose responsibility is it to track it - ours or BCIS?

MGI said:
That is one way I guess...but you know how those entry/exit stamps are - they can be illegible at times.

Bottomline...whose responsibility is it to track it - ours or BCIS?

Also, Somebody can loose passport and get new passport with no entry/exit stamps?? How does INS verify stay in such cases? Do they check with airlines or take applicants word on it??
I have lost my passport couple of yrs back and got new passport after lot of pain.

GCLookup

If BCIS check passenger manifest then how do they determine which Joe Foe Departed and which Joe Foe Arrived. There are many Joe Foes in this coutry which have same first name and last name.The airlines do not take A# and passport records (stamps) are lost when passport is stolen or lost. Any idea?

Thanks Joe F.

However, I have not experienced an airline employee checking anything except,

Valid Passport
US Visa or GC
Valid Ticket
Baggage per limit

After that, all they do is issue a boarding pass. There is so much for them to do that they do not do complete job as pointed out in your previous thread. This way, one can not determine which Joe Foe went on plane and which Joe Foe landed. It is easy for law to state something while it is impractical for airline to bear the burden of volumnious data entry. And like any manual data entry, there can be human error. So why law should blame someone else's incompetency to Joe Foe?

...They have your address from the ticket sale, and of course passport number and A#. This actually has been a concern for Europeans, because the EU prohibits such data collection. But the EU made an exception in the case of flights to the US...

JoeF - Not sure if this is always true. My last trip - I am sure I never gave them my Passport no. and A# at the time of the reservation. And at check in - the airline agent only briefly glanced at the passport. I am sure she didnt note down my PP number and A #. In fact - I only had my PP stamp and the A# there is fairly illegible.

MGI said:
...They have your address from the ticket sale, and of course passport number and A#. This actually has been a concern for Europeans, because the EU prohibits such data collection. But the EU made an exception in the case of flights to the US...

JoeF - Not sure if this is always true. My last trip - I am sure I never gave them my Passport no. and A# at the time of the reservation. And at check in - the airline agent only briefly glanced at the passport. I am sure she didnt note down my PP number and A #. In fact - I only had my PP stamp and the A# there is fairly illegible.

Just today, at the United counter at Heathrow, the ticket guy swiped our passport and my wife's GC in a reader. I only had the stamp, so he couldn't do mine. So I guess they are collecting A#s at least sometimes.