Toyota in US -> Canada

cligsman

Registered Users (C)
I landed in August, 2001 in Canada. I spent 1 month in Toronto and returned back to the US.

I don't have a PR card (I have IMM1000). It doen't matter because I can go to Canada by car (driving from NY into Toronto). Notice the PR card is not important unless you want to use public transportation.

But I have a 1999 Toyota in my name and intend to use it to quickly move to Canada before my 3 years are over (P.S. I am subject to the 3/5 year rule).

Some on this board say that my car should have a KM odometer instead of Miles. (I have both). So what should I do to make my car acceptable? I mean I want to be allowed to get into Canada by crossing the US-Canadian border without worrying about whether I will be rejected because of my car. My car has Air Bags, ABS Brakes, Mile and Kilo Meter readings on the odometer, and I also have Certificate of Title in my name. Is that enough?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply :Toyota in US -> Canada

Hi,
I am also in a similar situation like you(Landed in Sept 2001 and then moved to USA within 2 weeks) and was initially thinking of taking my Car from USA to Canada then scrapped the idea as my car is not admissable to Canada
You need to first check whether your car is admissable to Canada or not
Go to http://www.riv.ca/ to know more about this
You can also call up or send email to those guys with ur car VIN and they will tell you whether they will allow your car in Canada or not.
Even they allow your car to enter into Canada you need to change odometer /and complete vehicle inspection in Canada to get certificate in Canadian standard
After viewing postings from other guys it seems importing car from USA to Canada is painful in long term perspective and I would advice if you are planning to stay in Canada atleast for couple of years sell your USA car and buy another used car in Canada
Even if you are returning Canada after Dec 31st 2003 you can cross the border via a rented car ..only problem is most of the USA car rental company don't allow one way rentlal from USA to Canada if you are not USA citizen/GC holder ..so you need to take any of your friend's help in that case
Hope this info will help u
Regards,
Ani

Thanks but no need to sell car

Your response is very helpful..Thanks a lot.
But when I went to http://www.riv.ca/english/_admis_list_may03_Eng.pdf, I noticed that my car is in the Admissible column. So I think I do not need to do any modifications.

I just noticed that my car's odometer shows both Kilometers and Miles on its odometer. Although the Miles are in a very small font, I still think my Camry 1999 does not need any modifications.

Also, I emailed them at info@riv.ca and asked if my title is the only document needed for my car at the border. Yes, I did give them the ID number on my Title.

In summary, it is as as easy to travel to canada with your own car as long as it doesn't require any modifications. I understand your suggestion to rent a one way car if possible. But in light of this, do you still think I should still avoid using my car to immigrate to Canada?

Yes, I know if it's not in the Admissble column, then travelling with ones car is a REALLY big headache.

Thanks again.

No outstanding recalls is required. How to get proof?

Everyone who wants to drive by her/his own car should read this.

The vehicle may have modifications required before it can pass the RIV inspection. These modifications include:

(a) U.S. statement of compliance label (SOC);
(b) valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN;
(c) Metric speedometer and Odometer labels. (The inspection centre will place labels if required)
(d) recall documentation (we require a letter from the Original Equipment Manufacturer stating there are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle. VIN must be included);
(e) Daytime Running Lights;
(f) Infant Restraint Kit;
(g) Functioning airbags (if, originally equipped with airbags); and
(h) French Supplementary Restraint system label for airbags that require periodic maintenance.

Make sure you have the required documentation at time of crossing: title documents, registration, sales receipts, and statement of compliance label.

Please contact Canada Customs and Revenue Agency to determine if there are any duties and/or taxes applicable at 1-800-461-9999 (within Canada) or 204-983-3500 (outside Canada). Please contact U.S. Customs regarding the
exportation of this US vehicle.

Please contact our office at 1-888-848-8240 so that we may send you an information package.

But I find (d), (h) very hard to achieve. I mean I have the title in my name so how could I apply for the Recall Documentation required?

You are right, bringing your car to Canada is a very hard thing because of the above.

Importing a car into Canada is a beauracratic time consuming process. Nevertheless, it is not an impossible or a very difficult task.

For a recall notice (proof), go to the manufacturer's website, get a 800 number, call them, ask them and they will redirect you to the right party and the manufacturer will be able to fax or mail a proof of any proof of recall notice to you.

I did that with my 98 Dodge Neon. I called Chrysler and they sent me the letter within a week.

The French label for the air bag is not a life-threatening issue. Its just a adhesive label that you stick on the dash. You could get it from a dealer parts store. Canada needs to have evertyhing in French and English of course, never mind the fact you may not know how to read French.

Visit a Canadian Tire store and tell them you need to "modify" your car for import. They know what you are talking about and they will do all that is necessary and will send you home with all the necessary approvals and paperwork that you need to process the import. It cost me about $250 to "modify" my car at Canadian Tire. Visit their website for phone numbers and details.

There are no duties on importing your car other than $180 (I think) AC fee. If you however sell your car within 12 months after importing, you will pay duties.

Odometer does not need any change since most north american cars carry both milesand km on the gages.

Get PR card after 12/31/2003???

You mean we can enter canada w/ landing paper after 12/31/2003 and we still can get valid PR card? I landed in 4/2000 and had 2 years return permit. I also had 99 toyato camery which
I imported when I was landing. I don't know if there are some problems for this time (duties/tax?). I tried to enter Canada in middle of DEC, 2003. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

Re:Get PR card after 12/31/2003???

You can definately apply for PR card even after 12/31/2003
Technically you can also enter Canada showing your IMM1000 doc
if you travel by your own car.Only issue is in CIC website they mentioned about travel to USA from Canada and returning back without PR card after 12/31/2003.So POE officer might not allow if you try to enter in your vehicle with US licence plate.Find below the CIC instruction regarding this:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Can I use my IMM 1000 to travel to the US in my own car?

Yes.
As of December 31, 2003, the PR card will be required to re-enter Canada by commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus). This requirement does not apply if you are travelling by private vehicle. You should contact the US immigration services about their document requirements
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So To avoid any conflict lot of guys who are in USA and planning to return Canada applied for PR card already

PR Card isn't always REQUIRED after DEC 31!

Yes, I checked the CIS site and the conclusion is:

The PR Card is not required if traveling by car even after Dec 31, 2003!!!!

The comment above about leaving Canada with US plates after Dec 31, 2003 and then re-entering with US plates is very tricky and confusing to the immigration officer. But with the 3/5 absence, there is no need to worry. The law came in to place to allow this travel freedom. So you can always argue your case and re-enter.

By the way, Toyota customer service is great. Just call and ask for a Disclaimer for the purpose of travelling to Canada and they will send you one with the VIN number in 3-5 days only!! In addition, newer Toyota models don't face any problems when importing to Canada. This is because they already meet the Canadian specifications.

pr card after 31st Dec

Hi,
Did you call up CiC to check PR card requirement after 31st dec if one travel from USA to Canada in his US License plated car
Actually i got a different feedback from CIC guy and probably he gave me a wrong answer then.His explanation was that flexibility
is for person who is having Canadian licence plated car and commuting work from Canada to USA not the other way round
I will be much relieved if i can travel in my car even after Dec 31.
As a matter of fact to maintain my residency i am plannig to leave my current project in between as my pr card application has got some problem and won't receive before 31st dec
Can i safely continue my project till my 3/5 period ends and then enter Canada without PR card
My current car is in inadmissable category but can exchange or buy an admissable used car
Will appreciate your feedback

Bring Toyota car to Canada

Can somebody tell me how to get " U.S. statement of compliance label "? I just followed previoius post to get recall letter from Toyota regional center. Thanks in advance!

Statement of Compliance

Just look at Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States as admissible, revised August 2002. Your vehicle must bear a Statement of Compliance label affixed by the Original Equipment Manufacturer stating that "the vehicle as
manufactured to comply with all US federal emission, bumper and safety standards on the date of manufacture". This label is located on the pillar of the driver door side. Failing that, it is acceptable to bring a letter from the
manufacturer stating the same. Please refer to this list at
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importusa/impusae.htm.

If you still have questions, let me know.

Re: transfer money from US to Canada

Question for seniors:
When I move to canada, Do I have to bring cashier check or money order to Canada? Can I use my personnel check (from Bank of American) to transfer my money to canada (just like move one plance to another in Canada)?
Thanks!

The money order should be in Canadian money.

I used Cashier Checks. If you have AAA, then the fee is waived for the checks or money order.

Thanks cligman

Hi cligman,
Thanks for your advice
Yes I have AAA so will carry travellers check less than $10K CDN so that I don't need to declare anything at border
Also I checked with my US bank and they are suggesting I can do wire transfer from my US account to my Canadian Bank accuount.
There is no limit in wire transfer and I need to pay only $20 as transfer fee.So remaining amount I'll transfer one week before I leave USA.Normally wire transfer take 3-4 business days and you can keep in USD even in you Canadian bank account
Thanks

How about the income tax issue?

Great discussion. I am in similar situation as you guys. I see nobody has mentioned the income tax issues. Have you guys filled out the Canadian tax forms every year? Will it be a problem when reentering Canada? I'd appreciate if somebody can shine some light on.

Thanks! Wire transfer? which means I should have bank acct in Canada? But I don't have one right now. Does anyone know Bank of American has branch in Canada? Nobody mentions personnel check. I assume it doesn't work. Currently I don't want to carry all my money to Canada b/c the ratio is too low. I am not sure if Bank of American send my rest of money to me by mail if I ask this by mail. I did this when I moved one state to different
state in US.
Thanks in advance!

Wire Tarnsfer

For tarnsfering money via wire you need to be there from where you are tarnsfering the money .If you don't have any account in Canada and if any of your friend or relatives have account in Canada you still can wire transfer from your account to their account in Canada.The good things about wire transfer are
(1) Service charge is only $20 flat where as Western Union will be much much expensive
(2) You can transfer and keep your money still in US doller in your friend's /Relatives account in Canada so when you get a good rate you can just convert into CDN$
If you don't have anyone in Canada after landing in Canada you can ask your US bank to close the account and send your money via check or you can simply deposit US bank check in your Canadian bank account and still keep in US$.Only problem is this process could take 15-30 days time wereas wire transfer takes ony 3-4 days time
Thanks