Tough Road Ahead for Indians

rajan5

So far this year, there are 415,000 layoffs, which does NOT include 200,000 H1B\'s, of which 90% are Indians. We know there are 50%Indians of all H1B\'s, but Indians are mostly concentrated on IT area, where they have 80% people. Downsizing in Silly Valley gives those people the hardest hit.

http://www.forbes.com/2001/06/01/layoffs.html

While getting freedom (i.e. obtaining GC) is something worth celebrating, there\'s tough time ahead. There\'s no person who does not experience an economy down turn in his life. Paying your mortgage bill on time for your house will not be less stressful in the next 15-30 years. America is a highly competitive society. People in their 40-50\'s will be difficult to find a job in IT area. Think about this, if so many existing H1B\'s are out of job while they have years of experiences, why are there still about 80,000 new H1B\'s so far this INS fiscal year? Because IT industry (and/or US) constantly needs new, refreshed, young minds. It will be even better to pay lower. After all, isn\'t that the same reason that has brought so many Indians here in the first place?

Younger Indian H1B\'s will come here to replace the older Indians, even though the latter are holding GC\'s and are only 30-40 years old.

It is a sad story for every one of us.

No Title

being a big fan of the Buddha (yes, Gautam Buddha) let me give you my 2 cents on this issue.
Nobody can change the events in one\'s life. The only thing you can change is your reaction to it. People should not be worried about times ahead (have GC but no job, will I get citizenship ? etc) or the past (I have spent 6 years to get this freakin GC , intent to deny , denied etc). What matters is that you focus on the current moment because that is all that matters. Tough times , good times etc are mere creations of our minds.
Good luck

No Title

What do you mean by being a big fan of Buddha? like you watch his show on stage or something?

But you are right, that guy who is worrying too much need to have a big fan to blow away those dark cloud of his.

No Title

The negetive and positive things can happen anywhere. The situation for IT people in India or any other country is not different from USA. In this country, it is possible to survive doing different jobs. People did machine jobs when mechanical Engineering jobs were hot. Now the same guys are doing management consulting for IT developments. This is a unique country which runs on a positive momentum.

Keeping a positive attitude is what we need. Coming from India, we should be more philosophical as well as materialistic as much as possible. This will help us identifying what our goals of life.

So, lets live with the present situation hoping to have a best future.

Nirvana

No Title

There is some truth the bleak outlook.
Software engineering, unlike any other profession in mankind\'s history, is one which reinvents itself once every few years. What people have learned becomes more or less obsolete, if not in three years, then in ten years. Sure, when something becomes obsolete, the old timers can always retrain and learn the latest thing, but so can a 23 year old straight from college for 1/2 the salary. Think about it, there has never been a precedent to this. In almost any other profession, skills are accumulated on progressive basis with low risk of the entire paradigm shifting from under their feet. In software, this is not the case. The best advice I can give to programmers is that they become knowledgeable about the processes and workings of a particular industry, and attempt to move into more generalist positions which separates them from pure nitty gritty coding.

No Title

A human being has different sentiments in the different stages of life. When you are in the market, you want the stocks continue to rise; when you are out, you do not want to see the stock price higher. It is relativity.

When you are in H1B, you want PR. But after you secure a GC, you don\'t want any more H1B\'s. It is human\'s nature, nothing unreasonable, unethical, or narrow-minded. Just as in the global arena, U.S. always thinks and takes care of its interests first. It is neither right nor wrong.

Now Americans continue to give new H1B\'s to newcomers, ignoring existing H1B\'s who are unemployed as well as those GC holders, why would you not against H1B policy? It will be naive to think that as long as you constantly learning and you have few years of experience in IT, you can pay off your mortgages without struggling in the next 20-30 years, not to mention that you also want a Caribbean vacation, send money back to India, sponsor your relatives to come here studying, retirement savings, and dreamed Lexus/BMW cars.

Check the following link
  http://www.elance.com/c/cats/main/categories.pl?catId=10224&type=buyer
you will find out how cheap it is nowadays for someone to develop a moderately complicated website for only several hundred or one or two thousand dollars -- from people physically located in India or East Europe who eagerly want to earn some hard currency. It is an alarming trend that will surely give lots of thoughts for those newly approved I-485\'s.

No Title

Sanadi_appanna,
Think about this- I read a similar post, But the wordings were different. the correct one says "MAN ALWAYS WANTED A SHOE TILL HE SAW A MAN WITH NO LEGS"

Buddha said "DESIRE IS THE ROOT CAUSE FOR SORROW" Think about it this saying has helped me in the most difficult times.

Sanadi are you from Bangalore?

max max