Today was I-485 Interview

fmmac

Registered Users (C)
Our case got transferred from Nebraska Service Center to National Benifits Center and they call us for interview at Los Angeles local office.

Our interview(myself and spouse) was today 08/07/2009.

The Immigration Office (IO) checked our originals (birth certificates and marriage certificate, our 2008 tax return, asked for latest employer letter. Took copy of our daughters birth certificates (US citizens). Then he went on to check if the Visa number is available for my category (I was surprised to see that he used the same website we use to check for visa avaliability). He said "Damm it the visa number is not avaliable for your category" He cannot adjudicate the case because my priority date is not current and that it is beyond his control. I asked him if everything is OK with our files. He said everything is OK, you have to wait till the date becomes current.

He gave me and my wife a letter each, that states to inquire after 180 days and to visit their website on a monthly basis to determine when a visa will be available to you. In my letter he gave the visa category as E26 with priority date 05/16/2007 and in my wife's letter he gave the visa category as E27 with priority date 05/16/2007, for both country or chargeability as India. And he signed the letter.

I was pretty apprehensive days before the interview. Now we feel relieved. I think, only if the visa number was available, we would have got our green cards today.

Would like you all to comment or would like to hear from those of you who had similar experience.

Are they chasing us ?

To me it looks like they are chasing us. They want to reduce the number of applicants. I think that they are Just checking to see if they can dump our applications. I wish I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same boat. I am scheduled to attend the interview in Los Angeles at 7:15 AM although my priority dates are not current. Isn't that weird? Should we bring all our degree certificates and evaluation papers to the interview? How long did the interview lost ? Please share your experience.

Yes you need to take you originals the copies of which you had submitted along with the I-485 application. In my case the officer verified the originals with the copies I had submitted along with the I-485 application. Also you need to take Original latest employment letter from the employer and tax returns with w2s. In my case he took the copy of the latest (2008) tax return.

The interview lasted for about half an hour during which he steped out of his office about couple of times to take copies of some of our originals and also I think to talk to someone.

Yes you need to take you originals the copies of which you had submitted along with the I-485 application. In my case the officer verified the originals with the copies I had submitted along with the I-485 application. Also you need to take Original latest employment letter from the employer and tax returns with w2s. In my case he took the copy of the latest (2008) tax return.

The interview lasted for about half an hour during which he steped out of his office about couple of times to take copies of some of our originals and also I think to talk to someone.

Thank you so much.