To Tamil people: Baba... thumbs down sniff sniff

patienceGC

Registered Users (C)
This is to all the Tamil people. Others please excuse this as a nonsense posting.

En inia Tamil makkalae…

I am very disappointed with SuperStar's new movie. After the long 3.5 year wait (longer than my GC wait), I had to watch such a stupid movie. The movie ranks next to "Ragavendra"!

I don’t quite understand why SuperStar made such a movie.

I just had to talk t someone about the pain and agony that I am going thru and what better place than a support group.

So please do not expect much from the movie… who am I kidding… expect the worst and you'll get more than that
:(

I happen to read the story of BABA. It is actually based on a true story. I guess its about Rajni's guru who lives in the Himalaya mountains. He has taken this film upon approval from his guru. Well, anyway this film has made its mark already. It has been sold out for more than 60 Crores in India. 150 Crores in Japan. On top of this they are expecting a collection of over 50 Crores. What more does a producer want from a film.

Dude you have to understand. When it come to Rajini movie, its not about the money. Its never a big deal. It will gross enough money there is no denying that. But the satisfaction of fans is the important factor. We know about spiritual stuff what we want to see is Superstar as the king in a bitter confrontation with an equal… hmm there cannot be an equal so maybe a near equal.

We see the movie for the frenzy not for spirituality. Know what I am talking about? Its all about masala and not mantra! We have patiently waited for more than three years and we didn’t get what we expected.

The graphics and other crap should be for people with no charisma like Kamal Hasan but not for Rajini. It was pretty stupid.

hey

I dont expect Rajini movie to be better than Kamal's anytime. Rajini got style and big fans that is it. Tell me frankly patienceGC, did you like 'Padiappa'?..that was a stupid movie. Baasha, Muthu and Arunachalam were good..but not 'Padaiappa'. I like Rajini very much(eventhough Kamal is my favourite :) ) but nowadays people expect movie like 'Baasha'..obviously it wont happen.:( .
But I am eagerly waiting to see Baabaa ;)

>>>The graphics and other crap should be for people with no >>>charisma like Kamal Hasan but not for Rajini. It was pretty >>>stupid.

This is not a board to discuss this, but thought would reply to your posting dragging KamalHassan's Charisma into picture (no offense meant,just a statement). Kamalhassan may not have the charisma, but he has great acting talent and is considered next best actor (when it comes to acting) in Tamil movie world after the acting legend Sivaji Ganesan.

Okay Baven

I like Kamal movies but I will not accept that they are better than Rajini's. Actually you cant compare them its apples to oranges.

Rajini movie are for entertainment. Kamal movies are more for his antics or roles.

I am a pretty big fan so yes honestly I liked Padayappa. Baasha is the King aint no doubts about that.

Kamal's movies are good in fact I even liked 'Hey Ram' but that arrogant bast**d cannot accept the fact theat he is in second place. He is too haughty. His off the screen nature irritates everyone. Whats the deal with the SenThamizh???

I went with great expectations to 'Alavandhaan'. OMG! It was HORRIBLE. And the other movies that he so cleverly copied from the West like Thenali (what about bob) make it boring for people who have watched the original. PKS and panchathanthiram were mediocre or below that. I am sorry but I expect more than that. And he is friggin so old he cant even dance anymore. Actually SuperStar had some pretty pathetic attempts at dancing in Baba.

I am just one disappointed Tamil movie fan but i still have the sense to stay away form Hindi movies LOL

yep

Kamal's Alavandhaan is the stupid movie..I paid nearly $8 to watch that in Boston.What a waste and I felt the same way when I watched Padiappa..waste of money and time.:rolleyes:
and obviously we cant compare Kamal and Rajini (same holds good for Illayaraja and A.R.Rahman).
I dont generally watch Hindi movies(I dont understand :p ) and the last one I watched was Rangeela in 1996(just for A.R.R's music)

Last edited by a moderator:
patienceGC and baven

I dont know much about Tamil Movies, so I am not going to comment on that.

But as far as Hindi Movies are Concerned

Kamal Hasan is way way ahead of Rajnikant
(I assume thats who you are talking about when you say Rajni)

Kamal Hasan-----------------------------Rajnikant
Ek Duje KE Liye--------------------------Flipping Cigerattes
Sadma-------------------------------------Flipping his shoes off
Sagar--------------------------------------Flipping his Hat
Nayakan---------------------------------Flipping his Sun glasses
Appu Raja-------------------------------Thats about it
Mayor Saab------------------------------Am I missing anything else
Hindustani
to name a few!!!!

;) :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
raj123456

I know this is not the board to discuss this but there are many threads that are more irrelevant on this board. That is why I said "others please ignore". I even had "Tamil" in the title. So people who read this thread are the ones who want to. I didn’t post anything to con anyone.

Kamal Hassan is a good actor point taken. All I said was Rajini didn’t need such things.

KH ruins his pictures with immature graphics which are again stolen from Music Videos ( "remember the time" in Indian ) and the cartoon in Alavandaan was also from a western movie, I cant remember the name though. Why doesn’t he come up with something original?

Agreeing with Pat_Kar from an economics of scale viewpoint. I think all the well known stars'/producers' (hindi, tamil etc.) movies which r badly made r guaranteed to make the money bcoz people go and watch to see why it is so bad. By the time, the dust of poor opinion about the movie has settled down, the producer/actor r laughing all the way to the bank.

Over and above this, they r brilliant enough to not repeat the same mistakes next time and come back with a new movie which is good and people go in even larger numbers to watch them.

Sooraj Barjatya made two blockbusters and then a dud like Hum Sath Saath Hein (though I liked it). This third movie still made a lot of money bcoz of his earlier reputation.

Now he will come back with another movie which will be good and he will have his reputation restored again.

Oh... No!!!

I wanted to see this movie today... I am disappointed.. I have been waiting for his movie...

I like Kamal too but he is getting weird lately.. He drills the audience minds with his roles trying to give a message which every one knows..

Hey.. I go to a movie to laugh and refresh not to come out thinking... Kamal's movies are stupid lately..End of Rajni's movie I am happy and there is one phrase in any movie of his which really "MEANS SOMETHING TRUE IN REAL LIFE"

Anyways, I expected Baba and read the review yesterday..

but will see just for Rajni

Let me post this.

I'm not a Tamilian but here is my view on this!!!

Don't know much about Tamil Film industry as such. But seen so many movies from Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Oriya, Bengali, Malayalam, Hindi, Marathi (mainly drama), Gujarathi and even Pakistani Drama etc.,

Also I watch movies from Foreign Languages (French, Russian, Italian, German, Chinese, Spanish etc.,).

This whole process has helped me to learn certain level of knowledge and their cultural values from these ethnic groups and some good lessons to copy to my life. It’s a learning process.

Yes - I'm into it (I did some crash course (editing) from Pune film institute- its not like people doing some computer crash course(no offense), but much more than that :). You need to have bachelor degree to write to entrance (I wrote 4 yrs in a row) and finally made it :). So I guess I have minimum eligibility to comment on this topic.

I haven't seen this specified movie, but seen few of Rajani movies and Kamal Hassan's movies.

I view your comments and disappointment as grown up and better maturity from your part. As you grow, your taste and interest varies and changes. But in an industry (business) movies are generally made for mass-crowd and you were in that part of the mass crowd at some point of your lifetime, but you are not there any more. Therefore you wouldn’t enjoy any movie as the way you used to. May be you would have watched a Rajani/Kamal movies in your old times 10 or more time with same interest. But not any more. Its not the movie itself (Of course its quality also matter), but also your ‘level of happiness of watching movies and the pleasure you get from it' are much different than what it used to be’

But if you watch a movie(s) for a learning experience it's a different story altogether. That's what I do mostly (Though I don’t understand most of the languages).

Keep in mind 99% of the moviemakers are not really concerned whether their movie has anything to focus on social/cultural or even entertaineent issues. They just want to make money, it’s not their business whether people like it or not. As long as people come and watch they are happy. No matter what good/bad the theme is.

Here is one joke. I don’t know how many of you seen the movie Arjun (Hindi- Sunny Deol and Amirsh Puri). This was a super hit when it released. Two yrs back I was watching the last scene of this movie in a restaurant (CA). In a fighting scene Sunny was chasing Amirsh puri to kill him with a knife, where as A.Puri was having a Gun in his hand and he was running. There were some foreigners were also watching this movie and they didn’t understand why he want to run in spite of having a gun in his hand. You could easily guess who would have won the fight. Similarly I’ve seen one Rajini movie (where he fights with a robbers and a tiger at the same time– don’t remember the movie name though). Of curse he won that too.

Well that’s how mostly movies are made. Does it make any sense? Not for a sensible person, but we will enjoy all these crap as long as our sense won’t work properly. When we are out that shell we react in different way. That’s all about.

mallu --- Some things make more sense than the eye can see, or the vision can perceive. The "Arjun" movie example you pointed out had perfect sense if you try to live the scene. In that scene you mentioned, Amrish Puri was running because all he could see was the anger in Sunny Deol's eye... he couldn't see anything else, and wanted to save himself from the wrath of Sunny Deol.

I wonder what kind of editing you did at FTII ???

:D

Good point...

Most Indian movies are still in fantasy land. Remember that Clint Eastwood movie (one of his Dirty Harry series) where the bus he drives in is riddled with bullet holes yet he is unscathed? The intent is to portray the heroes as superhuman...That's what makes them a hero, you see!
Rajni was categorized as a superstar because of his style and some powerful dialogue writing. I guess most people are disappointed with Baba because it does not contain his usual antics.
Kamal is an entirely different story...He should have stuck to acting and not transgressed into producing and directing the movies. His acting in Nayakan is unsurpassable. I watched Dayavan last weekend and was VERY disappointed with the way Vinod Khanna did his part in the movie. An Amitabh might have done in 1000 times better. But, I was all the while trying to use Kamal's effort as the benchmark.
It is not as if the entire Indian movie industry is coming up with sub-par performance. Manirathnam's Kannathil Muthamittal is a very good example of the quality that remains in Indian movies. The story, picturization, acting etc were exceptional. I didn't think the beaches in southern Tamil Nadu could be made to appear so scenic.

Re: July16

Going by your posting, you probably have no idea of great performances by Rajni. There are my personal favorites (Bhuvana Or Kaelvikkuri, Netrikkann, 6 irundhu 60 varai). These show his calibre. But, of late, Rajni's stopped 'acting', simply because all his fans want is merely his presence on the screen.

IMHO, Rajni does what the people want. Kamal does what he wants. Their roles in the industry are very different.

Some have the silly notion that Kamal fans are mature and Rajni fans are 'low-class'. I seriously disagree. What do you guys think about it?

:)

PS: Thank God no one's jumped to say this is not a place to discuss these things (atleast not yet)

To clear habibi.

You tried to make a point here!!.

If you watched scene-by-scene Amrish was portraying as a villain who can see and do anything to destroy his enemy. He has portrayed as a villain with a vision and succeeded in his all attempts. In this movie upto this scene he was doing that with perfection (as far as his emotions I'm not concerned here). Now all of sudden he become good for nothing and couldn't see anything other than Sunny’s anger and wrath (per your version). How can he see only that?

It would have been better portrayed (forget about the whole story) with Amrish as cowardly villain or at least in the last scene without a gun. Its not only this movie. 999 out 1000 are similar. I just took this as an example.

That's what I said before. It doesn't make sense if you think logically, but people would have enjoyed it as long as the sense won’t work properly. Its not only Indian movies, others language also not far behind. May be in India its more because of the admiration their stars (super) enjoy and therefore moviemakers try to make their hero as a next to perfectionist who can do anything he want, who can never go wrong. But during
these processes 'sense and sensibility' are lost.

Re: Re: July16

Originally posted by ramukv
Going by your posting, you probably have no idea of great performances by Rajni. There are my personal favorites (Bhuvana Or Kaelvikkuri, Netrikkann, 6 irundhu 60 varai). These show his calibre. But, of late, Rajni's stopped 'acting', simply because all his fans want is merely his presence on the screen.

IMHO, Rajni does what the people want. Kamal does what he wants. Their roles in the industry are very different.

Some have the silly notion that Kamal fans are mature and Rajni fans are 'low-class'. I seriously disagree. What do you guys think about it?

PS: Thank God no one's jumped to say this is not a place to discuss these things (atleast not yet)

ramukv

If you read my post it begins with "I dont know much about Tamil Films"

I specifically Named and talked about hindi films.

All the Tamil Films You are brandishing at me, they may be the best of films, but I wouldnt know about it.

And about the viewers being mature or low class I never said anything like that, where did you come up with that Idea:confused:

And of late if Rajni stopped acting for any reason, you cant pin it on Kamal hasan:D :D :D

peace, July 16

I am sorry I did not read read your posting carefully.

The mature/low-class was something that I threw in for a discussion. I never said you said that! I was referring to some people I know that have this opinion, which, I think is silly.

HEYYYYYY Low-class? where did that come from?

You cant call us low-class! lol We are just simple people enjoying the little things in life. :D

In fact Kamal once made a statement that he was going to " civilize his fans" go figure!!