To take US citizenship or not???

Sorry to hijack this thread but this post has a raised a question. My maternal uncle (Mamoo) was working for PIA in New Delhi in the early 1980s. He met and fell in love with an Indian lady. They got married and after his 5 year posting moved back to Pakistan. His wife moved with him and after 20 years of marriage and residence in Pakistan, took up Pakistani citizenship. Is my aunt now considered a traitor in India? Just curious.

The two sentences are not linked. They were two different thoughts.

I meant it as an example in contrasts that invoke an emotion of being different, I could have easily meant US citizen becoming USSR citizen, or a Turkish citizen becoming Greek or an Israeli citizen wanting to become an Saudi citizen.

I do admire your uncle for listening to his heart, but lets not forget that the emotion I described is still being actively pursued by the governments of both countries. Pakistani citizens or anyone with Pakistan connection are still denied PIO, OCI etc. And I am sure it takes longer for an Indian citizen to become a Pakistani citizen than an US citizen.

I hope this puts an end to the issue.

Triple Citizen - I understand your sentiment and note the message of harmony.

TheRealist - Thank you for getting the point.

Nred

I'll add a couplet from the greatest Indian Urdu poet the last 100 years have produced. I apologise in advance for assuming you can understand hindustani (hindi/urdu).

Un ka jo farz hai, wo ehl-e-siyasat janein
Mera paigham mohabat hai, jahan tak pohnchay

---Jigar Muradabadi

Politicians know what their duties are
My message is that of love, where all it reaches

Triple Citizen - I understand your sentiment and note the message of harmony.

Triple Citizen, I have always enjoyed your posts and thoughts to bring in harmony. I have started developing respect for Pakistani people after reading your posts :D Thank you so much for being active in this forum and especially posting positive replies.

I thank you for the compliment. However you should not let one person (me in this case) dictate your opinion with regards to an entire populace. Whether good or bad, one person will never represent a populace. Just something to ponder over!!!

I have started developing respect for Pakistani people after reading your posts :D

Well, as much as what you said is true, I'm glad I have come across at least one person from Pakistan who thinks rationally about Indians and rest of the world. So I'm believing there might be more like you. Until now, unfortunately I never saw good harmony between these 2 religions, forget about Indians and Pakistanis. I really hope this battle ends peacefully one day. God bless and peace be over the world. Thanks

Though US has reach, they rarely would use it for civil cases like divorse/alimony/property related. Heck they don't do that in US when both parties are in US. Do you know how many deadbeat dads are there that do not pay any child support/alimony?

About criminal cases, it is possible that US will try to get you but that is not very easy and unless you are in the FBI's most wanted list or wanted by interpol, they have little incentive to go after you. If you commit crime in US and run to India, there is a chance that you will be in trouble. (Which you will be if you were a US citizen or Indian citizen)

You still have to Pay US taxes wherever you are though. If you show that you paid taxes in the country you reside, you get credit for those making US taxes zero but you still file a 1040 (Unless you make such a low income outside that allows you not to file taxes)

Can you please explain this little bit. If I am going for a longer term(few years), do I still need to file taxes? Where can I find more information about this?

Yes, you need to file taxes every year as a US Citizen no matter where you live. You will also need to report income you earned outside US as Foriegn tax but you can credit for it if you are already paying taxes for it in another country. You will be able to find tax information on irs web site. Here are couple of useful links that I found

Taxes for US citizen working in India:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=435812
http://india.gov.in/citizen/income-tax.php

Yes, you need to file taxes every year as a US Citizen no matter where you live. You will also need to report income you earned outside US as Foriegn tax but you can credit for it if you are already paying taxes for it in another country. You will be able to find tax information on irs web site. Here are couple of useful links that I found

Taxes for US citizen working in India:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=435812
http://india.gov.in/citizen/income-tax.php

Thank you very much, I need this information as I am relocating to India for quite a bit of time.

Thank you very much, I need this information as I am relocating to India for quite a bit of time.

Actually, even as a green-card holder (resident alien), you are supposed to file with IRS no matter where you live.

Please see http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf

Introduction
This publication discusses special tax rules for U.S. citizens and resident aliens who work abroad or who have income earned in foreign countries. As a U.S. citizen or resident alien, your worldwide income generally is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you are living. Also, you are subject to the same income tax filing requirements that apply to U.S. citizens or resident aliens living in the United States.

Wah Janab!!
Kaveeta

I'll add a couplet from the greatest Indian Urdu poet the last 100 years have produced. I apologise in advance for assuming you can understand hindustani (hindi/urdu).

Un ka jo farz hai, wo ehl-e-siyasat janein
Mera paigham mohabat hai, jahan tak pohnchay

---Jigar Muradabadi

Politicians know what their duties are
My message is that of love, where all it reaches

Does anyone know the consequences on the agricultural land you already own once you become a US citizen ?

TIA

If you already own agricultural land before you became US citizen or if you inherit agricultural land even after you acquire US citizenshp, you are OK.

The rule is that a US citizen cannot BUY agricultural land or plantation.