• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

To 'Sushi , vermedve and majanikol"

canonurum

Registered Users (C)
HEllo guys,
I am one of the DV-2006 winner with the number EU34XX who will apply for AOS. I live in Hartford/CT .I read your conversation and you guys scared me so much about the length of process. I am about to file my I-485 forms..medical examination ..etc. Should I file tomorrow or should I wait until November??My number became current according to the November visa Bulletin. But this AOS should be much more convenient and easy because we are already here and passed the basic requirements to enter USA. We will just fill few more forms and that should be it. I thought like this and stayed here for AOS. Otherwise I was gonna graduate end of august and was gonna go back to my country. This thing changed my whole life :(
Guys the thing is I wil graduate in this coming December and if I wil have the same problem like you guys having now, should I start my OPT(optional practical traning) which will give me 1 year work permission in order to keep my F_1 status??? Otherwise I will be out of status after December.Another thing bothers me is if I apply for OPT there will be two different case in the immigration service do you guys that this makes problem??
I saw that one of you guys in NEw Orleans I guess this Hurrican can also cause delay of the process times :(
One of you also in Chicago and I know that there are many immigrants in Chicago which will also cause delay of the process. Bigger state or city more postpone of process I guess.
I need your advice so much guys I feel so upset about these stuff and I am glad that I find somebody to share , to disccus and also listen. I will also keep you guys posted.
Moreover guys I guess I will have the same problem I just saw that my local USCIS does not accept I-485 forms I have to send them to CHicago like u guys did :((((((((
Thank you so much in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Do Not File Before Sept 30 - Your Application Will Be Denied And You Will Have Re-file. You Will Lose A Lot Of Time Just Like I Did.
For Dv-2006, You Can Only File Starting Oct 1st, The First Day Of Fiscal Year 2006!!!!

i don't think you can ever find out anything about the lenght of the process. there are just no rules. don't be too scared by our stories. there are people whose cases went smoothly. try to be optimistic. as far as opt is concerned, i don't think it has to do anything with your dv process. maybe someone more competent can shed some light on this issue.
good luck

Hi Canonorum,

I think being a scared now is just a little warning. It's a game. It is inconvenient to go home and do CP, but the process is much more predictable and less problematic. For doing AOS you don't need to go home, but if you happen to fall into the small (but not very small) group of people who have problems with AOS, then you risk not getting your GC. I think with AOS you buy more convenience at the expense of more risk. I am a very risk averse person when it is about things of great importance. I am absolutely obsessive about the safety of my daughter. Similarly, the GC was very important for me, so I wanted to reduce the risk to a minimum and chose CP first. I only changed to AOS, because I absolutely had to. I was teaching and my status depended on my teaching and I could not leave the country. Everything depends on how risk averse you are.

I really thank to all you guys for their reply. I am still looking for more info. Whenever I find out I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks again for spending your time to write.