To Mexico & Back w/RTD+GC

FebAsylee

Registered Users (C)
I just wanted to share my experience with travelling to Mexico city by air using RTD and GC. Let me start by saying that I did not have a single problem. The only remarkable thing about the whole trip was that the Mexican IO at the Mexico city airport did not seem very familiar with the green RTD and asked if this was a new "document" to which I answered "yes." My pont of departure and entry here in the US was BWI. I was a little apprehensive after reading about some of the experiences of forum members. What my experience shows, I guess, is that how you are treated at a POE depends on how aware the IO is at your POE.

Hope this helps someone out.

All the best in the new year to everyone.

Feb

Godd news for us

FebAsylee said:
I just wanted to share my experience with travelling to Mexico city by air using RTD and GC. Let me start by saying that I did not have a single problem. The only remarkable thing about the whole trip was that the Mexican IO at the Mexico city airport did not seem very familiar with the green RTD and asked if this was a new "document" to which I answered "yes." My pont of departure and entry here in the US was BWI. I was a little apprehensive after reading about some of the experiences of forum members. What my experience shows, I guess, is that how you are treated at a POE depends on how aware the IO is at your POE.

Feb

Thanks Febasylee for sharing your experience with us, is very important at this moment when the "fact sheet" is in the table and grilling our minds.

Travelco
GC holder

Double_V said:
:confused: otherwise, this didn't make any sense!

No, I'm not from Mexico. If you have been following the recent discussions, you would have been aware that issues were raised with travelling with an RTD+GC.

Feb

Recent Discussions????

We discuss so many things here that it is foolish to talk about resent discussions. Just for your Info we are always arguing about returning to COP, what document to use, RTD or NP, an so on, and so on. So the question made by Double_V is perfectly valid.

Thanks for shearing your experience but the BIG question is the other one.
Its my opinion.

I got my GC (AS6) recently. Can i go to Mexico just by using GC only. I plan to stay there for a week maximum. Thanks.

Double_V said:
:confused: otherwise, this didn't make any sense!

At least we know now, there is not yet a warning window pops up on the POE officers computer screen whenever an a-s category card is being swipped.

I was worried about they would start to implant a chip in asylees after issuring the factsheet. :p

FebAsylee said:

Feb

Traveled by car on Christmas 2006. San Diego – Tijuana - Sonora. In Sonora (Mexican INTERstate) border Got visa for my RTD without GC , but Had trouble to get permit for my car. Mexican goverment refused to provide car permit for Refuges and Asylee…it is a LAW!!!Welcome to BAJA...ONLY :mad: !!

Asulym granted NOV/2005
I-485 ND DEC/2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Travel to Mexico

If anyone here has recently or is about to travel to Mexico with a GC and a RTD, or even an RTD alone, I would love to know about your experience. My personal experience has been that the airlines, Mexican officials, and in some cases, even Customs and Border Protection officials are confused about the requirements of the Western Travel Hemisphere Initiative. They keep insisting that everyone must have a passport and not recognizing an RTD in lieu of a passport as they are legally required to. If someone else here has encountered such a problem, I would be grateful if you share your experience with me.

Lexi,

I went to the Mexican consulate here in DC before travelling and was told that I can travel with either RTD or RP + GC. However, as I mentioned at the beginning of this post, the Mexican IO at Mexico City Airport did not appear familliar with my green RTD and examined it thoroughly before allowing me to proceed. So I guess what this means is that how you will get treated there is probably a case of Your Mileage May Vary....

Feb

Lexi said:
If anyone here has recently or is about to travel to Mexico with a GC and a RTD, or even an RTD alone, I would love to know about your experience. My personal experience has been that the airlines, Mexican officials, and in some cases, even Customs and Border Protection officials are confused about the requirements of the Western Travel Hemisphere Initiative. They keep insisting that everyone must have a passport and not recognizing an RTD in lieu of a passport as they are legally required to. If someone else here has encountered such a problem, I would be grateful if you share your experience with me.

i had that problem when coming back from Europe. They said I need a NP..they took my RTD. I wrote them a letter complaining how I was treated and an application for RP+170 fee..they sent me the RP(in 20 days) and also sent back the check to me.

Feb,

I am glad everything worked out for you. I chickened out and cancelled my trip because I couldn't get a straight answer from the Consulate. I was recently scheduled to go on a trip to Cancun, Mexico. I am a LPR now, but since I received my LPR status as a direct result of having received asylum in the United States, I applied for a Refugee Travel Document. In preparation for my trip, I contacted the airline’s international travel department and spoke with several customer relations representatives and two supervisors, all of whom told me that there is nothing in their system indicating that a Refugee Travel Document can be used in lieu of a national passport for travel to Mexico. I learned that the software the airlines use is called “timatics” and is owned by a company in Netherlands. The software does not seem to provide an option for people who are currently in refugee and/or asylee status, or those who were once refugees and/or asylees but are now LPR’s. It does have an option for “stateless” individuals, but that option technically (or legally) doesn’t apply to refugees and asylees. If you put stateless, it says a visa required (it's called an FMT visa), but if you have a Green Card, Mexico should let you in. That's why I say the stateless option is inapplicable. Since I couldn't get a straight answer from the Mexican Consulate, I ended up cancelling my trip because I didn’t want to risk being denied entry into Mexico or worse, risk not being able to return to the Untied States. For those of you who are traveling there, I think your safest bet is to have a letter from the Mexican Consulate stating that no Visa is required and that the Mexican government accepts a RTD in place of a national passport.

Lexi said:
I crossed US border for first time after 4 years with RTD /without GC few weeks ago by car (San Diego - Tijuana). When returned the immigration officer gently keep asking how much I paid for new RTD (When I said 160 or may be 180 USD? He ask me how long I been in Mexico…Where? Why? Then asked again how much I paid for RTD? And requested to check my car, the second officer checked trunk with a dog, then asked again about RTD…(() He spent 3 time more times with me than for 4 Mexican with work visa. Third border officer, who stamped my RTD was so upset. He said: “I can not understand why asylee travels overseas…you asked for protection then leave”
….I was speechless. I did remember the movie “Airport” with Tom Hanks…

Finally they let us go, I was quiet relief but such of humiliation! I’m still thinking! How rude and cruel are this immigration stuff and what a mess with this RTD!

In my understanding Border Officer, Judge, Prosecutor, play the role Angel and Devil in on face. Asylees have NONE rights, not dignity nor respect especially in Border.
A legal limbo for such status, what a pity!
By the way Mexico doesn’t not allow refugees or asylees to enter the country by car
(No far from the border area ( Tijuana, Mexicali). They said you can enter but not your car; meaning jump but without parachute.

I do have few questions:

1. Anybody knows about IRS certificate? Aliens should not live US without it. :confused:

hunter145 said:
I crossed US border for first time after 4 years with RTD /without GC few weeks ago by car (San Diego - Tijuana). When returned the immigration officer gently keep asking how much I paid for new RTD (When I said 160 or may be 180 USD? He ask me how long I been in Mexico…Where? Why? Then asked again how much I paid for RTD? And requested to check my car, the second officer checked trunk with a dog, then asked again about RTD…(() He spent 3 time more times with me than for 4 Mexican with work visa. Third border officer, who stamped my RTD was so upset. He said: “I can not understand why asylee travels overseas…you asked for protection then leave”
….I was speechless. I did remember the movie “Airport” with Tom Hanks…

Finally they let us go, I was quiet relief but such of humiliation! I’m still thinking! How rude and cruel are this immigration stuff and what a mess with this RTD!

In my understanding Border Officer, Judge, Prosecutor, play the role Angel and Devil in on face. Asylees have NONE rights, not dignity nor respect especially in Border.
A legal limbo for such status, what a pity!
By the way Mexico doesn’t not allow refugees or asylees to enter the country by car
(No far from the border area ( Tijuana, Mexicali). They said you can enter but not your car; meaning jump but without parachute.

I do have few questions:

1. Anybody knows about IRS certificate? Aliens should not live US without it. :confused:

Time and again, you will find officers who have no clue what they are doing. The thing is you just need to be patient. Just think like this, you haven't done anything wrong, your paperwork is in order and you are in legal law boundaries as to traveling...

So just grin and bare it.

Anybody had experience when traveling to Mexico with RP + GC ( no NP ), or GC only ?

How about boarding cruise then having short stop in Jamaica, Cancun ( Mexico ), Bahamas, or other Carribean countries/territories ?