to marry, or not to marry prior to being a USC

ateganda29

Registered Users (C)
gmorning guys!

as my title says it, is it better to get married before being a USC (after applying for US citizenship and just waiting for the application to be processed) or after one becomes a USC (after taking the oath to be a naturalized US citizen)?

my question is not for the purpose of filing for AOS for one's spouse. because i know for most cases, it's better to file AOS for the spouse when one is a USC because it's faster. my question is for the purpose of making the process simpler and faster. because i applied for my US citizenship and specified that i am single -- because i still am. now if i get married before my citizenship is processed, on my interview, i will have to let them know that i've married since my application. now, it might prolong my being a USC because they may ask me if i want to change my name or since it's a status change, it might complicate things, etc.

any thoughts on this subject is welcome :)

ateganda29 said:
gmorning guys!

as my title says it, is it better to get married before being a USC (after applying for US citizenship and just waiting for the application to be processed) or after one becomes a USC (after taking the oath to be a naturalized US citizen)?

my question is not for the purpose of filing for AOS for one's spouse. because i know for most cases, it's better to file AOS for the spouse when one is a USC because it's faster. my question is for the purpose of making the process simpler and faster. because i applied for my US citizenship and specified that i am single -- because i still am. now if i get married before my citizenship is processed, on my interview, i will have to let them know that i've married since my application. now, it might prolong my being a USC because they may ask me if i want to change my name or since it's a status change, it might complicate things, etc.

any thoughts on this subject is welcome :)

If you want to get married, get married. You can always change the status to married during the interview if needed.

As long as you spouse maintains a separate status, it does not matter when you get married.

if you get married, you don't have to change name unless you want to.

If you do get married, you will have to show your marriage certificate at interview and your naturalization certificate will show "Married"

What if the spouse-to-be is an illegal alien?...if you say you're married during the interview, the status of the spouse will be asked...

what if the would-be spouse has a valid F-1 but fell out of status prior to marriage. when is it better to marry, before or after i become a US citizen?

anyone else have an input on this? will be much appreciated. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, it would be better to wait until after you become a citizen to get married. (Which hopefully, won't be long!) That way, you won't have to mention your fiance. After citizenship, you can marry and apply for AOS, and the fact that he/she fell out of status would be forgiven as spouse of an American citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
It actually doesn't matter all that much.
They won't deny citizenship if you are married to somebody who is illegal. It is your application, not the one of your spouse.
true, but when thinking about the sake of both spouse, it's better to apply after citizenship, as application N-400 will be smooth, and spouse could be forgiven being out of status and applying for AOS is easy.
I had that same experience.
SoNy