To Hire a lawyer, or DIY

Addie_Goodvibes

Registered Users (C)
A lot of us on here have probably wondered if Hiring a lawyer is neccesary for most I-130/I-485 cases. & maybe doubtful as to the process of filing these forms, which forms to file ect. My Wife & I were waiting to save enough $ to hire a Lawyer, then started researching the process. It is actual not that complicated. As long as you read all instructions and submit the correct documentation. There are some exceptions and only an attorney can let you know about your indiv. case.

I have attached some forms and processes that helped me with my case.

Recently the USCIS has made it even easier by not requiring notorized copies or originals in Appl. submissions. only at the interview.
All the forms and govt. lingo can be confusing and intimidating!

That is what took my wife & I so long to file was the expense the lawyers wanted to charge, we were quoted anywhere from 2500. + filing fees to 3000+ fees, we felt that was a bit high so we did it our self! of course we consulted a lawyer before filing the forms. Not done yet but hopeful. :cool:

Below is our total costs to date:

$765.00- USCIS Fees ( I-130,I-485, I-765, & Biometrics fee $70.00
$110.00 medical for I-485 wife preg waived 1 immunization
$24.00 Passport photos: we went to Kinkos they are within USCIS specs.
$100.00 Misc. Admin fees (cert. copy of USC Birth Cert, offical copy of her BC notary of I-864, passport name change for immigrant wife, FEDEx.)
$0.0 Printing/ Copy fees: I am lucky enough to work where I can make lots of Copies so I copied everything in triple :D
Total to date: Aprox. $1000.00 :eek:

I think it is worth a couple bills to have an attorney look over what you have filed to be sure everything is in order, but to pay more than *$3000.00 total is ridiculous! *Including USCIS filing fees (aprox $765.00 for USC and 1 alien spouse residng in USA) **there are some exceptions and only an attorney can let you know about your indiv. case.

With a little research,reading, patience & of course help from indivs. like you all :D ; the process is not that scary and can be done! Presentation and organization go a long way as the USCIS web site reflects.
Recently the USCIS has made it even easier by not requiring notorized copies or originals in Appl. submissions. only at the interview.

General Tips on Preparing forms to be mailed to USCIS
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm#H

You all helped us feel confident about the process.

Thank you,
Addie, Ako, & Airilei

Last edited by a moderator:
Lawyersare usually recommended for people who have been out of status or have some issues that requires technical or special knowledge of the INS procedure.

If you case is simple and you been the poster boy of INS I dont think you need a lawyer, but it depends on your comfort level, as a lot of people here have done it by themselves and got their stuff in time and some have lawyers are are in a mess for one reason or the other.

Yea, we did it our self and I feel that was the right way to go. It took a little long for up to send it in, but I work two jobs so I am not home that much durring the week.
When we talked to a lawyer he wanted $200 just to come in a have that Initial Consultation, then stated that it would be $2500 or more from there.

We though about it and after talking and asking questions on this board, we did it our self.

One more reason why hiring an attorney is not neccesarily the best option

One more reason why hiring an attorney is not neccesarily the best option IMO ( In My Opinion):

Think of how many cases an immigration Attorney handles in a day/ week,
when your case is filed a great deal of responses by what I have been told. Are sent to your Attorney not you ( incuding RFE's NOA 's) and if your attorney's office sits on them for a day or even a week sometimes it can delay your processing time.

However, when doing it yourself everything goes directly to your address of record, so you get any RFE's or your NOA's receipt number soon after they are postmarked without having to wait for Attorney to follow up with you, this can help a lot with Biometirc notices, or Appt. notifications, RFE's. I can't imagine that in the terrible event that the USCIS sends a Request for Evidence or Additional info and it sits in a law office for 30 days :eek: It would be best to get that notice as soon as possible and act on it with urgency to ensure your case goes smoothly in a timely manner.

Is personal check acceptable?

May I ask you what type of payment method CIS accept? money order or personal check? or cashier check?

thanks very much.
good luck on your case

Hi,
Having a lawyer can have peace of mind going into the process. I just got my conditional permanent residency today, and though my lawyer wasn't always available to me (we play phone tags), having him around definitely allow my wife and I to sleep sound at night.

I was fortunate to find a lawyer that was charging way below the market asking price for his service, the total fee he charged me was only 3 figures.

I would recommend you going to AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) to ask them to refer you to a member. If you decide to retain a lawyer, be sure he/she is a member of AILA.

Good luck.

angelene said:
May I ask you what type of payment method CIS accept? money order or personal check? or cashier check?

According to the USCIS web page:

"Acceptable forms of payment may vary by office; to learn which forms of payment are accepted consult the "Paying Fees" section of your local service center."

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm

It is best to write a personal check if you have a checking account.
That way the canceled Check is additional evidence of record for your case,
be sure to include on your payment the forms filed towards and full name of applicant and spouse or sponsor, then make a photo copy of that check!

Good luck

Thanks

Addie:

Thanks very much:

One more question, I am preparing the package. Did you mail all the forms to Chicago, including 485, 130, 131, 765, 864, and 325A for both persons? Do we need separate check for each form or just give one check including all the fees? DId you mail the physical medical check 963 form together also? someone suggest me to put everything together.

I am doing documents myself, your suggesion is very helpful.

Thanks

angelene said:
Addie:

Did you mail all the forms to Chicago, including 485, 130, 131, 765, 864, and 325A for both persons? Do we need separate check for each form or just give one check including all the fees? DId you mail the physical medical check 963 form together also? someone suggest me to put everything together.

I am doing documents myself, your suggesion is very helpful.

Thanks

(see my attachments in this message) I have included a sample cover letter and most of what you need ( based on my expereince)as well as an estimate of the cost break down.

File & Mail them all togther in the same package Use FedEx or return receipt Attach a seperate check for each:
USC will file:
I-130-$190.00 + G325A
I-864- Affidavit of support
Alien relative will submit the following:
I-485 $395.00 includes Biometircs fee + G325A I-693
I-765 $180.00
I-693- Medical exam sealed!

For the Medical I-693 you will need to go to A USCIS Approved civil surgeon they will do the medical for you. You will pay the the Doctor for the medical, it will cost from 150.00-325.00 shop around for good price.
The Doctor will return completed medical to you in a SEALED envelope, you will file the sealed I-693 with your I-485 package.

The G-325 A should be filed in quadruplet for both you & your spouse.
Go to http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm for everything.

Be sure to consult an attorney prior to sending your package. Your case may have different requirements. I am A USC filing on behalf of My Japanese wife who entered USA legally but is currently out of status.

Good luck

If you really feel like talking to a lawyer most of them give 1-hour consultations for a fee of like $100. We did that with my husband and then we were going to hire another lawyer and he told us that he's used to treating with people that might be deported, that our case was really easy and that we shouldn't need his services. I agree, if you do enough research and read the instructions you should be fine.

Addie_Goodvibes said:
One more reason why hiring an attorney is not neccesarily the best option IMO ( In My Opinion):

Think of how many cases an immigration Attorney handles in a day/ week,
when your case is filed a great deal of responses by what I have been told. Are sent to your Attorney not you ( incuding NOA 's) and if your attorney's office sits on them for a day or even a week sometimes it can delay your processing time.

However, when doing it yourself everything goes directly to your address of record, so you get your NOA's receipt number son after they are postmarked without having to wait for Attorney to follow up with you, this can help a lot with Biometirc notices, or Appt. notifications. I can't imagine that in the terrible event that the USCIS sends and inquiry for Additional evidence and it sits in a law office for days, that it would be good to get that notice as soon as possible and act on it with urgency to ensure your case goes smoothly in a timely manner.

From what i read in this forum, the know-it-all-half-knowledged attorneys are the major cause of creating complications in their clients' cases which end in denials or deportations. It definitely pays to do reasearch and pick a good immigration lawyer (especially if the case is already complicated) AND to search and learn online to make sure the attorney is not dishing out bullshit to you. A lot of people who are ignorant of the immigration procedures heavily rely on the attorney and if the attorney is bad, then god bless them.

payala said:
If you really feel like talking to a lawyer most of them give 1-hour consultations for a fee of like $100. We did that with my husband and then we were going to hire another lawyer and he told us that he's used to treating with people that might be deported, that our case was really easy and that we shouldn't need his services. I agree, if you do enough research and read the instructions you should be fine.

Thats true. Even before spending money, one can go to Pro-bono lawyers who give 20 mins of free advice.

Ari excellent points, I little time taken in research goes a long way in saving time and $ btw I received my I-485 NOA today it was posted on 6/23 arrived more than 10 days after my NOA for 130 & 765

Incidnetly I di everything myself & to date spent about $1000.00
compared to what an attorney would charge upwards of 1500.00 not includng the USCIS Filing fees.

Addie_Goodvibes said:
Ari excellent points, I little time taken in research goes a long way in saving time and $ btw I received my I-485 NOA today it was posted on 6/23 arrived more than 10 days after my NOA for 130 & 765

Incidnetly I di everything myself & to date spent about $1000.00
compared to what an attorney would charge upwards of 1500.00 not includng the USCIS Filing fees.

This forum helped me a lot and i learnt much from here. I never went to an immigration lawyer, but i have consulted a couple of labor lawyers regarding non-compete clauses in the contract agreement i signed.