To get PCC

cannon576

Registered Users (C)
DO you need to have a valid VISA in your passport to apply for PCC? When my wife enquired in the Chennai Passport Office thats what they told her. I am not sure if they made this up to get money?
I got mine from the Indian Consulate in Houston but may need to apply again as I might cross 6 months validity of the PCC. I need a PCC for my wife from India as she would have been staying for less than 6 months in USA when we go for the interview

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Need information about PCC

Hai,

I got my PCC on March 2003 from Indian Consulate chicago.
I am expecting the Immigration Visa at chennai aroound November 2003. Do i need to get the pcc again ? Thanks in advance

Re: Need information about PCC

Originally posted by jayaramsubbian
Hai,

I got my PCC on March 2003 from Indian Consulate chicago.
I am expecting the Immigration Visa at chennai aroound November 2003. Do i need to get the pcc again ? Thanks in advance

PCC can be a max of 6 months old on the day of the CP interview. period.

Please get a new PCC to avoid last minute anxiety.

Thanks.

6 months validity is true. I have re-applied for PCC since I received my 1st pcc on 12/17/02 and was nuder the impression that it is valid for 1 year but a month back i was told by my lawyer that is valid for 6 months only.

krish

Any answer for my question:
when u apply for PCC in india, do you need to have a valid visa in your passport?

I am not sure if one needs a valid visa since PCC is about criminal record in India so should have nothing to do with US visa - this is what I think. But at the same time, miscellaneous form that one needs to fuill out for PCC instructs to include a valid visa.

If visa is not stamped in the passport then notarized photcopy of H-1B approval is accepted. This is what i have done. H-1B stamp in passport has expired so along with passport, I have mailed copies of H-1B extension papers which are notarized.

Krish

pcc - local police station

Guys,

Thanks for your prompt answer. I have two other questions.......
1. I came to us on Nov 2000. before coming here i worked in chennai( 2 years)
as well as bangalore (2 years). Do i need to get pcc from local police station
(both chennai and bangalore).

2. How long does it take to get the pcc when i re-apply the pcc (Indian consulate general)
(previous one i got it on Dec 2002)

Thanks
Jayaram subbian

Re: pcc - local police station

Originally posted by jayaramsubbian
Guys,

Thanks for your prompt answer. I have two other questions.......
1. I came to us on Nov 2000. before coming here i worked in chennai( 2 years)
as well as bangalore (2 years). Do i need to get pcc from local police station
(both chennai and bangalore).

No you don't need PCC from Bangalore or Chennai. PCC from Indian COnsualte in US will be enough.

2. How long does it take to get the pcc when i re-apply the pcc (Indian consulate general)
(previous one i got it on Dec 2002)

It about 35 to 40 working days to get the PCC from Indian Consulate in US.

Thanks
Jayaram subbian

Question regarding PCC in Chennai

Cannon576,

My wife is still in India and she would be joining me only after the GC interview (scheduled for this JULY). She has never been to US before. So, PCC from Indian Consulate is ruled out for her.

She has already got her PCC stamped from the Passport office.

She needs to get her 2nd PCC from the Local Police Station. Could you enlighten me on the process? Guess your wife had to get one. Right?

Btw, I believe your interview has been done successfully.

Your help is very much appreicated.

Cheers,
Ganesh.

Based on the people from this forum, it would be from the commissioner's office (signed by Asst. Commissioner, i believe). But the requirements from US consulate states that you need to get it from local police station (local could mean your area or your district, it is not clear). You can find samples if you search the forum.
My wife will be renewing her passport in couple of months; so she would only need PCC from passport office.
good luck

RE:Question regarding PCC in Chennai

Hi Ganesh!
I don't think the local police station gives a PCC. I wrote to the consulate and they said i have to get it from the dist. HQ.
I think, If you are in Chennai city limits you should apply at the Comm. Office. Check with your local police station.

- Written request for PCC, stating purpose and country.
- Photocopy of Passport
- 3 photos.
- Proof of residence(ration card)
- DOB proof(school cert.).
- take copy and originals.
- I also included the text from the chennai consulate site FAQ stating that a PCC is required. (I guess any doument showing need for PCC)
- Get 2 reference letters from neighbours and all of above, for the local police station.

Go to the passport or foreigner's registration section. They will guide you.

I got mine from the Chennai-East HQ in St. Thomas Mount. SP and staff are very helpful but understaffed(3). They also handle the Passport office request and the foreigners registration stuff. So need lots of patience. They gave me the PCC(needs SP's sign) on a Saturday, even though Saturdays are non-working day. Didn't ask/take any money.
The best govt. office experience i've ever had.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by kdivekar
...But at the same time, miscellaneous form that one needs to fuill out for PCC instructs to include a valid visa.
There is only a checkbox question asking if there is a valid visa in the passport.
I have applied for a PCC, i was not asked for a valid visa.
Maybe, you could provide info from the US consulate website to substantiate your need for a PCC.

Also remember, at chennai. If there is an existing police report on file you get the PCC from the passport office in 1 hour.
If not, they have to go thru the whole process of requesting a police report and they don't give any timeline. The passport remains with them for all that time. You can find out if a police report exists, from the enquiry counter at the ground floor.

Multiple PCC?

I have a question about multiple PCC.
My permanent residence is in Chennai suburb. I've been working in Bangalore for 2+ years. I don't have any proof of residence in Bangalore, except the empoyer's letter.

Do i need a PCC from Bangalore?

I have not know anybody taking police certificate other than their place of residence in India. (For E.g. I have lived in Banaglore, Trichy, Madras for over a year or more). I am not going to take pcc from each of these places. I just got one from Indian Consulate and from most people's past experience that is enough.

So, I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

Even if you are in India, one PCC from Passport office and the other one from the place where you permanently live should be enough I guess.

Experienced CPers any thought on this?

Cheers,
Ganesh.

from Chennai Consulate IV FAQ:
---applicants over age 16 whose passports were issued more than six months previous to visa application must also obtain a police clearance from the district police office serving the applicant’s place of residence.

Sounds like pcc for current residence only??

Originally posted by cannon576
---applicants over age 16 whose passports were issued more than six months previous to visa application must also obtain a police clearance from the district police office serving the applicant’s place of residence.

This is for applicants who are in India or other part of the world. CP applicants from US need only one PCC issued by the INdian Consualte in US.

Thanks.

Originally posted by cannon576

If you are currently living in US the PCC you carry from the
Indian Consulate ( Embassy ) is the only one you need.

The instructions from the Consulates are confusing because they
are meant to address all scenarios. Maybe in future they would
come out with clear versions.

Raju

Multiple PCC

Hi All,
Thanks for your responses.
I wrote to the consulate about multiple PCC and they responded with the standard document.
My situation is different:
I'm currently living in India.
My permanent address is in Chennai.
I'm working in Bangalore(>1year) and so have a residence there too.
Do i have to get PCC from Chennai and also from Bangalore?

On all govt docs, ration card, tax, passport the address is my permanent address.
Only proof-of-address in Bangalore is employer's letter(a pvt firm). The police does not acccept this as proof of residence. So, i don't think i can get a PCC from Bangalore. Any ideas??

Thanks!

chencp2003,

If I am you I would get a PCC from the place of residence (which is mentioned in the Ration Card).

The logic I follow here is:

If you had lived in any other country outside of India, let's say UGANDA for instance, you get a PCC from place where you resided (most or last) and not from every state/province in which you lived in UGANDA for more than a period of 6 months.

Again, this is my logic. Going by that, one police certificate should be enough.

The worst case scenario:
The officer at the US Embassy 'DOES NOT HAVE DISCRETIONARY' powers to reject your immigration outright. All he could do is say that you need to get a PCC from Bangalore. Since you are working in india, it makes things really simple. You just go talk to SP of the Banglore region, explain your situation and get a PCC and come back to the Consulate and get your I.V. stamped.

BTW, have you got your PCC from Chennai? If so, where did you get it from. (I need it for my wife). Also could I ask you where your permanent residence is? (Just to decipher which Commissioner's office's jurisdiction your residence falls under!). My wife had approached the Commissioner's office at Marina Beach and they told that PCC will be issued only at the local police station and she had gone to her PURASIVAKKAM police station and got it signed by the police inspector. I don't know whether that's acceptable.

Does anybody know as to who the authorized signatory for the PCC? (is it SP and above or anybody authorized person from the PD could sign?)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ganesh.