To file AC21 or not?

npnjan02

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I would appreciate your comment and help with this.

I am changing employers this month, and I was wondering if I need to/should notify CIS by filing AC21 letter.

My case got transferred to Chicago in the beginning of Dec 2004. My current company filed for Chapter 11 (Bankruptcy), and I have a promising offer that I don't want to miss, especially now when an interview is coming.

So, again, what are the advantages/disadvantages in filing AC21, especially when your case is transferred to local.

Advantages:

1) USCIS won't send an RFE to your old company.
2) After you get GC, you don't have to stick around the old company to avoid fraud charges (USCIS might not know that the company filed for Ch11).
3)

Disadvantages;
1) USCIS might send an RFE to your old company. If not responded properly, application will be revoked.
2) Ability to pay. How can the company pay if they file for chapter 11.

Since the case is transferred to Chicago I doubt that they would send any RFE at all. But yes, I have to get the new job, and not miss this opportunity.

It boils down to whether they do their checks before the interview (after I send them the AC21 letter) or after when I present them with that letter. If indeed they need to check credentials.