To DOS (urgent)

rathi42

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I have applied online for my case number (for waiver) and have send the documents to St. Louis along with the application fees and the system shows they recieved the documents. After I applied for case number my J1 got extended and I got a new DS2019 and this new DS2019 was not included in the documents I sent to St. Louis for case number.
I have not yet submitted my NORI to Indian Embassy.

My questions are:
1. What should I do now to send this new DS2019 and where I should submit this document?

2. Or, will I have to submit a new DS3035 form for my waiver?

3. Will I have to again send the application fee?

Please if anybody could help me.

Thanks

I assume that
1- You applied for this extension BEFORE you applied for the waiver?
2- the date you submitted your online waiver application, and the date you sent your application, are both BEFORE the issue date of your new DS-2019?

If both of these are true (you applied for the extension before you applied for the waiver, but you received the new DS-2019 after you submitted your application), then you can consider sending a copy of this new form, with a short note *and your case number on both*, explaining that you had not yet gotten this DS-2019 when you applied even though you had requested the extension previously. Send this to the DOS address in Washington and not St. Louis, and remember to write your case number on the envelope outside as well.

If the above is not true, and you applied for the extension after you applied for a waiver, then you may have put yourself in a risky position, and I personally do not know what to advise at this point. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your reply and nice advice.

The detail story is this, I applied for waiver online on 31st OCt 2006, got case number and submitted all suporting document with fee at St Louis on Nov3, 2006. On the second week of Nov 2006 I got information from the IES, of my unversity that all J1 visa has been extended for 5 year, and they already put extension of my SEVIS on system that time. On Nov 21, 2006, I recieved my new DS-2019 and the same day my case no. showed (Online)received all documents and fee, status: pending.

In this situation should I send them new DS-2019 as you suggest above or I should just process my waiver application using the old DS-2019.
I will appreciate your advice after knowing detail of case.

So I think my extension was applied after getting the case number.

Thanks a lot.

Since you did not actually apply for the extension and it was automatic, I don't think it would hurt to send it to the Washington office. I honestly don't know if there will be any repercussions if you do not sent it in, but if you want to be on the safe side, make a copy of it, write your case number on the top of the copy, and then put a sticky note on it saying "J-1 status was automatically extended by institution for all scholars, this is a new DS-2019 issued to me as a result on (date)". Make sure you put the case number on the outside of the envelope as well.

However, please wait for the advice of at least 1-2 other people on this forum, as they may know something I don't.

Quick answers.

You do not need to do any thing.

But if you wish, like the other post stated, you can ammend your case and send your new DS form.

That is it.

rathi42 said:
Dear all,

I have applied online for my case number (for waiver) and have send the documents to St. Louis along with the application fees and the system shows they recieved the documents. After I applied for case number my J1 got extended and I got a new DS2019 and this new DS2019 was not included in the documents I sent to St. Louis for case number.
I have not yet submitted my NORI to Indian Embassy.

My questions are:
1. What should I do now to send this new DS2019 and where I should submit this document?

2. Or, will I have to submit a new DS3035 form for my waiver?

3. Will I have to again send the application fee?

Please if anybody could help me.

Thanks

Thank you all very much for the information I have received from you. I will wait for some more suggestions and than I will proceed.

I appreciate all the support I have got from you all.

There will be no more suggestions...You got plenty of replies...So consider one of the advices and move on.

Just send the new DS (case number on DS copy-top part, and on envelope-Lower right corner).

rathi42 said:
Thank you all very much for the information I have received from you. I will wait for some more suggestions and than I will proceed.

I appreciate all the support I have got from you all.

Approved waiver: status of J-1 VISA?

Hi All,

Thank you all for the expert suggestions and help.
Just before asking my question I just wanted to brief you all with my situation.

I am here on J-1 Visa and my DS2019 will expire on Oct 2007. So I started my waiver process.
I had applied online for my case number (for waiver) and send the documents to St. Louis along with the application fees. After I applied for case number my J1 got extended (by my University) and I got a new DS2019 and this new DS2019 (valid upto December 2008) was not included in the documents I sent to St. Louis for case number.

Than as suggested on this forum I sent my new DS2019 to DOS (Washington D.C., which they received on 26 Dec, 2006) along with the note that my J-1 was extended automatically by the university.

These are my case details:
Recommendation: Sent January 18, 2007
No Objection Statement: Received, January 04, 2007
Fee: Received, November 21, 2006
Form DS-3035: Received, November 21, 2006
Form DS-2019: Received, November 21, 2006
Passport Data Page: Received, November 21, 2006
Letter of Representation: Received, November 21, 2006
Statement Of Reason: Received, November 21, 2006

Now I have got the form I-797 (Notice of Action, Notice date: Jan 24, 2007 ) and it say approved. So I guess my waiver is approved.

My dilemma is that I have no idea my waiver is approved on the basis of which DS2019. The one valid for Oct 2007 or by the one valid for Dec 2008. I do not know what to do. When to start for my H1-B Visa.

Please give me some advise to what I should do in this situation. From where I can get the information regarding the validity of my J-1 VISA status.

Thanking you all in advance.

You can continue to be a J-1 until the date on your latest DS-2019. Also, the date your DS-2019 was issued precedes the date of your recommendation, which is 1/18/07. This means that you should be safe until Dec 2008. However, it doesn't mean that you have to wait until then for H-1B. If you plan to work at the university with H-1B, you can convert at any time. There is no H-1B cap in this case.

By the way, did you get only one notice of action from USCIS? Or did you get two (a receipt, followed by the approval)??
My Recommendation was sent by DOS on 1/24/07 and I have not gotten anything from USCIS at all.

Hi,
Thanks for the response.

I got only one letter from USCIS , Vermont (I-797, Notice of Action). I got my DOS recommendation after I got I-797.

Is this the final document (I-797) or will I receive any other document from USCIS.

Thanks

What people usually receive first is the "receipt" for your J-1 waiver application. What happens is that, once the DOS issues its recommendation, it forwards it (along with the DS-3035, your statement of reason, and your other materials) to the USCIS, as you know. The USCIS now considers this a complete application for a J-1 waiver, and sends you a receipt that it has received the application. The way that you can tell is, if you look at the bigger box on the right where it states "Notice Type", it will tell you. If it says "Approval", that means you have gotten the final approval for the "Case Type" stated on the smaller right box on the very top. If it says "Receipt Notice", that means that there will be another letter coming later (few weeks) with the final decision.

You're lucky. It's been a month since DOS sent their recommendation and I haven't heard anything at all from USCIS, receipt or approval.

Hi,

Thank you so much. I wish you will get it very soon. May be it depends on centre to centre and the vermont centre happens to be fast.

My USICS document says Notice type: Approval Notice. I guess that means I have got the waiver.

I had an another question. Does this waiver certificate has any date of expiry or I can use it anytime? Actually I wanted to use one more year of my J-1.

I wish you good luck and thank you very much for all the help and support. This forum has really been very helful.

"Approval Notice" means congratulations are in order. You have officially obtained your J-1 waiver.

There is no "expiration" on this type of notice. You just keep it for your records and definitely send a copy of it with any adjustment application you file (whether its H-1B or green card). You can apply 10 or 20 years from now, it won't matter as long as you have this notice with you and you send a copy of it (so don't lose it!). In the meantime, you will be able to continue your J-1 program until the date on your latest DS-2019 but, as you know, you cannot extend it any longer.

Thanks for your good wishes. It's been a really stressful time for me too, but, it's like anything else. :)