To all from India with U.S. citizen kids

sk2002sk

Registered Users (C)
To all from India with U.S. citizen kids:

Hi Guys,

This may not be the right forum to ask this question, but did not know where else to ask (its urgent). Sorry in advance.

I am planning to apply for the PIO card [Person Of Indian Origin card] for my son at Indian Consulate, New York BY MAIL. How long does it take to receive the PIO card back? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks a lot,
SK

I also have a US Citizen kid, and want to know more about PIO; is this the process to get the Indian citizenship?

About PIO

Guys,
You can either print a form from the consulate website, fill in all the information. Send photocopies of american passport, birth certificate of the child. 6 passport pictures also to be included. Make sure you put the thumb impression of the child on the document. Send it to the consulate through registered mail and a check for the return of documents. If everything goes well, you will have the document within 2 weeks. Alternatively, you can carry all the relevant documents early in the morning and get the PIO by end of the day. I would recommend doing the latter. Make sure you DO NOT send or give any of the originals to the consulate.

Does dual citizenship help?

Is it possible that dual citizenship help for this? I know india had passed this law. Is this real or still on paper?

Dual citizenship is still on paper. So you need to wait for that.

Applying for PIO card is easy. Just follow the instructions published on Indian Consulate's website

http://www.indiacgny.org/pioinst.html

You can fill the forms online (pdf forms) and print them. You can also print blank forms and fill them with pen.

I applied for my son's PIO card personally at Indian Consulate in NY. I submitted all the photocopies and showed the originals for verification. I requested to send the PIO card by mail and they charged $15 extra and said it will take about a week and half. To my surprise, the PIO card arrived in just 2 days.

The staff at consulate is very helpful and efficient. Overall it is a nice and smooth experience for me at Indian consulate.

If you will mail the complete form, the PIO will be issued and delievered in less than 7 days. I did it last week for my son.

I think Dual Citi. does not help

KIDS are US citizens, Dual Citi. is not for them. It is for Us when we take the US citi., our Indian Citi. does not get canceled.

Passport notarization

I have some questions with respect to Passport notarization:

1. For the kid's U.S. Passport, what all pages are to be notorized? because only page 1 and 2 has some information, everything else is blank.

2. Who signs the kid's passport... its written there "Not valid until signed by passport holder"? Can we just leave it blank since the kid is so small...? Do we need to do it before sending for PIO card?

3. Can we get it attested as "True Copy" for every page needed, from an attorney, instead of notary?

SK

Re: Passport notarization

Originally posted by sk2002sk
I have some questions with respect to Passport notarization:

1. For the kid's U.S. Passport, what all pages are to be notorized? because only page 1 and 2 has some information, everything else is blank.

I did only the page that has the child's photo.

2. Who signs the kid's passport... its written there "Not valid until signed by passport holder"? Can we just leave it blank since the kid is so small...? Do we need to do it before sending for PIO card?
I signed in pencil and wrote parent -all in pencil

3. Can we get it attested as "True Copy" for every page needed, from an attorney, instead of notary?
Notarization is need

Question 14...

In question 14. on the New York PIO card form:

14. Whether the applicant or either of his/her parents or any of his/her grandparents or great grandparents was born and was
permanent resident in territories falling in present day India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, as on the date of the notification of the
Scheme, i.e. 30.3.1999, if so, the following details may be indicated:

In 1999 I was in U.S. So should I write my and my wife's details? Or grandparents? The space is not enough there... in general what is this supposed to be? What did you guys right?

Any help is greatly appreciated...
SK

Received PIo card

Just thought I would let you know that I got my son's PIO card in 8 working days from New York Consulate. They are pretty good with their service.

Thanks to all who gave their inputs for my original post.

Re: I think Dual Citi. does not help

Indian Citizenship laws (and many of the citizenship laws) also have a provision that "if the parents are citizens, the kid also gets the citizenship", so the kids can get Indian citizenship.

Originally posted by GCWORLD
KIDS are US citizens, Dual Citi. is not for them. It is for Us when we take the US citi., our Indian Citi. does not get canceled.

What are the benefits of having PIO card?

Is there a provision to have dual citizenship for a newly born baby in the US with Indian parents?

Originally posted by whats_in_name
What are the benefits of having PIO card?

Having PIO card your kid can hold properties/account(s) in India. I guess it is somewhat similar to GC. The PIO card is valid for 15 years so no need to spend $120/- or whatever renewal fee for every 5 years.

Benefits

What are the true benefits of PIO for a child born in US except for no requirement for INDIA VISA when visiting India?

Originally posted by whats_in_name
If IPO is like GC then does a person with IPO card need to get visa to visit to India?
If you have PIO card with you, you don't need any additional visa for visiting India. PIO card is a new option they are giving us with extra benifits over visitor visa. My baby has PIO card and we visited India last year with no problems.