TN vs. HIB visa Better?

sunilritu

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian citizen, currently I have a H1b visa and am married to a GC holder. I have found a new job as a registered nurse (my current one is not for an RN) and I am considering taking a TN visa for this one. Is it better or worse? I plan to get my green card through my husband once he is a US citizen. Looking for pros and cons...advice etc.

If you are confident you will be applying for your GC through your husband's US Citizenship, then I would recommed a TN - however, you can't apply for your GC through employment if you are on a TN visa - H-1's are the option in this case. Weigh both and see what works best for you. Being on a H-1 isn't all too bad either...but entry into the US seems easier on a TN through Canada -

Tn

You CAN NOT immigrate on TN status. You can change jobs and get them to apply for a new H1-B for you. It DOES NOT have to be approved before you accept a new job. It has to be filed before you can take job. You can work at a new job while it is pending. As for the travel to Canada that was brought up; on an H-1B there is no problem whatsoever.

Section 343 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA) of 1996 requires that certain non-U.S. healthcare professionals successfully complete a screening program prior to receiving an occupational visa. Screening includes an assessment of an applicant's education to ensure that it is comparable to a U.S. graduate in that same profession; verification that licenses are valid and unencumbered; English language proficiency; and, in the case of nurses, verification that the nurse has either earned a CGFNS Certificate or passed the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN® examination). READ BELOW

You can apply through www.CGFNS.org. Being from CANADA you DO NOT need to take the English Language Proficiecy exams. Unless you got your training in Quebec.

The health care occupations requiring certification are nurses (registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and licensed vocational nurses), physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists and audiologists, medical technologists (also known as clinical laboratory scientists), medical technicians (also known as clinical laboratory technicians) and physician assistants. Those occupations are required to present certificates indicating that they have been found to meet the requirements of sections 212(a)(5)(C) of the Act. Nurses also may establish that they meet the alternate certification requirements of section 212(r) of the Act.

Predictive Examination for Nurses
Applicants who wish to obtain an occupational visa to practice as nurses in the United States must present a CGFNS Certificate or a passing score on the NCLEX-RN® examination to provide proof of their nursing knowledge.

In order to obtain a CGFNS Certificate, applicants must successfully complete CGFNS' Certification Program, a three-part program, comprised of a credentials review, a one-day Qualifying Exam of nursing knowledge and an English language proficiency exam. Upon successful completion of all three elements of the program, applicants are awarded a CGFNS Certificate. Most states require the CGFNS Certificate from nurses educated abroad before they can take the NCLEX-RN® examination.

A file is complete when CGFNS/ICHP has received:
• A completed application
• All fees have been paid
• A copy of secondary education diploma
• The completed Request for Academic Records form and a copy of your transcripts sent to CGFNS/ICHP directly from the school. For physical therapists and occupational therapists only the school must also send official course descriptions.
• The Request for Validation of Registration/License form (for all licenses ever held) sent to CGFNS/ICHP directly from the licensing agency
• English language proficiency exam results sent to CGFNS/ICHP directly from the testing company
• For registered nurses only evidence of passing either the CGFNS Qualifying Exam or the NCLEX-RN
• For physical therapists only Рself reported summary of clinical experience

Once CGFNS/ICHP has received all the necessary documents, an evaluation of your file will be done by a CGFNS/ICHP International Credentialer. If you qualify to receive a VisaScreen? Certificate, it will be mailed to the address on file within 24 hours.