TN vs. H1B

minak27

Hi.

I am on Canadian TN and have a question on weather I should renew my TN (it will be my second renewal in Sept2009) or I should apply for a H1B visa. Ultimately, I would like to get a green card.

I was informed that the H1B will be effective, if I get one, in Oct2009. I am thinking of switching my job sometime this year. I know that it will be hard to switch to TN once I get a H1B. So my question is.. Would it be more difficult to switch jobs with a H1B than with a TN? I am thinking it may be harder to find a H1B sponsoring employer than a TN sponsoring employer. Is it true? Also, if I get an offer from other company before Oct2009, does this new employer need to sponsor for H1B and go through the whole application process or can they simply apply for TN?

Thank you very much in advance.

I know that it will be hard to switch to TN once I get a H1B.
Absolutely false. H1 and TN are non-immigrant status, getting one or the other never prevents you from switching. This has always been the case, and is even more surely so since TN and h1 have the same validity period.

So, while it may be harder to find another willing H1 sponsor, there is absolutely nothing preventing you from getting a future TN after having an H1.

This applies whether we are talking before or after your H1 is approved.