TN Visa

Udupi

Registered Users (C)
I am Canadian Citizen. I got an offer for a Tax Accountant job for only a few months (Seasonal).

Can I get a TN Visa for 4 months? Is there any salary requirements to obtain the TN Visa? If so, what is the minimum salary rate?

Can I change the employer under TN? Do I have to get new TN VIsa in case I change the employer? what is the procedure.

Any suggestions appreciated

Udupi

Can I get a TN Visa for 4 months?
Yes, your TN supporting letter has to state it is 4 months.

Is there any salary requirements to obtain the TN Visa? If so, what is the minimum salary rate?
Yes, your employer is supposed to pay you a prevailing salary. Bascially, not lower than the average local rate for the same job. Your TN letter has to state how much you'll be paid.

Can I change the employer under TN? Do I have to get new TN VIsa in case I change the employer? what is the procedure.
No, you have to get a new TN when you change employer. You can either do this within US by mail or go back to the border and reapply for a new TN at the border with the same document you had when you applied the first time.

Do you think $10/hr would be less for an accountant. It is a small-starting up company.

It probably won't fly. One of the things that USCIS does do is check to see that the salary makes sense for the position.

An Accountant making $36,000 per year? I don't think so.

Do you have a Bachelor's Degree in Business as an Accounting Major?

Or is this a bookkeeping position?

Or just a four month stint to help people do income Tax returns?

None of this sounds right - a little too fishy.

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing fishy here. It is small-startup company. I have MBA from Michigan University. I want to land into some job, accounting related, that's it. I am ready to take up any job - pay is not important to me.

I am getting offers for Financial planner/advisor position, for which I am not ready.

what if I mention tax preparer position? will it work?

what if I mention tax preparer position? will it work?

No, that doesn't sound professional at all. It's not on the TN job list either. You are better off applying as an accountant and try with 36k per year. 36k is pretty low for accountants even for fresh new grad with only bachelor degree in accounting. Big 4 usually starts new grad at 45k per year in Toronto. Anyways, if you can't find a job that meets your interest and pays better than this, you can give TN a try but make sure you have a backup plan in case TN is denied. Good luck.

I am not a recent graduate, I graduated in 2004, stayed home as a full time Mom. Now getting in a job market.

Even in Detroit, the min. salary for accountants is $48k -$50k. But I am not finding that kind of a job. though I am eligile to sit and get a license for CPA.

Mr. jiankai_yu, what do you mean by back up plan incase TN denied? Can't I apply for TN once it get rejected?

Thanks

Unfortunately these jobs don't sound like anything of real substance. I think you will have a hard time convincing USCIS that these are nothing more than book keeping or filling in tax forms for people. Better sit for the CPA or find a real job. What type of work did you do before?

Mr. jiankai_yu, what do you mean by back up plan incase TN denied? Can't I apply for TN once it get rejected?

You misunderstood me a little. Yes, you can apply for TN again if you get denied. However, USCIS will not change their mind unless you can provide evidence to convince them. If TN doesn't go through, make sure you have a backup plan, like finding a job in Canada or studying for CPA, etc. That's what I meant.

Udupi,

Have you ever worked in your field before? You sound very naive about all of this - the part about getting a proper accounting job. This all sounds way too weird.

Thank You, Mr. jiankai_yu - I have plans like that. I am already into it.

So far, I just studied. I have some experience back from India. I did lots of volunteer work during my MBA studies in US.

This is the first time I am seeking for TN. I afraid, b'coz of Michigan's bad economy I might not find suitable job. That's why I am ready to take up any job.

Well you have confirmed what I suspected. You have never really worked before - which means it will be even harder to find a job. The problem you are going to have is that you cannot simply take any job. You have to take one that appears on the list of TN approved occupations. In addition to that, they must pay you whatever the prevailing wage is for that field. And you are probably right, that Michigan will probably be one the hardest hit states in terms of looking for employment. The salaries and/or hourly wages you are looking at are totally unrealistic and are really more for bookkeepers or clerical level positions.

At this point in time the only thing I can think of is to find a job on the list where your MBA would apply or try and get a job under H1B. I suppose if you got your CPA, you might stand a better chance,

Wish I could be of more help.

I have an idea - since you are a Canadian citizen, why don't you get a job in Canada and get some experience so that you don't need to relocate to the US at McDonalds wages?

TRC, a little tough there aren't you?

Unfortunately while many TN holders are Canadian Citizens, they have not lived in Canada for very long if any periods of time. Many times it's merely a gateway to the U.S.
Sorry, but you have to admit the Canadian weather is a hard sell.

TRC, a little tough there aren't you?

I think it's a legitimate question - if the person has been in Canada for several years (long enough to become a citizen) there would hopefully be some ties and the ability to find a job.

If an MBA graduate is so desperate that they're willing to work for fast-food wages, then there is something very, very wrong.