TN visa with Masters of Accounting

grandmaster

I am a Canadian citizen. I will be pursuing a one-year masters of accounting next year, in the US from a major university. I also hold a Bachelors in Computer Science (4 year), and a Bachelors in Economics (2 years of study since I had a previous degree), each from a major Canadian University.

According to the TN occupation list, Accountants require a Bachelor degree or a designation. Since I do not have a four-year accounting bachelors degree, will the one year masters in accounting be sufficient and meet the TN occupation requirement?

Thank you and I appreciate all responses and your time.

The TN requirements are the minimal requirements. A higher degree (eg a master's instead of a bachelor's) is perfectly acceptable.

I know quite a bit about US immigration law (although I'm not a lawyer) but know quite a bit less about how accountants are trained. If there were no immigration issues involved (i.e. if the aspiring accountant were a US citizen) is this the usual path to become an accountant? Can a US citizen be hired as an accountant with a master's of accounting or would they need to complete a CPA exam or something first? As long as you are following the usual path for a US accountant, and your job offer letter says 'Accountant' (not something else) you should be OK with a master's as opposed to a bachelor's.

Thank you for your reply.

There is no one path to becoming an accountant. A US citizen can hold a four year bachelor accounting degree, or an unrelated bachelor degree plus a masters in accounting, and work as an accountant. Both paths can then lead to the person challenging the CPA exams/certification should they want a professional designation.