TN Visa renewal

CanGuy

Hi all:

I am a Canadian citizen. My TN visa will expire in June 2024. This will be my 3rd renewal. How far in advance can I renew at the PoE?
Can I renew in February 2024 as I will be heading to Canada for a week and then return to Canada. Appreciate your time and advise.

Thanks,

CanGuy

Hi all:

I am a Canadian citizen. My TN visa will expire in June 2024. This will be my 3rd renewal. How far in advance can I renew at the PoE?
Can I renew in February 2024 as I will be heading to Canada for a week and then return to Canada. Appreciate your time and advise.

Thanks,

CanGuy
If you are heading to a border - may be 1-2 weeks before expiry of the current I94. For 2 of my TNs, I did renew it before 2 weeks.

Thank you CDN9 - Would they entertain me at the border if I submit for renewal at least 5 months prior to expiration of the current I-94?

Cheers,

CanGuy

Absolutely not. Cdn9 told you: 1-2 weeks.

You would entertain them: they would laugh you out of the office.

Nelson -

Thanks. I am planning on applying for the GC since my employer is willing to sponsor. With this in mind, I am looking at the most appropriate time frame so that I can begin the process. I've been lurking this forum and it has been very informative. I just want to make sure that my TN is valid during the entire process, for the obvious reason.

So I take it that if its 1-2 weeks prior to expiration of existing I-94, it would be only prudent to initiate the GC process, post TN extension + the 90 day period, which essentially puts me in October 2024 to begin the GC process, and not now.
Thanks once again for your guidance, it is much appreciated.

B/rgds,

CanGuy

Your other, better, choice is to have your employer file an I-129 extension now (you can file that 6 month prior to expiration).
But "initiating" the GC process has MANY steps before actually applying for GC (PERM,I-140, etc) , none of which put your TN in jeopardy, and can/should be started now.

Hi Nelson:

Checked with my employer and unfortunately they do not want to apply for the I29 extension, now. They did not give me a reason as to why. They said that they will first have to submit the PWD request, which apparently will take 5 to 6 months. Once that is obtained, they will then proceed with the recruitment process. I was hoping that they would get the GC process started now, as per yours above.

Thanks,

CanGuy

Thank you CDN9 - Would they entertain me at the border if I submit for renewal at least 5 months prior to expiration of the current I-94?

Cheers,

CanGuy

5 months before, the officers will definitely tell you to go away and come back right before old TN expires / desires start date of new TN.

At San Ysidro I tried 2 weeks in advance, they told me it was too early & come back 3 days before. Other ports / other officers may tolerate up to 2 weeks. My gut tells me < 1 week is save, 1-2 weeks = 50% chance they'll refuse to process. 2+ weeks = 99% chance they'll refuse.

Thank you very much Grant2 for substantiating, I will definitely make sure I head there just a week before expiring of my I94.
Thanks once again and have a great night.

Hi Epr: Not yet. As per my below, based on advise from Nelson and Grant, I shall only head for renewal a week before expiration.
When does your TN expire?

Hi Epr: Not yet. As per my below, based on advise from Nelson and Grant, I shall only head for renewal a week before expiration.
When does your TN expire?
I got my TN renewed a week ago while my existing i94(TN) is good until June 2024.

Thanks Epr0909. That's pretty interesting. Seems like they will renew at least a month and half prior to expiration of the existing TN. Perhaps the renewal rules have changed? Was your TN renewed with the same job and employer? So I guess your existing I94 that is good until 2024 will be null and void since the I94 associated with your renewed TN will override it?

Thanks Epr0909. That's pretty interesting. Seems like they will renew at least a month and half prior to expiration of the existing TN. Perhaps the renewal rules have changed? Was your TN renewed with the same job and employer? So I guess your existing I94 that is good until 2024 will be null and void since the I94 associated with your renewed TN will override it?
The initial question was about being early, which I anticipated and was prepared for. It's crucial to present oneself effectively and provide context for the reason behind seeking renewal. Inappropriate or baseless responses may not lead to approval. In my case, it's the same employer and role.