TN Visa Renewal

Manuel0822

Registered Users (C)
Hi all.

I've been on TN status for a couple years now, last time got a TN approval by mail to work for a new employer and then left previous employer position. Being a Mexican we do need a Consular processing Visa stamp on our passports. We all got this renew on last December back home but it's under my previous employer name.

My family is planning on going back home for the summer and I'm now wondering if they will be OK to cross the border under the Tn visa on their passport which is (or was) still valid 'til Dec this year or will they need to re apply for a new Tn visa stamp while they are back there? I have the impression they'll need a new one but wanted to ask just to make sure.

Thanks in advance!!!

As long as you are in TN status, then your family is legally allowed to be in TD status. If you change employers, but still remain in TN status (change TN sponsor), then it has no impact on your family's TD status. Their status is only tied to the fact that you are in TN status, it does not matter if you are changing sponsors.

So your family's TD status is good until December. They can cross the border this summer with their TD's and not worry about anything.