TN Visa Questions: Visa Application & Importing a Vehicle

wilcoxr

Hey gang,

I plan to move from Calgary, Alberta to Fort Worth, Texas on a TN visa status in January 2022. Like many before me, I have SO many questions as it's intimidating leaving a high paying Canadian job for so many unknowns surrounding a US employment opportunity. I currently have a TN1 NAFTA application letter from my employer (the letter format has been successfully used for previous Canadian employees in the past). In my particular situation, some of the questions I have are:

1. Is there a more convenient way to apply for my TN Visa?....Part of me wants to make a "dry run" prior to crossing with the U-Haul van full of my belongings to ensure there are no complications. Is an airport POE an option without a plane ticket to Fort Worth?.....or would one suggest driving to the border "empty" to apply for the TN visa and then turning around and packing up one's life/belongings once I know the TN Visa has been granted??

2. For ease of convenience, I am shipping 2 horses down to Texas via Foothills Transport. That being said I will be crossing the boarder with my dually and horse trailer when I go to apply for my TN Visa at the Sweet Grass POE. I know I have a 1 year duty free grace period from time of entry to import my truck/trailer, but since I know the truck/trailer will not be returning to Canada within the 1 year, can I just import it when I originally cross? (I would have all documentation such as the letter of compliance from manufacturer, appropriate DOT Vehicle Declaration Form (HS-7) and EPA Vehicle Declaration Form (3520-1) filled out and ready prior to entry). Since my truck is manufactured in the US and I intend to import it for personal use only, what do the import fees look like?...I shouldn't have to pay duty on either the truck or trailer because both are made in the USA. I am finding it very difficult to find supporting information on this topic and any help would be greatly appreciated. I even went as far as calling the Sweet Grass border and talking to a NAFTA official about this scenario. I'm not sure he was up to date on his knowledge of this matter as he basically told me that as long as the vehicle was manufactured in the US and I had all the documentation filled out there "isn't really an import fee". I'm sure this information I received is inaccurate haha...it cant be that easy I know that.

Thanks in advance, any insight is greatly appreciated!

Regards.

Don't worry, the process is smooth not intimidating at all,

I advise doing the sry run that is what I did, processed TN and came back, now moving there in 1st week of Jan 2022.

Just want to share my TN experience

Peace Bridge - 13 Dec 2021
Title - Project Engineer
Profession - Engineer (Mechanical Engineer)

Documents (originals)
Job offer letter
TN support letter from employer
Canadian Masters degree in Mechanical engineering
Masters Transcript
Passport

Additional submitted
Foreign Bachelor degree in Mechanical engineering (officer just asked he said he just like to see the previous degree, no degree evaluation provided)
Bachelors Transcript
Provincial P.Eng license

TD for spouse
Marriage certificate
Passport (Canadian citizen)

The border officer was very friendly. I never thought this would be so quick. He asks me only one question about what the company does and what is my role.

The whole process was I believe less than 15 minutes.

Approved for 3 years.

Share your background if I can help.

Don't worry, the process is smooth not intimidating at all,

I advise doing the sry run that is what I did, processed TN and came back, now moving there in 1st week of Jan 2022.

Just want to share my TN experience

Peace Bridge - 13 Dec 2021
Title - Project Engineer
Profession - Engineer (Mechanical Engineer)

Documents (originals)
Job offer letter
TN support letter from employer
Canadian Masters degree in Mechanical engineering
Masters Transcript
Passport

Additional submitted
Foreign Bachelor degree in Mechanical engineering (officer just asked he said he just like to see the previous degree, no degree evaluation provided)
Bachelors Transcript
Provincial P.Eng license

TD for spouse
Marriage certificate
Passport (Canadian citizen)

The border officer was very friendly. I never thought this would be so quick. He asks me only one question about what the company does and what is my role.

The whole process was I believe less than 15 minutes.

Approved for 3 years.

Share your background if I can help.
Amazing!! Glad things went so smoothly for you!

When you did your "dry run" and got your TN visa, did you just drive up the road a bit then turn around and re-entered Canada?

Hi I went to KINGSTON poe on 24 Dec officer reviewed my application and mentioned that he didn’t understand what was written on roles and responsibilities as it was written in Java technical terms he said he wants me to correct it.
And sent me back . Do I need to considered as denied. He didn’t gave me and denied letter or stamped.
I’m confused please help in clarifying.

Hi I went to KINGSTON poe on 24 Dec officer reviewed my application and mentioned that he didn’t understand what was written on roles and responsibilities as it was written in Java technical terms he said he wants me to correct it.
And sent me back . Do I need to considered as denied. He didn’t gave me and denied letter or stamped.
I’m confused please help in clarifying.
Can anyone please shed some light on this please