TN Visa holder travelling outside North America

Raj009

Registered Users (C)
I am a TN visa holder located in California. I need to travel to India this week. Do I need to hand over the I-94 at California POE? If I hand over the I-94 then will I face any issues while coming back to USA?
Thanks for your help .

I am a TN visa holder located in California. I need to travel to India this week. Do I need to hand over the I-94 at California POE? If I hand over the I-94 then will I face any issues while coming back to USA?
Thanks for your help .

It is better to keep your TN (the I-94) detached from your passport while getting the boarding pass (in order to prevent the airline official to take it away from you). This will ensure your smooth entry back into the US on the TN status. If you give it away, then you will have to carry all the docs required for the TN and get the new TN. In that case, you will probably pay the $50 fee again.

i travelled overseas with a TN visa i handed back the original I-94. I took a copy of my I-94, an employment verification letter from my employer and a copy of my last paystub and my previous tax return 1040. on the way back problem wasnt having a TN visa. the problem was the Inspecting officer didnt know much about TN (very unique visa and lots of officers dont have proper training for it). he ended up sending me to the CBP office in the airport. after verifying my TN visa they stamped the new I-94.

Thanks guys. But the law specifically states that we need to hand over the I-94 while travelling outside North America. The irony is that for TN, I-94 is the only proof that specifies the multiple entry status. Most airline officials club TN's with other visas while dealing with I-94.

Thanks guys. But the law specifically states that we need to hand over the I-94 while travelling outside North America. The irony is that for TN, I-94 is the only proof that specifies the multiple entry status. Most airline officials club TN's with other visas while dealing with I-94.

Many TNers do this - you are not violating the law as such. The border official might remind/scold you when you come back - for not handing over the I-94 - that's all.

Nope you don't need to hand in the I-94. Just as mentioned keep it seperated from your passport and you won't have any problems. I was in India on my TN status years back and I just had my TN seperate and never had a problem getting back in...

I strongly support sshakeny's opinion. I spent more then 6 years on TN and travelled out of US many times and did exactly what he is suggesting and never had any issues. This also what was advised by my company lawyer.