TN Visa by Mail option, please advise

tinacanadian

Hi,

I'm a canadian visiting US on a visitors visa which I have for 4 months. Recently I have received a job offer as a management consultant on a contract for 10 months. I prefer not to go to the us/can border to get the TN. Would it be possible for me to file by Mail or e-file? I'm aware of the express processing fee of $1000 which is not a problem.

If it is possible, then I believe I should use the I-129 form and send the offer letter with my experience reference letters from previous employers to try for the TN visa.

I want to save the headache of travelling back and forth plus dealing with the customs officer. would this be a safe bet for me.

Please if someone can advise.

Thank you kindly,

Tina

yes you can send a I-129 to Vermont to apply for TN status if you are already in the US with a valid status (B-1) and have a valid I-94 as a result.
You will need to send the following to Vermont:
I-129 form and TN suppliment
copy of front and back of you I-94
Copy of the bio page of your passport (proof that you are a CDN citizen)
resume
personal checks or money orders for $190 + $1000 premium proccesing
original employment letter
transcripts and copy of diploma.
and any other relevent evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue with obtaining TN Status for the first time by mail is that you cannot work until you have it (this making it ideal for getting a new TN while still working on a current one). For the first time, since you won't be able to start, many companies aren't willing to wait for an undefined time period until you get your TN cleared and approved.

Now not sure how the expediate processing is for quickness, for $1000 I would hope it's pretty fast, however, you it all comes down on timing and mail and if they have everything they need to review your application etc and most importatly how long your soon to be new employer is willing to wait. This is why many get thier first TN at the border since it's immediate.

Hopefully the $1000 will make it come quickly and the employer won't have to wait long to actually get you started working...

Thanks gunt, I have all my paperwork in order, as for the degree I don't have one, since I'm applying for Management Consultant, I have plenty of experience which will be evident in the reference letters from my previous employers.

Warlord, my employers are have given me total 3 weeks, the previous employee for that position will be leaving end of the month so I do still have some time. hopefully everything goes fine.

Here's the thing, I started travelling here in US Aug 2005, I stayed for 4 months with still travelling back and forth across the border during those those 4 months,so it wasn't straight 4 months. Then January 06 I went to US for a 1 month, this time the c officer gave me an I-94 for 30days. Now its been a year, since last visit and I was informed that if were to travel to the US for longer than 90 days I should use the visitor's visa, which I have done. Now I'm here in US on visitor's visa. Now with a job offer, I hope my application for a tn visa won't be denied because of my history which doesn't seem much of a problem.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!